Friday OT - Why are you a pain to be married to/live with/date?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I had a discussion with my husband earlier this week about the way I would guess I am most annoying to live with. I try and analyze and logic everything. Best way to load the dishwasher? I have a researched system. Buying a new house? I had a spreadsheet with multiple criteria and a weighted metric for each. I research everything, and try to apply logic to every situation. I took one of those online psych assessments recently regarding personality type, and it said I don't need or seek out romance because it isn't logical enough for me. This is a huge pain in the butt when he just want to know what to do for lunch.

What are your cohabitation issues?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I put sports ahead of getting almost any household chore done. I take a long time to get tasks completed if I'm not interested in doing them.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I leave my shoes laying around. And I am always wanting sex.

Edit: I don't think those are problems. But this is what my wife would say.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm stubborn and deep down, I'm fairly arrogant (IE I believe my method/approach to anything is ideal), and within the confines of my own life/home I don't tolerate different approaches well.

My wife is the same way.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I NEED things put back exactly where they belong, and I determine usually where that spot is. (unfortunately)

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I had a discussion with my husband earlier this week about the way I would guess I am most annoying to live with. I try and analyze and logic everything. Best way to load the dishwasher? I have a researched system. Buying a new house? I had a spreadsheet with multiple criteria and a weighted metric for each. I research everything, and try to apply logic to every situation. I took one of those online psych assessments recently regarding personality type, and it said I don't need or seek out romance because it isn't logical enough for me. This is a huge pain in the butt when he just want to know what to do for lunch.

What are your cohabitation issues?

[video=youtube;t4u5dttxQv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4u5dttxQv8[/video]

Reactions: longtimeclone

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
My wife says that I am noisy but not real talkative. I moan, groan, grunt and break wind often.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My wife likes knick-knacks and I need things to be organized so we fight about that.

I don't like movies because I am impatient and she could watch movies all day and I too try and apply logic and reasoning to every decision instead of letting myself be entertained or go-with-the-flow.

I sit on my duff all day and she is a teacher so she is running around on her feet all day. When I get home I want to do something and she just wants to sit around.

In movies and TV shows I'll comment if something is not logical. For example, last night there was a credit card commercial where they slid the card in the machine upside down just to show the card name. I said "I could never sign up for that company because this is blatantly incorrect." So yeah, I over analyze and it makes her/people mad.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I'm really bad at small talk. My wife will try talking with me about her coworkers and things they do that annoy her. I can't even pretend to be interested. I'll listen. I'll nod my head at appropriate times but I can't give any good feedback. It drives her crazy.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I too am organized. I hate clutter. A house in disorder makes me agitated. I work with chaos all day and feel really good if I can come home to nothing to do. It doesnt even have to be the whole house. If I had one room where I could retreat to without a mess I would be fine. I get kind of dickish when I dont get that. She probably hates it.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I'm stubborn and deep down, I'm fairly arrogant (IE I believe my method/approach to anything is ideal), and within the confines of my own life/home I don't tolerate different approaches well.

My wife is the same way.
Pretty much exactly this for me as well.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm really bad at small talk. My wife will trying talking with me about her coworkers and things they do that annoy her. I can't even pretend to be interested. I'll listen. I'll nod my head at appropriate times but I can't give any good feedback. It drives her crazy.

I think a lot of us on this site are probably bad small talkers. I can't stand small talk. Put me on stage in front of 500 people and I'm fine. Put my in a room with 10 people and I clam up. Unless it's women - I can talk to women 100x better than men.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
When it comes to things like picking a restaurant or TV show I keep asking my wife the same question until I get the answer I want. She then inquires why I even asked in the first place.

She can't understand that I'm giving her the opportunity to have the right answer.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
If you were talking to my wife, she would say that I take forever to make decisions. And I do, if they are monetary ones, which I don't feel is really a problem. And I snore.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I like to drink and it appears I like to hang out with my male friends more than her. (not true, maybe)

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Oh yeah, and she thinks I sometimes say things that might be considered inappropriate -- like telling my pregnant sister-in-law that she was as big as a house (saw it on a commercial once). I have to admit, that one was questionable.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I am incapable of tolerating a small mess in my home. I cannot sit and relax unless everything is put away, kitchen cleaned, etc. My mother-in-law ran an in-home daycare while my wife was growing up, so she is used to clutter and a perpetual mess and cannot figure out why I can't just relax when I get home.