Twister Sister Summary - Same old dance spells another loss at home

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
For many of us who have attended women's games over the years the band plays a familiar song after many games. Its from the old tv show Hee Haw and its famous line goes, "gloom, despair, and agony on me, deep dark depression, excessive misery..." Well, that's just about how things feel right now in the women's basketball program. The band has wisely stopped playing the song.

The beginning of this game looked strangely familiar to anyone who has watched the sisters post-14 game win streak. What we had were two teams that couldn't make a basket for anything. It took 4 min but finally Brynn hit a three followed by a fast break bucket by Nikki. TCU would answer right back with two inside shots. Back would come Nikki and Jadda though for a 10-6 lead 8 min in. At this point I gave props where they were due and thought the D was pretty good even if the offense was a bit suspect.

There were lots of missed open looks inside and out by both squads. But it was the threes that were slowly giving us separation. Another by Brynn and it was 13-8. The the offense stopped. It was like a DJ who plays that one song every night that you hate. In our case the song is titled, "I forgot how to score again." It was tied at 13 with 8 to go.

If you watched this on TV or listened on the radio you could probably hear the crowd getting testy with the officials. They had a reason to be as it was very inconsistent officiating. No, it was very one sided. But I digress...

Again there was too much standing on offense and the inside game was non-existent. Every time the ball went inside TCU collapsed on Hal and no one else was moving to take advantage of the mismatch. Then Nikki picked up her 2nd on a bizarre drive to the hoop where it appeared she wanted to dish and should have laid it in. It was just very strange looking. To this point Nikki had been playing very well, but oddly she never seemed to recover from that one. Another Sister 3 and it was 21-15 with 4:22 left. Then the DJ played that stupid song again.

We were getting out hustled and TCU actually took a brief lead at 23-21, but the sisters fought back to regain the lead 28-23 to end the half. P.S. We only shot one single free throw in the first half.

The second half started worse than the first. No one and I mean no one was moving or seemed to want the ball. Gave up two uncontested fast break layups after lazy passes. TCU took the lead 35-33 after another questionable foul on a three point shot. Remember Smart from OSU's men's team? The flopper? Obviously this girl has watched his game. Nikki went to the bench with her 3rd foul 3 min in.

TCU continued to outhustle us and our offense was simply disfunctional and slow. We looked like we were in slow motion compared to TCU. Five minutes in and they led 42-36. ( yes, that's a 19-8 run.) A common theme throughout the night was zero inside game. When we did get it inside we either missed the shot or turned it over. I'm over-exagerating but not by much.

Finally, some movement (a sign of life) started on offense and the sisters clawed back in to make it a 1 point game. Williamson hit her 6th trey to knot the game at 44. The sisters woudl retake the lead on a nifty inbounds play from Nikki to Seanna.

Then the offensive woes reentered the game (would someone shoot that DJ?) along with some more questionable officiating put TCU back in front. As long as the officiating is this suspect and our ladies are one dimensional on offense...any game would be in doubt.

With 8 minutes to play we had still only shot one, yes one free throw. Amazing.

Offensive ugliness and giving up boards on the defensive end kept TCU in this thing and with 5 remaining it was a one point game 53-52. Then we finally get another chance at the line and Hal misses the front end. Wow.

The offense missed seeing open players (can't remember how many times I saw either Brynn or Jadda wide open in the corner and completely un-noticed), took bad shots and the defense was flat footed. A three point lead disappeared until Seanna finally hit another 3 to make it 58-56.

TCU would tie it up and then after a missed shot Seanna got fouled battling for a rebound and would hit 2 FT for a 60-58 lead with 15 tics left. Timeout ISU to set the defense and...with 5 sec left the defense completely broke down leaving a wide open three to give TCU the lead 61-60. A freaking 27% three point shooter would hit TCU's 2nd trey of teh night on a busted defensive play. ISU couldn't get a foul call (did we hardly ever) on a drive to the hoop and the Sisters had lost their fourth home game of the conference season.

Player of the Game? Seanna Johnson. She is the most consistent game to game player on the team. You know what you are going to get from her and she delivers every time. How about 10 points and 13 rebounds? Pure grit.

Runner up for her first half play was Brynn. She hit 6 treys tonight, but had a hard time hitting when we needed her in the second half. Yet, if it weren't for her we never would have been in this game.

