Weakness of Fred?

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
Before I get reamed by the board, let me begin with 2 caveats.

1. I think Fred is a great x's and o's coach.
2. The officiating did NOT lose the game for us last night...clearly shooting did.

However, one thing I have noticed over the past 4 years is that in big games we never get the benefit of close calls. They inevitably always seem to go against us. And unlike any college championship coach I have ever seen, Fred rarely works the officials. He is cool, calm, collected but rarely gets upset. And for a few games now I have seen this team's frustrations rising with no over-the-back calls, no calls on drives of ours, etc...

Finally I will lay down this marker and you guys can bring it back after 2 games. I see a competitiveness and frustration level with Kane, Ejim, and Hogue that if Fred doesn't begin to fight for this team with the officials, I predict some of these guys are going to go off and get technicals, and maybe even thrown out, in one of the next 2 games.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Did you see the game in person or on TV?

The reason I ask is if you saw the game in person and watched his interactions with the officials you would feel 180 degrees the opposite of what you posted. He was on them from the beginning both yelling and conversing during timeouts and dead balls situations.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fred yelled at the officials as much as I've ever seen last night.

At one point he was very close to a T.

Claiming that Fred isn't "fighting for his team" is a really really stupid thing to say.

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
Kansas was called for 9 more fouls than ISU. ISU shot 15 more free throws than Kansas.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
UGH, this is just all getting out of hand. If ISU had shot their normal percentage from outside the outcome would have been totally different. Just calm down, relax, and realize the team that beat ISU last night had the #1 and #2 draft choices, and only beat ISU by 7. Relax. Chill. Take a day off and rethink it.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Before I get reamed by the board, let me begin with 2 caveats.

1. I think Fred is a great x's and o's coach.
2. The officiating did NOT lose the game for us last night...clearly shooting did.

However, one thing I have noticed over the past 4 years is that in big games we never get the benefit of close calls. They inevitably always seem to go against us. And unlike any college championship coach I have ever seen, Fred rarely works the officials. He is cool, calm, collected but rarely gets upset. And for a few games now I have seen this team's frustrations rising with no over-the-back calls, no calls on drives of ours, etc...

Finally I will lay down this marker and you guys can bring it back after 2 games. I see a competitiveness and frustration level with Kane, Ejim, and Hogue that if Fred doesn't begin to fight for this team with the officials, I predict some of these guys are going to go off and get technicals, and maybe even thrown out, in one of the next 2 games.

ISU had a huge advantage in foul calls last night. With fouls at the end it seemed close but at one point in the 2nd half KU had like 14 fouls to our 5. If the kids still think they were not getting the calls, they need to go look at the tape and get some sense of reality.

I am of the opinion if you as a coach give the impression you are getting screwed on the calls it gives the kids the same excuse.

Personally I wish he would get in the players face a little bit more, and last night I think he did but that is not his normal approach. And lets be honest here, the results of his approach have been more than effective these past 4 years.

Last edited:

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
UGH, this is just all getting out of hand. If ISU had shot their normal percentage from outside the outcome would have been totally different. Just calm down, relax, and realize the team that beat ISU last night had the #1 and #2 draft choices, and only beat ISU by 7. Relax. Chill. Take a day off and rethink it.

This has nothing to do with the team winning last night. I agree. They shot above their average, we shot horrifically and only lost by 7. I actually think if we play a little better we can beat them in Kansas. But that does not change the fact that for 3 to 4 years, for me, we seem to never get the benefit of calls in big games. And while yes Fred says things to the refs, I don't equate that to how 90% of coaches work the refs. And do I think that is a disadvantage in big games...yes.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Kansas was called for 9 more fouls than ISU. ISU shot 15 more free throws than Kansas.

Regardless of the OP... you know that even fouls does not equal evenly called game, right?

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Correct, he does not go "Mad Fran" or "Bobby Knight" but that's not how he operates and probably never will.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
If anything needs to be addressed, Fred needs to get his players to stop worrying about the officiating, and play, and make sure they know it is his job to "work" the refs. Frankly, if anything, I am tired of seeing this team get beat on defense because they are too busy glaring at an official for a non call. This has been a pattern for a couple years now.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Just because Fred's style does not match your preconcieved notion of the "right" way to "work" the officials doesn't mean it's not worth anything. You want him to act like Fran?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Explain to me at what point in the game would the team have benefited from giving Kansas two free throws and the ball?

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
Explain to me at what point in the game would the team have benefited from giving Kansas two free throws and the ball?

Probably right before Ejim got fouled on his 3 pointer. But again, as I said we did not lose because of the officiating last night. But in this game, Ohio State, KU, KU, OKIe St, etc... we never seem to get the close calls in big close games. Coincidence? Maybe.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Did you see the game in person or on TV?

The reason I ask is if you saw the game in person and watched his interactions with the officials you would feel 180 degrees the opposite of what you posted. He was on them from the beginning both yelling and conversing during timeouts and dead balls situations.

I was there and yes he was.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Probably right before Ejim got fouled on his 3 pointer. But again, as I said we did not lose because of the officiating last night. But in this game, Ohio State, KU, KU, OKIe St, etc... we never seem to get the close calls in big close games. Coincidence? Maybe.

Wonder if we got any beneficial close calls during Michigan/Iowa/BYU?