I'm thinking Final Four

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Our shooting (or lack thereof) will keep us from making a deep run in the tournament. I like so much about this team but still feel a bit like they are doing it with smoke and mirrors. Fred can find ways to put us in the position to score but I am not sure we have the players to make it so.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
If this website existed back in 2001, I guarantee you that someone would have said this exact same thing, especially after the 2000 season...thank goodness this wasnt here for that meltdown.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I would say we have an outstanding chance to make the sweet 16, depending on who loses and what matchups come our way, i think the elite 8 is a possibility but if we make it to the elite 8 we will have had to go through a #1 seed. We are projected 3-5 seed, that means we will most likely meet a #1 in the sweet 16, (Florida, Arizona, KU, Syracuse) but if they get knocked off which could happen i see us in the elite 8.

Wichita State will be a #1 seed as long as they remain unbeaten. I know... it's hard to believe a team being a #1 seed that A) Isn't a blue blood program B) Is in a weak mid major conference C) Has an SOS barely in the top 100 D) Stands a solid chance of having played only 1 RPI top 50 team all season when everything is said and done.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them become the first #1 seed to fall to a 16 seed in tournament history. If they survive their opening game to face the winner of the 8 vs 9 game they will most likely be facing the best team they will have played all season. How freaking sad is that?

If the selection committee actually looked at things objectively and compared resumes there is no way Wichita State would be seeded any higher then a 3 seed even if they are undefeated. Teams thrown in a regional with Wichita State are getting an absolute gift if the Shockers manage to snag a #1 seed.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Over the past few years there have been a few teams that are the caliber of ISU's current team that have made the final 4. There have been about 10 times that number that have not made the final 4. Using that math, I put our chances at about 10%.
Year Seed Teams, Winner in Bold
1, 4, 4, 9
L'Ville, Syracuse, Michigan, Wichita State
1, 2, 2, 4
Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio St., L'ville
3, 4, 8, 11
UConn, Kentucky, Butler, VCU
1, 2, 5, 5
Duke, W. Virginia, Butler, Mich. St.

Last 4 years Final 4's with seed... ISU is currently projected to be a 3-4 seed. While I won't go as far to predict a Final 4 appearence, I think ISU chances are better than 10 percent.
Then again I am a half glass full type guy especially when ISU is ranked 11th.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
I promise you that won't happen. But if we make the Final Four, will you be mad if I do? :)

I'm sure I would be too pumped to get mad about it. Don't mind me, I'm sick and in a bad mood so my levels of cynicism today are even higher then normal. Keep that optimism.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I know what you're thinking and no, I'm not drunk or on drugs (nothing illegal anyways). I honestly think that we have an outstanding chance to get to the Final Four (by outstanding, I mean in relation to other teams' chances).

Here's why: 4 of our losses came on the road and guess what, there are no road games in the tourney! Our only home loss was a joke and a fluke. I mean Kane was hurt and Ejim was in foul trouble, the refs were terrible, Wiggins and Embiid had their best games of the seasons, Kansas was hitting their peak and played lights out, shooting 51%, did I mention the refs? The only called 13 fouls on KU! Despite that, we still were within a point late!

We can hang with anyone, and I would absolutely hate to have to prepare for our style and athleticism. Also, if there's a big game to be played, I want Fred game-planning and calling the shots. Looking at a lot of the bracketologies, I have realized how well we match up with so many of the 1's and 2's. We also have 2 all-American caliber players that can take over the game at any time and are impossible to game plan for.

I really think that this is our year! I can't wait for March....and April! :)

Go Cyclones!!!

Syracuse & Wichita State: zero losses
Arizona: only loss on the road
Florida: only losses on the road
SDSU: only home loss to #2 Arizona
Kansas: only home loss to #5 SDSU
Nova: only home loss to ranked Creighton team that went insane from 3
Duke: only losses on road or neutral sites
etc...

ISU isn't unique in their situation. If that's what you're basing your hopes on then...

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
This could be fun...
IMO.
North Dakota State, Louisville | Syracuse, San Diego State - ~50/50 odds. Cuse would be a big upset though, I could it happening, Orange have trouble scoring at times.
Delaware, UConn | Florida, Duke - Doubtful, Flordia has so many athletes and length, Duke scoring would be trouble for ISU.
Green Bay, Virginia | Arizona, Michigan State - Doubtful. UV, Arizona and MSU could all be final 4 representatives. Zona's and MSU's recent injuries would give ISU a punchers chance. if MSU get Appling back at 100% I would say Sparty would be the favorite.
Belmont, St. Louis | Wichita State, Villanova - Like ISU's oppertunity in this scenerio.

Lesson here for me, is ISU could make a final 4 but it all depends on matchups... that's what makes last years close loss to Ohio St. so fustrating. I do feel pretty confident that CFH can get to week two in most cases, which is the next step for his program. Everything else would be gravy.

ISU fans should not want any part of San Diego State. I think they would eat ISU alive with their swarming defense. Someone is going to have to hit a ton of tough shots to beat them.

DiehardClone

Jan 29, 2014
Our shooting (or lack thereof) will keep us from making a deep run in the tournament. I like so much about this team but still feel a bit like they are doing it with smoke and mirrors. Fred can find ways to put us in the position to score but I am not sure we have the players to make it so.