Off the bench Jadda had a decent night wth 11 points and 6 assists.

This is getting tough to write about. Hal is getting double and triple teamed, but is clearly struggling right now. Shots she would normally make are falling short and tonight she had five turnovers. We need a fully functioning Hal to be competitive and she just was't there tonight. Kidd had a terrible showing and Nikki disappeared after her second foul. Ellis? No help. Silly mistakes, turnovers that led to uncontested fast break layups by TCU and breakdowns on both ends of the court create a recipe for a mediocre team at best.

That is where this one is right now and the schedule is just now beginning to get tough. Its been since the 05-06 squad who went 16-11 in the regular season that ISU has lost four conference games at home. No Bill Fennelly team has EVER lost more conference home games than that. Three is honestly an aberation. Four is almost unheard of.

There's some strange voodoo going on right now and its time to call a priestess to undo that spell. And...someone shoot that darned DJ.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Its been since the 05-06 squad who went 16-11 in the regular season that ISU has lost four conference games at home. No Bill Fennelly team has EVER lost more conference home games than that. Three is honestly an aberation. Four is almost unheard of.

The 05-06 team ended up in the WNIT. Did ISU host the NCAA that year, or was that in 2004 when we also played in the WNIT? One of those years we missed the NCAA while hosting, but still got some home games in the WNIT.

The 05-06 team was no slouch. Roster below. More height, lots of freshmen, and thin at guard. However, it did have Medders and Ronhovde as juniors, a great backcourt to build around. Wilkins was a senior, and as I recall, had a great year that got her into the WNBA.

Rachel Pierson C 6-3 Fr. St. Louis, Mo. (Incarnate Word Academy)
Nicky Wieben F 6-4 Fr. Ankeny, Iowa (Ankeny)
Lyndsey Medders G 5-9 Jr. Los Angeles, Calif. (Harvard Westlake/Oak Park)
Heather Ezell G 5-9 Fr. Springfield, Mo. (Kickapoo)
Gillian Bjerke F 6-2 Fr. Pelican Rapids, Minn. (Pelican Rapids)
Lisa Bildeaux F/C 6-3 So. Grand Rapids, Minn. (Grand Rapids)
Kandice Beenken F 6-0 Sr. Titonka, Iowa (Woden-Crystal Lake Titonka)
Megan Ronhovde G/F 6-1 Jr. Barrett, Minn. (West Central Area)
Amanda Nisleit F 6-0 Fr. Woodbury, Minn. (Woodbury)
Abby Reinert G 6-0 Jr. Union, Iowa (Eldora-New Providence)
Brittany Wilkins F/C 6-3 Sr. Arlington, Neb. (Arlington)

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Again there was too much standing on offense and the inside game was non-existent. Every time the ball went inside TCU collapsed on Hal and no one else was moving to take advantage of the mismatch. ...

The second half started worse than the first. No one and I mean no one was moving or seemed to want the ball. Gave up two uncontested fast break layups after lazy passes. ...

TCU continued to outhustle us and our offense was simply disfunctional and slow. We looked like we were in slow motion compared to TCU. ...

The offense missed seeing open players (can't remember how many times I saw either Brynn or Jadda wide open in the corner and completely un-noticed), took bad shots and the defense was flat footed. ....

All of this. The game thread also alludes to bored, uninspired, passive, etc. This is so hard to understand as a fan. It's like they are going through the motions and not actually out there to play the game. More than a few fans wanted to jump out of their seats, and get something going on the floor. If all of this is so obvious to fans, where is the leadership on the floor to wake up the players?

In the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half, TCU scored 17 points. 5 minutes. 17 points. They had scored 23 all of the first half. They scored only 18 more the remaining 15 minutes of the 2nd half, until the final fatal 3 pointer. That 5 minutes sunk the team in more ways than one. Offensive mistakes, defensive mistakes, easy baskets for TCU, and officiating mistakes (yes, the 3-point flop among other calls that just added to the misery in that stretch).

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Is anyone going to step up and get this team going -- when they are not going?

All along, it's been said this is a quiet team. Well, someone better start making some noise.

