I'm thinking Final Four

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
I really hope that is the case, I think a trip to the Sweet 16 is first in line for us...It seems like teams need to build up to milestones....Like the first year with CFH, got blown out to the eventual national champ in the second round, last year, should have won that game against Ohio St. This year, make another step and win that second game, and get to the second weekend. Maybe take two extra steps this year, but it would be a tough leap for this year's team to make it that far, I would love for it to happen, but the D is not there, and if we are not hot from beyond the arc, games can get ugly. Just think if we had McGee this year?

I think a Sweet 16 is a good goal for the program, and since we should be a 5 seed or higher, we should see a blue blood team before that round anyways.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Sure we can. Just hope we take care of the rest of the season for a decent seed, play our best ball, anything possible.

If we play like we did Monday night, could lose to a 14 seed easily. So, we'll see...enjoy the ride!

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
After our horrific defense against WVU (no, 102 points wasn't a "lucky" day for them. It's easy to score that much when we don't play defense), I think you're crazy. We shall see what happens and if we can fix our defense and start hitting more outside shots. This team has a long way to go before I see us getting past the first weekend.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
We should probably focus on beating Tech first and go from there. We're currently on a one-game losing streak

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
You're the same guy that made a thread asking if we could get a #1 seed in the tourney. Right?

By the way, I see you are a new member, welcome to Cyclone Fanatic.

EDIT: LOL my bad, you're not the #1 seed in the tourney guy, you're the ISU = Kentucky thread guy. LOL.

And you have yet to tell my why we can't win 4 straight in the tourney or why we can't be ranked in the top 15 on a year-in year-out basis. I think you're just here to troll me. Sorry for being positive and for being a big fan.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
im_thinking_arbys-18849.jpg
WTF, don't Mencia me, bro.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
After our horrific defense against WVU (no, 102 points wasn't a "lucky" day for them. It's easy to score that much when we don't play defense), I think you're crazy. We shall see what happens and if we can fix our defense and start hitting more outside shots. This team has a long way to go before I see us getting past the first weekend.

I agree, and if we run into someone that hits 60% of their 3's and 90% of their FT's in the tourney, we'll be done, but so will most teams, which is why I stated that everyone's percent chances of getting to the final four are usually teens at best.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Kinda goes without saying but we need to shoot better from the outside to realistically have a shot. Our spacing seems off and teams are forcing us inside for shots. Gotta do a better job passing out of the high post to open shooters. We've seemed to have lost that. Fred will have us ready. Just have to make it out of the first weekend. Finish strong and get a good seed and you never know. I wouldn't be satisfied with the Sweet 16 but if we can get there you never know what happens above or below you in the bracket. My biggest concern with our team right now is fatigue. Not an excuse for WVU but we looked TIRED against them and TCU. Melvin's effort overshadowed what seemed like a team with no legs.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
This looks like a "I'm going to put this out there so on the off chance they do actually go to the final four and I can resurrect the thread and I say I told you so" thread

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
How confident are we that Iowa State could win one of the following sets of four games, away from Hilton, over the course of two weekends?

North Dakota State, Louisville | Syracuse, San Diego State
Delaware, UConn | Florida, Duke
Green Bay, Virginia | Arizona, Michigan State
Belmont, St. Louis | Wichita State, Villanova

That's a basic idea what a Final Four run would require this season.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
How confident are we that Iowa State could win one of the following sets of four games, away from Hilton, over the course of two weekends?

I guarantee that some of those higher seeds won't be there. Just like last year. Anything goes in the tournament. I don't see a team we can't beat. But it won't be easy.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
This looks like a "I'm going to put this out there so on the off chance they do actually go to the final four and I can resurrect the thread and I say I told you so" thread

I promise you that won't happen. But if we make the Final Four, will you be mad if I do? :)

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
This could be fun...
IMO.
North Dakota State, Louisville | Syracuse, San Diego State - ~50/50 odds. Cuse would be a big upset though, I could it happening, Orange have trouble scoring at times.
Delaware, UConn | Florida, Duke - Doubtful, Flordia has so many athletes and length, Duke scoring would be trouble for ISU.
Green Bay, Virginia | Arizona, Michigan State - Doubtful. UV, Arizona and MSU could all be final 4 representatives. Zona's and MSU's recent injuries would give ISU a punchers chance. if MSU get Appling back at 100% I would say Sparty would be the favorite.
Belmont, St. Louis | Wichita State, Villanova - Like ISU's oppertunity in this scenerio.

Lesson here for me, is ISU could make a final 4 but it all depends on matchups... that's what makes last years close loss to Ohio St. so fustrating. I do feel pretty confident that CFH can get to week two in most cases, which is the next step for his program. Everything else would be gravy.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines

The exact reason why I'm confident in our chances. I honestly believe that there aren't any teams out there that we can't beat and I think that we will be as prepared as any team. It will still be tough.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Over the past few years there have been a few teams that are the caliber of ISU's current team that have made the final 4. There have been about 10 times that number that have not made the final 4. Using that math, I put our chances at about 10%.