Fans everywhere feels this way. If you don't believe me, go to the boards for Michigan State, Arizona or even Syracuse. Everybody finds something to worry about, it's human nature.

I'd wager that the last time there was a top 10 team where the fanbase didn't feel their team was winning with smoke and mirrors was Kentucky from three years ago.

I'm not suggesting our team is invincible, but with the combination of Ejim, Kane and Niang, I do like our chances this year. We've never had a trio of that calibre. But of course, we've got to play better defense tomorrow and beat Tech.

JackCyclone

Jan 31, 2013
What will be necessary for us to get a 2 seed? Pretty much win out with maybe a championship game loss in the Big 12 tourney?

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
Syracuse & Wichita State: zero losses
Arizona: only loss on the road
Florida: only losses on the road
SDSU: only home loss to #2 Arizona
Kansas: only home loss to #5 SDSU
Nova: only home loss to ranked Creighton team that went insane from 3
Duke: only losses on road or neutral sites
etc...

ISU isn't unique in their situation. If that's what you're basing your hopes on then...

They also have great chances, as do we. I'm not saying we have the best chance, but that I like our chances. Also, so many of those teams don't play the caliber of teams we do. The MVC, SEC, and Pac 12 are terrible. ACC is as down as it's been in a long time, and the Big 12 is the best conference, so we're going to have more losses, but will be more tested.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
I like your optimism but this team doesn't shoot free throws well enough or play well enough defense against athletic teams. If we can't hit the broad side of a barn on a given night when playing a real aggressive zone defense will also hinder us. There are too many variables that go into each game that have deciding factors on outcomes. But I do like this team for when something isn't going right, Fred does a great job on the fly of making adjustments. They are a togh minded group of individuals who will play hard until the end (minus at WVU). So, I will just enjoy the ride wherever it may take us and appreciate these guys for who they are...Cyclones

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Fans everywhere feels this way. If you don't believe me, go to the boards for Michigan State, Arizona or even Syracuse. Everybody finds something to worry about, it's human nature.

I'd wager that the last time there was a top 10 team where the fanbase didn't feel their team was winning with smoke and mirrors was Kentucky from three years ago.

I'm not suggesting our team is invincible, but with the combination of Ejim, Kane and Niang, I do like our chances this year. We've never had a trio of that calibre. But of course, we've got to play better defense tomorrow and beat Tech.

I am sure that is probably true. I just don't remember feeling that as much with the last two ISU teams. With the way they could shoot, I knew we had a shot in every game we played. With the way this team shoots, we have a chance to lose just about every game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Remember, "as good of a shot as anybody" still means single-digit to teens percent of a chance. So many teams with glaring weaknesses and playing in the best conference in the nation makes me believe we can beat anyone.

Also, remember what we did to teams from the other big conferences (Big 10 especially).

I'm in. We have a real shot. No guarantees, but we have a realistic chance at it.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm not convinced that this team can string enough good games to make it past the sweet 16 (and I hope we make it this far!). I do believe we can beat anyone in the country on any given night, but we've also seen how we can lose focus defensively, and shoot terribly as well on any given night. If we can move the ball and not get stagnant, elite 8 is very real!

Agree on stringing games together. This team goes into stretches (usually with a lead) of some of the most bone-headed play I've ever seen. The way they're playing right now, most tourney teams can handle ISU on a neutral court. I fully expect to get beat in a 5-12, 6-11 or 7-10 matchup. This team just has no post defense. When LeBryan Nash posts you up the entire second half plus three OTs and you can't stop him, you know there are problems. Personally, I think that the team is in trouble and has been for a few weeks now. If you need 48 from Ejim to beat TCU at home, you are in trouble. If you lose by 30 to WV, you're in trouble. Honestly, with as bad as the team is playing, I have a hard time seeing how anyone in their right mind could be thinking Final 4, Elite 8...even Sweet 16. Not saying they can't turn things around, but it's going to take Naz and Thomas breaking out of their slumps and that seems pretty unlikely.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Getting to a Final Four requires more then just playing well. It requires getting some lucky breaks along the way. Anybody think Wichita State makes the Final Four last year if the West Region doesn't get turned upside down in the 1st round or had the Shockers played a 2nd round game against any of the other #1 seeds besides Gonzaga (Indiana, Louisville, or Kansas)? I don't think so. How good was Florida as a #3 seed last year? They made the regional final in the South without playing a single digit seed until the Elite Eight... a game they lost by 20 to #4 seed Michigan.

The seeding, the teams in your region, and upsets are all part of the lucky breaks a team needs to make a run.

8 of the last 24 Final Four teams played a minimum of 2 games against double digit seeds along the way to reaching the Final Four. 2013 Louisville (2) 2013 Syracuse (2) 2012 Kansas (3) 2010 Butler (2) 2010 West Virginia (3) 2009 Louisville (2) 2008 Kansas (3) 2008 UCLA (2)

In the last 6 NCAA Tournaments only 1 team has reached the Final Four without facing a single double digit seed the entire way and that was Butler in 2011.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
We are a legit Sweet 16 team. Elite 8, possibly. Final Four, why not?

Our team/program is certainly as good as WSU. They made a run, why not us?

Let's get a 3 seed and we'll see what happens.