Rule Change to Slow down Tempo

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Did an search and couldn't find anything about this, but looks like they are proposing a rule to slow down Offensive Tempo in CFB. The rule would make it so you couldn't snap the ball until 29 seconds in to the 40 second play clock. How BS is that? I hope to go this doesn't pass. I find it funny that Beliema is supporting this. Can't keep up with the Joneses in SEC so he has to change the rules. Adapt or die my friend, adapt or die.

Nick Saban, Bret Bielema backed committee's proposal of slow-down rule - ESPN

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Did an search and couldn't find anything about this, but looks like they are proposing a rule to slow down Offensive Tempo in CFB. The rule would make it so you couldn't snap the ball until 29 seconds in to the 40 second play clock. How BS is that? I hope to go this doesn't pass. I find it funny that Beliema is supporting this. Can't keep up with the Joneses in SEC so he has to change the rules. Adapt or die my friend, adapt or die.

Nick Saban, Bret Bielema backed committee's proposal of slow-down rule - ESPN

Agree-terrible rule. Blue bloods couldn't handle creative coaches trying to do whatever they could to even the playing field, so take away one of the methods. My opinion is that the up-tempo offenses are one of the best things that has happened to college football. And where was the concern? It never came up that I knew of.

Why don't they look at oversigning instead?

Reactions: CycloneErik

sigh

Apr 11, 2006
Denver
Extremely stupid rule proposal. The teams with the lesser "so-called" talent are finally starting to compete and beat the blue bloods due to them being better conditioned than those 5 star athletes, and they want to change. What injuries are they talking about, the one's that LSU and Bama fake to slow down the game?

Leave it to Saban after getting his a** handed to them by OU to ***** and whine about the speed of the game. If ya can't beat 'em, we'll just the rules. F'n stupid. I didn't like Bama much before, but I F'n hate them now.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Be cool if hockey and basketball would institute similar rules. On change of posession, the offense has to wait for the defense to get back and set before they can cross the midpoint line.

The TV Brass have to be thrilled about this move.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yep basically, this protects the blue bloods. Rising programs like Okie State, Baylor, and Oregon would be crushed by this rule.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
So who here thinks this proposal will pass. I do (sadly).

I hope not. Innovation is the name of the game. Imagine, when teams started to go vertical, if they changed the rules so that you cannot throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I hope not. Innovation is the name of the game. Imagine, when teams started to go vertical, if they changed the rules so that you cannot throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field?
Tarvaris Jackson approved !

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I like allowing the defense to sub. I think that it's time defenses get a rule in their favor and not always the offense.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Good news for ISU. Now we do not need to ask guys like Klein and Knott, when we get them, to play 90 snaps a game.
When has our offense ever been fast enough to prevent OU and UT from using their depth? I'll give up those few times in order to essentially reduce the number of games our 1st team guys have to make it through.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Good news for ISU. Now we do not need to ask guys like Klein and Knott, when we get them, to play 90 snaps a game.
When has our offense ever been fast enough to prevent OU and UT from using their depth? I'll give up those few times in order to essentially reduce the number of games our 1st team guys have to make it through.

Pssst.... Have you seen our new OCs offense?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
How much would this rule really impact the game? Most of the time teams like Oregon and Baylor aren't snapping the ball in 10 seconds anyway. There are a few times a game they do but not often.

Besides if this doesn't pass teams will just continue to fake injuries in these situations and that is worse than this rule IMO.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
How much would this rule really impact the game? Most of the time teams like Oregon and Baylor aren't snapping the ball in 10 seconds anyway. There are a few times a game they do but not often.

Besides if this doesn't pass teams will just continue to fake injuries in these situations and that is worse than this rule IMO.

That's true - but the defense has to be ready for them to snap it within 10 seconds, even if they rarely actually do so. Taking away that threat would have a huge impact to up tempo offenses.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, I think it'd be good to bring some balance back to offense vs. defense. The thing I don't like about these high scoring games is how rarely they come down to the final possession. With so much scoring, it just kind of cheapens the drama of any single big play for me.

Help Support Us

Become a patron