Maybe it has to go the All American. Sometimes leaders become leaders out of necessity. Go to her for 25-30 points a game? If she doesn't get them, at least she gets 20. I hate to make comparisons with Sims, but if we need a volume shooter to put points on the board for the team, then figure out how to do it.

Miscommunication on defense likely led to the wide open final 3 by TCU. Maybe no communication? Hilton was loud, players need to be louder. Maybe a yell would get someone's attention? Whether it's to pick up someone on defense, or to hit the open player on offense, or to see the loose ball. TALK!

I'd like to see Bill get going too. It's like he overcompensated on his bench style. Sits most of the game. I don't want the yell-in-the-face style. I don't want the Fran style. But the Fred style does not really work for him. For whatever reason, this team is lacking floor leadership by players. If not actually giving instruction, Bill can be on standing on the sideline giving confidence.

TCU's coach, Mitty, was up almost the entire game. Often out of the coaching box. Annoying. Talking to the ref almost constantly. Annoying. But ... he had a presence on the sideline. If nothing else, Bill could be up talking to the ref, telling the ref that the amount of time spent talking to Jeff is distracting the ref from the game, and that if he misses a call at the end of the game, it could look like he was trying to help his friend Jeff. You can't tell me that Mitty's constant chats with the ref did not influence the calls.

Bill may need more help from his assistants too. I think TCU used its final timeout prior to the 3 pointer. Did the bench notice this? It was the perfect opportunity to apply pressure on the inbounds play, possibly forcing a 5-second call or a bad pass. Maybe a T if they make a mistake and call a timeout. Instead, we let them throw it in. Why not do something unexpected?!? Why not fluster them on our court? Why not put us in attacking mode? Make them pay for using up all of their timeouts. It's not only our players who don't seem to be taking advantage of game-time situations.

Last edited:

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Reamaining schedule with predictions:

@UT - Loss
KU - Win
@BU - Loss
UT - Win
@OSU - Loss
@KU - Loss
BU - Loss
2-5 to finish out the season

18-11 overall (7-11)
Finish the season going 4-11 over the last 15 games
Best wins: Iowa and @OU

That is going to be a tough sell to get into the NCAA. Could still happen with our history and the benefit of hosting.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Don't forget the first round game of the Big 12 tournament. Would probably be a toss up play in game. But going in (as you project) on a three game losing streak likely would mean a first round loss. Probably would get into the NCAA just because of the hosting. Very likely would get a 10 or 11 seed at best. If things finish worse than you project the team would likely get a WNIT bid and have to play very game in the road.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Maybe it has to go the All American. Sometimes leaders become leaders out of necessity.

I am pasting a post I made several weeks ago: "This is going to be very difficult to turn around. It is very possible that it boils down to a leadership issue. Coaches and players alike talk about it, but it is still a very nebulous thing that can't be created. Coach has it, but it can't just magically be transferred. Just being a senior doesn't give it to you by default, and often when someone decides to "assert" leadership, there is no guarantee that other players will accept it. Coaches often try to demand that players take leadership roles, but if most/all of the players are not in sync, then it quickly becomes forced, unnatural and awkward.

Making shots would cure a litany of ills, but reversing the trend is exceedingly difficult and is 99% mental. And the mental aspect is absolutely the hardest to coach - the players still just have to "do it."

I think BF is frustrated way beyond what we feel, can't believe the way things seem to be unraveling, and feels helpless about how to effect change. Sometimes he just leans back on his chair shaking his head in unbelief. He barked at Hallie as hard as I've ever heard him during a media timeout. The issue was a mistake she was continually making on the defensive end.

The first half of the K-State game was the only time in the last two months that I have seen complete TEAM intensity and focus, offensively and defensively. But even then, it went away in the 2nd half.

BF's comments post game on the radio echoed this. Right now he feels like it's up to them. I'm sure he feels like he and the staff have tried everything - but it's still the players who have to find the means/method to prepare themselves mentally. No coach or parent can do it for you. Someone will have to step up and take a risk to pour their heart out for the sake of this team, and carry other players with them.

What it boils down to, IMHO, is that the lack leadership has translated to a lack of toughness. Being tough enough to take a contested shot even though you missed the last two. Being tough enough to completely absorb the defensive game plan to the point that it's second nature, so you can execute it without "thinking" about it. Being tough enough to step outside your comfort zone and communicate openly and freely on the court and off.

