Twister Sister Summary - Same old dance spells another loss at home

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Excuse the long post, but I'll blame it on mitten for opening the door.
I looked at that play a bunch of times, and that was the only conclusion I could come to. I was at a wrestling match the other day, and I understand wrestling quite well, where the obvious better wrestler was beaten because of several obviously biased referee decisions. These things have consequences down the line. I think referees should be given lessons on ethics. It is no less than robbery, or theft, whatever you want to call it. The contact was such in that call against TCU that no ref who has passed a vision exam could have missed it. Sorry, to the people who don't like criticizing officials. I am not saying that we shouldn't have played better to make such a call impossible, but that isn't the point, the call was made, and therefore something should be said.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I looked at that play a bunch of times, and that was the only conclusion I could come to. I was at a wrestling match the other day, and I understand wrestling quite well, where the obvious better wrestler was beaten because of several obviously biased referee decisions. These things have consequences down the line. I think referees should be given lessons on ethics. It is no less than robbery, or theft, whatever you want to call it. The contact was such in that call against TCU that no ref who has passed a vision exam could have missed it. Sorry, to the people who don't like criticizing officials. I am not saying that we shouldn't have played better to make such a call impossible, but that isn't the point, the call was made, and therefore something should be said.
This is why I have insisted for years the coaches should have a right to call for a review when vital mistakes are made. Give each coach one flag per half. Throw the flag if you want a review. If call is reversed you keep the flag and can throw it again. If not you lose the flag and have no more challenges for the half. This would add very little time to an average game unless the officials were making dozens of mistakes. And even then, so what, if the mistakes are game changing in nature they need to be corrected. Nothing will ever completely eliminate the chance of human error, but this would certainly help, and wouldn't you feel better about a hard fought game if you could change a bad call. Regardless of a win or a loss there are times when a couple of "honest mistakes" by the refs actually gives the win to the undeserved.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
... I think referees should be given lessons on ethics. It is no less than robbery, or theft, whatever you want to call it. ...

...coaches should have a right to call for a review when vital mistakes are made. ...there are times when a couple of "honest mistakes" by the refs actually gives the win to the undeserved.

Honest mistakes happen. You would think though that with 3 officials, one should correct the mistake of another. They rarely do this though. Maybe their attention really is elsewhere, more likely they just don't want to make one another look bad. Instead, they all look bad.

The ethics of the ref in this game could truly be questioned. Maybe not the call itself, but for talking with the TCU coach throughout the game, even after everyone else left the floor at halftime. The TCU coach did not let up in lobbying the refs, but at some point, the refs need to separate themselves from any appearance of bias or impropriety.

Count up the minutes the TCU coach and the ref stood chatting when there was live action, and basically there was a "relationship" during the game that went beyond usual chit-chat. So when the last play is going down, and Nikki is getting bumped and hacked, something like this thought is flashing through the ref's mind, 'gosh, Jeff is going to be really ticked if I call a foul. I need to call something. Oh, jump ball.' Even the appearance that a ref gave a coach extra attention, possibly distracted from the game, should be an ethics issue.

That's exactly what the coach who's doing that is trying to accomplish. Mittie was controlling all the communications out there. He called timeouts frequently. He talked to the ref constantly. Probably could say he worked the game really well. But all the more reason a ref should be aware of the ethics of it.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Honest mistakes happen. You would think though that with 3 officials, one should correct the mistake of another. They rarely do this though. Maybe their attention really is elsewhere, more likely they just don't want to make one another look bad. Instead, they all look bad. The ethics of the ref in this game could truly be questioned. Maybe not the call itself, but for talking with the TCU coach throughout the game, even after everyone else left the floor at halftime. The TCU coach did not let up in lobbying the refs, but at some point, the refs need to separate themselves from any appearance of bias or impropriety. Count up the minutes the TCU coach and the ref stood chatting when there was live action, and basically there was a "relationship" during the game that went beyond usual chit-chat. So when the last play is going down, and Nikki is getting bumped and hacked, something like this thought is flashing through the ref's mind, 'gosh, Jeff is going to be really ticked if I call a foul. I need to call something. Oh, jump ball.' Even the appearance that a ref gave a coach extra attention, possibly distracted from the game, should be an ethics issue. That's exactly what the coach who's doing that is trying to accomplish. Mittie was controlling all the communications out there. He called timeouts frequently. He talked to the ref constantly. Probably could say he worked the game really well. But all the more reason a ref should be aware of the ethics of it.
I agree with your comments. I was really bothered by the halftime chat as they walked off the floor. One of our coaches should have been in on the conversation, or maybe the ref was just makng sure of his seat assignment on the team flight. What has bothered me is it seems that many times when BF says someting to the officials he gets the look and is montioned to sit down while the other coach does not get the same treatment. Maybe coach needs to take some lessons on how to influence the officials from the other coaches.

Help Support Us

Become a patron