Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I think it would be kind of foolish to try and recreate this team next year. Similar to moving on from Royce in 2012, it's very unlikely that we're going to bring in one player that can do all the things Kane does. Fred is going to have to re-define this offense yet again.

So if you assume, look at the current projected starting lineup of Morris-Naz-Hogue-Nader/McKay-Niang and tell me which player is the one you definitely don't trust as a starter and is the clear number one priority to recruit over. I'm not saying we don't need to look for a talent upgrade for next year, I'm just saying, I don't think it definitely has to be a 2-guard.

I love Naz, but objectively what position do you think is more of a weakness than the 2? Morris has been solid all year and our only confirmed HS recruit is another solid true PG. Ejim will be a big loss, but we can have some combination of Nader/McKay/Hogue filling out the 3/4 (in different ways). There is no replacing Kane.

Obviously Naz has been coming on really strong late here, but he also spent the better part of the conference season really struggling. He's still only averaging 19.9 MPG (less than Thomas even). Naz and Thomas will be a big part of next year's team, but that is clearly the position with the most question marks. Don't get me wrong, I think we will be fine with Thomas and Naz at the 2, but I definitely would feel better if we had some other options to fall back on if they struggle again.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I love Naz, but objectively what position do you think is more of a weakness than the 2? Morris has been solid all year and our only confirmed HS recruit is another solid true PG. Ejim will be a big loss, but we can have some combination of Nader/McKay/Hogue filling out the 3/4 (in different ways). There is no replacing Kane.

Obviously Naz has been coming on really strong late here, but he also spent the better part of the conference season really struggling. He's still only averaging 19.9 MPG (less than Thomas even). Naz and Thomas will be a big part of next year's team, but that is clearly the position with the most question marks. Don't get me wrong, I think we will be fine with Thomas and Naz at the 2, but I definitely would feel better if we had some other options to fall back on if they struggle again.

Excellent analysis! Good post!

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We have just 1 spot open next year right?

No we have two open currently. We lose Ejim, Kane, Bluford and Bubu. We gain McKay and Custer.

That leaves two spots but I would assume we will lose one of our own so that would make three.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

It's probably the 2, but I don't think it's the same as last year when we were definitely screwed if we don't get an experienced point or combo guard to lead really inexperienced backcourt. If say a Will Clyburn-type player became available I don't think we'd have to pass on him to save a scholarship for a guard, that's all I'm saying.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
It's probably the 2, but I don't think it's the same as last year when we were definitely screwed if we don't get an experienced point or combo guard to lead really inexperienced backcourt. If say a Will Clyburn-type player became available I don't think we'd have to pass on him to save a scholarship for a guard, that's all I'm saying.

Oh I definitely agree with that. I think we are in good shape with whatever happens. Maybe SDW will have a Naz-like stepforward next year. Who knows?

Just keep in mind we have 2 scholarships still open and we have yet to have a single off-season under Fred (or even going back to McD?) without a transfer-out as well. Maybe Bluford will be the only defection this year, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that there will be a spot open late even if Fred were interested in this guy (which he very well may not be!).

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Oh I definitely agree with that. I think we are in good shape with whatever happens. Maybe SDW will have a Naz-like stepforward next year. Who knows?

Just keep in mind we have 2 scholarships still open and we have yet to have a single off-season under Fred (or even going back to McD?) without a transfer-out as well. Maybe Bluford will be the only defection this year, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that there will be a spot open late even if Fred were interested in this guy (which he very well may not be!).

Yea, in all honesty, I'm sure Fred IS looking for another guard to compete with Monte, Naz, and Thomas (and I suppose SDW) for minutes, especially since we have multiple open scholarships still. But I don't expect him to reach out of desperation for guys that aren't a sure thing like he did last spring with Bluford and that non-qualifier USC transfer.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
No we have two open currently. We lose Ejim, Kane, Bluford and Bubu. We gain McKay and Custer.

That leaves two spots but I would assume we will lose one of our own so that would make three.

Is it bad that I already forgot he started the season here :unsure:

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Rebels

From this article it sounds like UNLOL is going to lose some more kids. Not only can Rice not coach, sounds like he can't manage a team either.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

Forward(s) will arguably be thinner until McKay is eligible. During 1st semester forward rotation ATM seems to be Nader, Hogue, and Niang, with some Edozie sprinkled in.

A big Guard who could play some 3 would be nice...

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
I'm sure he's very talented, and I'll never talk about anyone being a locker room cancer as those types of rumors have come back to bite posters who've made uninformed guesses around here, but it sounds like this guy is done with basketball. In that article he indicated he's going to finish degree at UNLV and then pursue professional(not sure if that means basketball or otherwise) opportunities.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I think I must be the only one who isn't worried about the "2" spot. This is Thomas' and for the most part Naz's first year playing. They are getting used to Big 12 basketball. If Hoiberg says that Thomas has one of the best strokes he has ever seen, I am going to believe him. I agree we will need someone that can drive to the basket like Kane has done this year, but I think Morris is more than capable of doing that. He hasn't done it this year because Kane has been taking care of it.

Also SDW has a wide variety of offensive skills and could end up being a dangerous scorer in the Big 12 if he gets the rest of his game figured out...defense primarily

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm sure he's very talented, and I'll never talk about anyone being a locker room cancer as those types of rumors have come back to bite posters who've made uninformed guesses around here, but it sounds like this guy is done with basketball. In that article he indicated he's going to finish degree at UNLV and then pursue professional(not sure if that means basketball or otherwise) opportunities.
2nd chances can go a long way with a young man. Many are greatful and know it's the last opportunity and to make the best of it.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Rebels

From this article it sounds like UNLOL is going to lose some more kids. Not only can Rice not coach, sounds like he can't manage a team either.

“It’s an honor to be at a program that does not automatically embrace a 20-win season." Wow, doesn't sound like national championship aspirations to me.