The coaches won't quit trying, and neither should we. But we are rapidly approaching the point of no return.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I could repeat what many on here have said already but I think BF made the point in the post game(radio show & on TV) that the team does not seem to be bothered by what happened and they are going to have to look within their selves. The players said they did not communicate on the winning three (that was not the play they had drawn up) and TCU's player said she was shocked to be so wide open. TCU's coach also said they keyed on Kidd because she burnt them down there. As the saying goes "it is gut check time" for this team. We have seem what they can do, now they just have to do it here on out to make the big dance.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Reamaining schedule with predictions:

@UT - Loss
KU - Win
@BU - Loss
UT - Win
@OSU - Loss
@KU - Loss
BU - Loss
2-5 to finish out the season

18-11 overall (7-11)
Finish the season going 4-11 over the last 15 games
Best wins: Iowa and @OU

That is going to be a tough sell to get into the NCAA. Could still happen with our history and the benefit of hosting.
I doubt that ISU will win either game against UT. They are better than their record indicates. It'd be scary what they could do with a real coach (smile). I'd guess however that a win at KU is possible. Their win over Baylor made people think they were good. BU was suffering from the aftermath of the UConn loss. They went in downtrodden expecting to lose. May be the best thing that ever happened to them. They've had plenty of fire in the belly ever since. "Fire in the belly" is what the clones need right now. I don't know how to give it to them, just know that's what they need.

So much for my early season prediction, that the last game on the schedule, BU at ISU would probably determine the conference champion. I was looking forward to that one. BU has played much better than most of us here in Waco expected. ISU on the other hand is disappointing me a lot lately. There are still enough games left to make a difference in things. I really thought the girls would beat TCU at home. But I'm actually not too surprised at the loss. If ever there was a time for them to suck it up and lay it on the line it is now. For whatever it's worth, I'm still pulling for them.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I can't figure out what has happened to this team, offensively or defensively. BF talked from the start of the year that this is not a very vocal team, and it shows. Maybe they could get away with that in the non-conference games, but the competition in the Big 12 is so much better, it will not work.

Just too many missed plays and mistakes. The team just looks mostly lost and confused out there. No floor leadership at all. Just sort of going through the motions.

The scariest part of this is that the coaching staff does not seem to have a clue as to what to do to correct it. That is troubling.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I can't figure out what has happened to this team, offensively or defensively. BF talked from the start of the year that this is not a very vocal team, and it shows. Maybe they could get away with that in the non-conference games, but the competition in the Big 12 is so much better, it will not work.

Just too many missed plays and mistakes. The team just looks mostly lost and confused out there. No floor leadership at all. Just sort of going through the motions.

The scariest part of this is that the coaching staff does not seem to have a clue as to what to do to correct it. That is troubling.

I know that I keep harping on it but with that bad of a non-con schedule you do not get a chance to work on your weaknesses. You blow every team out and they do not "expose" you in any way. Now that it is conference time... There is no chance to work on things and make large improvements. In fact, it is just the opposite... You get exposed and then lose your confidence.
This team just looks defeated. No hustle, no enthusiasm, no heart.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I think it is unfair to say this team doesn't care, or isn't tough.

The reality is, our biggest physical presence out there is Seanna, a freshman who is 5 11. Hallie, as great as she is, is slender build, that just doesn't have the weight to throw around.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
TRB...I agree to an extent. Caring and toughness probably are being a bit loosely used. I think (making an assumption) that toughness refers more to both the physical and mental aspects. We have a couple of players who are very physical and Seanna is quite obviously one. The mental side none of us has a clue about as we aren't around the players and have no insight there. The caring is one that also has two meanings. One is playing without caring about the outcome. The "who cares if we win or lose?" presence type of thing. The other one relates to how you react to the wins and losses. Does it bother them enough that someone will step up and take the bull by the horns like past players have? Or does it not bother them in the sense of sitting back and letting someone else be the one to take the leadership role. Think of the female cop in police academy...she finally had enough and it was a surprise when she yelled, "freeze dirtbag!" Someone on this team has to "care" enough to be that person that says "let's pull our collective heads out of our butts and get this done." This ramble may or may not make sense...I'm tired and am amazed how much this season has worn me out!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Too much standing around on offense.
No pressure put on defense in first 20 seconds of possession.
Sloppy hands.
Too much across the key dribbling and not enough passing.
Poor three point shooting.

