Food options in Campustown...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones18

Apr 20, 2010
Ames
...been to a couple other college towns recently and noticed that they have a lot of different food options. Coming back, I realize that our campus area doesn't have much to choose from. Cheap Chinese, cheap burritos, 2 sub places. That's about it.

What are everyone's thoughts??

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yep it's dumb. I think it has something to do with the zoning. Pretty much, it sucks. Everything has moved out to Duff. I sure wish the Taco Bell was still where the Dunkin in

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Are there still a couple pizza places there? Jeff's pizza?
And, I miss Hometeam Pizza...

But yes, it would be nice if there were more options.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
For a 30K student population, Campustown is pretty sucky.

I know now they have tried to improve it but have a long way to go. That being said, I ate and drank plenty in my time there!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
There used to be a Burger King, a McDonald's, and a DQ in Campustown, which aren't earth shattering options, but it is hard to believe that those places wouldn't stick around.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ames and ISU need to do something to set up more commercial property around campus town. Not just bars and restaurants but shops and services. You shouldn't need a car as a student to eat and shop at tons of places on a campus the size of ISU.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For a 30K student population, Campustown is pretty sucky.

I know now they have tried to improve it but have a long way to go. That being said, I ate and drank plenty in my time there!

I ate at the original Battle's location constantly, DaVinci's once or twice a month, got my nerd on at Mayhem Comics, and drank at pretty much all the establishments. I also got my hair cut at a great place but can't remember the name. That said the campus is an A and the campus town is a C-.

I was recently at Notre Dame a few times and they previously had literally no campus town, but now they have a big development. It's all brand new like a strip mall with no character but it's much better for the students and alumni visiting town.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
There was a panchero's, DQ, Subway, Blimpie, California pizza kitchen, DaVinci's, and mcdonalds there when I went to school. Plus the Gyro man - made a killing when the bars let out.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Campus town sucks. It needs to be leveled and start over. We might have the worst campus town I have been to.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
There was a panchero's, DQ, Subway, Blimpie, California pizza kitchen, DaVinci's, and mcdonalds there when I went to school. Plus the Gyro man - made a killing when the bars let out.
The Gyro guy, super dog, and fajita guy are all still there. They always satisified me when drunk.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The Gyro guy, super dog, and fajita guy are all still there. They always satisified me when drunk.[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with food options?

Nothing it needs to be a bar/restaurant/ shopping area. Not some guy slinging hotdogs and gyros at midnight. Not that those need to go but it needs to change if Alumni would chose to bring family to Welch. And I am not saying it needs to be family time all hours of the day but most campus bar areas are.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
It definitely needs to be improved, the LANE4 plan would have done that. Now that it fell through things will happen in a piecemeal fashion and much slower. There are several projects on the horizon though: Kingland development, new 7 story building where first national bank is currently, Kum&Go, new 5 story building next to Outlaws, and a new facade program. Its a start but more needs to be done and it sounds like the city and university are both set on turning that area around.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I ate at the original Battle's location constantly, DaVinci's once or twice a month, got my nerd on at Mayhem Comics, and drank at pretty much all the establishments. I also got my hair cut at a great place but can't remember the name. That said the campus is an A and the campus town is a C-.

I was recently at Notre Dame a few times and they previously had literally no campus town, but now they have a big development. It's all brand new like a strip mall with no character but it's much better for the students and alumni visiting town.

Yes, the original Battles there was amazing. I luckily was able to eat there my 4 years. Blows hickory park out of the water, but that's a whole other discussion.