I'm thinking Final Four

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
ISU fans should not want any part of San Diego State. I think they would eat ISU alive with their swarming defense. Someone is going to have to hit a ton of tough shots to beat them.

You mean like Wyoming?

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
If anything gets me thinking Final Four for our boys, it's a getting a good old fashioned curb-stomping by WVU earlier in the week.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's possible. All it will take is the right draw. It nearly happened the last two years. Last year if we didn't get hosed in Dayton, we were set up to make a deep run, and the year before had we been placed anywhere but in Kentucky's region we would have made a deep run as well.

Not getting my hopes up, just saying with the right path anything is possible.

AZClone84

Dec 17, 2013
The difference between a second round exit and Final Four is razor thin. There are probably 30 teams in that category (see Wichita State, Butler, VCU, George Mason making the Final Four) and ISU is one of them.

This team can score, they're mentally tough, and very well coached. But they are not a great defensive team and need to score a lot to win against good teams.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
I am sure that is probably true. I just don't remember feeling that as much with the last two ISU teams. With the way they could shoot, I knew we had a shot in every game we played. With the way this team shoots, we have a chance to lose just about every game.

What? This team doesn't rely completely on shooting the 3 like the last 2 and is less susceptible to a let down game. For example, the only real letdown game we've had this year is WVU, whereas the last few years there's been considerably more. I agree that the last two teams could've beaten anyone on any given night, but if you felt that about those teams I don't see how you don't feel the same about this team. If you felt better about the last two teams' chances at a Final Four than this one I don't know what to tell you.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Pretty sure a team that can get blown out by WV will be lucky to get past the first round. Final Four teams don't do that.

The last two years we lost to Drake and a horrible Texas Tech team. Would you say those two teams were lucky to make it past the first round? Those two losses are way worse than a loss on the road to a bubble team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This team has the capability to beat just about anyone this year--that's more about how...not good college basketball is than anything else, because they are very capable of losing to just about anyone as well.

Unless something happens, this team doesn't have the defensive presence or dominance to make me feel like they can go on that kind of run.

SanFrancysco

Feb 9, 2014
I think we either make the round of 32 or Elite 8. We play well with time to prepare (generally), and seem to struggle on quick turnarounds. I have no doubt that we'll be prepared for the first round (probably a 4 or 5 seed) and will get a W. The 2nd round will be against another 4 or 5 (unless there's an upset, which is pretty common at in the 4/13 or 5/12 game, but both are generally fairly evenly matched), which will be a winnable game. IF we can get past that game, I think we'll be ready for our Sweet 16 opponent and give them a good game. And we probably get bounced in the Elite 8 (if we advance past the Sweet 16). My two cents...

SanFrancysco

Feb 9, 2014
all I can say is let's win the next game. worrying about the Final Four is too far away.

I'm pretty sure whether we talk about year 2016 or 1988, they will play the game on Saturday without us. So, I think it's ok if we talk about the NCAA Tourney today...

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
The last two years we lost to Drake and a horrible Texas Tech team. Would you say those two teams were lucky to make it past the first round? Those two losses are way worse than a loss on the road to a bubble team.

I'm sorry, I missed the parts of the last two tournaments when those teams made the Final Four.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I honestly believe we had more talent on the roster last year and if they had been a little bit more of stomp on the necks of the opponent type of players they would have been an elite 8 team. This year has that mentality (which I think Kane and Hogue help a great deal with) but we dont have the same talent level or shooting but we can score well in the post (posting up and driving). Im interested to see which is better to have in the tournament, its possible an elite 8 team is in the cards if were playing well, its going to be an interesting ride.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
I'm sorry, I missed the parts of the last two tournaments when those teams made the Final Four.

This thread is just identifying the Final Four as a possibility. The whole conversation has been about how this year's team and past years teams could beat anyone on any given night. So your comment is pretty irrelevant to the current discussion.

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
The key is producing a team each year that makes the tournament and is good enough to make a run. The best programs in the nation don't make the final four every year but they almost always have a good chance to make the final four every year. I feel like we have a good chance this year and if we keep this up we will make the final four this year or very soon!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Arizona played like crap tonight. They looked uninspired, subdued, shaky. ASU hustled more and deserved to win despite some stupid plays on their part. Arizona had a tough time making free throws and came close to fouling out their starters: one fouled out and four had four fouls. They looked beatable by any number of teams. Freshman Aaron Gordon played soft.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
You mean like Wyoming?

We are talking about an Iowa State team that just got curb stomped by West Virginia, right? Go play Wyoming at 7,300 feet of altitude and see just how fast Iowa State runs at the end of the game.