Seems like the offense sucks, Bill.
The defense looks a lot better.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
At the beginning of the year, through the non-conference schedule, our team mostly used driving lay-ups, and threes on offense. The refs have changed their mode of calling games and taken away the drives, thus leaving us with threes. We have good jump shooters in Moody, Jadda, and Kidd. Seanna isn't bad also, and therefore we should change the offense and spring open our jump shooters, thus taking pressure off Hal to produce. It will also open up the threes. It will be difficult to change our offense now, but, the team needs to adjust. They also need to fire up. Fans are still behind them, always will be.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I just watched the game, and the last call against Moody, was truly terrible. She was tripped and although it was probably inadvertent, there is nothing you can do but call a foul. They called a jump ball. It was like they didn't want the game to be decided that way and so they made that decision. However, looking over the whole game, TCU constantly attacked the basket, and we would take the ball out and look for a three point shot. Our offense was so predictable, I frankly have never seen an offense more predictable, two ways to score, three point shots, or underneath to Hallie. We had a few shots otherwise, but those almost seemed like afterthoughts, outside the offense. Am done.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
This isn't just about the SOS. We are not playing as well as we were. Seeing Iowa beat Penn State on the road shows what playing hard can do.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
This isn't just about the SOS. We are not playing as well as we were. Seeing Iowa beat Penn State on the road shows what playing hard can do.
I agree. I actually watched a few minutes of that game last night....I'm not sure why, but I did. The way ISU is playing right now, I don't think they would have a chance against either of those teams. Hopefully something will wake them up and give them a spark.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Excuse the long post, but I'll blame it on mitten for opening the door.

I just watched the game, and the last call against Moody, was truly terrible. She was tripped and although it was probably inadvertent, there is nothing you can do but call a foul. ... Am done.

I happened to see the Bill Fennelly Show, and it is just so maddening. They showed the play, and the host remarked on the clear contact.

Plain and simple, it was a blown call that decided the game in TCU's favor. It should never have come down to counting on a ref to make the correct call, and maybe that's why it's mostly being ignored. After all, don't want to blame the refs when the players could have done more. But where is the officiating accountability? Does it only get attention in an ISU-KU men's basketball game?

This had shades of the ISU-KU finish last year, just in reverse, and maybe worse in terms of the effect on the game and potentially on the season. By calling Niang and not Johnson, KU was allowed to tie the game on free throws; otherwise ISU would have had a W. In the TCU game, by calling a jump and not a TCU foul, it allowed TCU to keep a lead that ISU could have tied or got the W with free throws.

There were 3 calls that could have been made against TCU on that play. The first foul was probably the trip. Even the TCU player was holding her shin on the floor after the play. There's no way there was no contact by that player, and it is contact that is supposed to be called. It doesn't matter if it happens in the first 5 seconds or the last 5 seconds of the game.

The second foul could have been the position of their post player, even before the so-called jump. She was in the restricted arc area and should have been considered the second defender. It could have been a blocking foul on her.

The third foul is the contact with the upper body and arms on the so-called jump, vs with the ball. There seems to be lots of gray area here for officiating. What contact happens first etc.

See p. 8 of http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/WBR15.pdf.
The Rules Committee has identified the following as major concerns that need to be addressed because of their increased incidence of occurrence:
Areas of Concern:
Contact on the Shooter:
The slightest contact on a shooter’s arm can affect a shot. A defender leaning or reaching outside her vertical plane and contacting a shooter is a foul. In addition, an airborne shooter must be permitted to land without a defender moving into her. Equally important is that shooters not be permitted to jump into legally established defenders.

The defender definitely reaches outside and made contact with the shooter. That's a foul, or so says the rules.

The three possible fouls were ignored, and as has happened controversially in a couple of high profile men's games generating lots of discussion, the refs defaulted to a jump ball. That's just plain wrong. It rewarded the defense for all the things that were supposed to areas of concern this year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
In my book, Jada was the sparkplug that made our team better. Now the opponents are stifling her.

Looking to Kidd as being the rekindled spark to get us over the hump.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron