Mono

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
Just got my blood results back from the story county medical as positive in Mono. Been feeling ill since new years day ( wasnt sure if hungover or sick) however the 2nd of Jan I was very tired and felt a sore throat coming on. I thought this was because of the infamous 2 day hangover. Monday the 6th I went to the doc got put on some Amoxicillian due to my huge tonsils sore throat and sinus pain. Today I went back because the amoxicillian wasnt doing jack **** and got 2 shots in *** another prescription and now since I have mono a steroid. Question is when am I going to feel better? Anyone have an experience with this? When can I get back with the lady friend ? Should I be good to go for classes monday ?

CycloneSupt6

Dec 18, 2008
Davenport
I had it back in high school and I remember just being out of commission for about two weeks. Luckily I had it over Christmas break, so I don't think I missed much if any class.

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
Will they let you attend classes?
They never said I couldnt (But I wouldnt be against skipping a few... ) I blame my new years kiss.... Nurse said my white blood count was VERY high therefore she thinks ive been fighting it for a while. I never felt tired except the two days after new years. Right now I wake up multiple times during the night.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I'd be pretty careful if I were you. Graduated high school in 1986 weighing 185 pounds, went to my first semester at ISU and not sure how I didn't realize it but I was feeling like crap for a long time and put it off going to the doc until I was past the worst part of mono. Get the results and figured I was good and would just takes naps in the afternoon.

By Christmas when I went home for break I was 149 lbs and my mom flipped out(I am 6'3). She made an appointment right away to get me to the doctor. I went over there thinking all was good and ended up being diabetic.....type 1. I have no diabetes in my family so we asked about it. The doctor told me that the way I treated the mono could have very well contributed to me now being diabetic. He said there are times that the mono virus can attack parts of the body.....and in my case, it was the islet cells in my pancreas that produce the insulin. As a result, I am type 1 diabetic since then. I have talked to one other person where something like this happened to them, but otherwise it must be pretty rare for it to go like that.

I ignored mono when I had it because I was too busy trying to be the indestructible college student and it cost me. Do not overdo it and get your rest, but follow the doctor's orders and you will be fine.

Not meaning to scare ya, but I'd rather you be careful and not have any problems, then be careless with it and then regret it later. Good Luck

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Just got my blood results back from the story county medical as positive in Mono. Been feeling ill since new years day ( wasnt sure if hungover or sick) however the 2nd of Jan I was very tired and felt a sore throat coming on. I thought this was because of the infamous 2 day hangover. Monday the 6th I went to the doc got put on some Amoxicillian due to my huge tonsils sore throat and sinus pain. Today I went back because the amoxicillian wasnt doing jack **** and got 2 shots in *** another prescription and now since I have mono a steroid. Question is when am I going to feel better? Anyone have an experience with this? When can I get back with the lady friend ? Should I be good to go for classes monday ?
The first week was hell for me when I had it. After that I felt much better. But I guess it depends on the person how long you feel the worst. Once you get Mono you have it for the rest of your life but it is dormant after about a month. Typical rule of thumb is that until your month is up, you should not be kissing. I ended up with my girlfriend before the month was up and she was fine but I'm not guaranteeing anything. And yes you can still go to classes. If you feel like crap and don't think you will benefit going to classes, email your professors. When I had mono they were very understanding when I took a couple days off. They even gave me notes from class. My professors didn't require a doctors note but it may be good to have just in case some professors give you resistance. But if your fear is you will spread it, you don't have to worry unless you kiss them! Hope this helps and you feel better soon!

Edit: One last thing. Sleep..a lot! Sleep is the single best thing to combat mono. I truly think that is what helped me feel better so quick. Plus it is a good excuse to be lazy for a few weeks! And drink lots of water.

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Rest, rest and more rest. Aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofin for sore throat, body aches & fever. Mono is viral...antibiotics are useless (unless you have strep throat concurrent with the mono like my son did).

Found this - it's a pretty good coverage.

MONO TREATMENT
The goal of mono treatment is to ease the symptoms while the immune system contains the initial viral infection. Antibiotics are not helpful because mono is caused by a virus and there are no antiviral medications that can treat or cure EBV.
Pain and fever — Sore throat, muscle aches, and fever can be treated with non-prescription medications, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol® and others) or ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®). Acetaminophen is broken down by the liver. Thus, it is important to closely follow the dosing instructions or your healthcare provider's instructions to safely take this medication. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are also recommended for use in children. Aspirin should not be given to young children with mono because of possible liver complications.
Rest — Mono can cause severe fatigue, although most people recover within two to four weeks. For some, significant tiredness lasts for weeks to months. Early in the infection, it is important to get adequate rest, although complete bed rest is not necessary.
Diet — Feeling ill often causes a loss of appetite. This is normal, and usually improves as the infection improves. It is important, even if you have no appetite, to drink an adequate amount of fluids. This is especially true if you are taking ibuprofen for pain or fever because ibuprofen can affect kidney function if you become dehydrated. You are drinking adequate fluids if your urine is a pale yellow color.
WHEN CAN I GO BACK TO WORK OR SCHOOL?
Many people with mono develop an enlarged spleen, which can last for a few weeks or longer. Although you can return to school or work when you are feeling better, it's important to avoid activities that can cause injury to the spleen.
Experts generally recommend that athletes not participate in sports activities for at least the first three to four weeks of the illness [1]. Your healthcare provider should determine when it is safe for you to participate in strenuous activities or contact sports.
When you do begin participating in sports activities again, we recommend starting slowly, increasing activity gradually. Even highly trained athletes may not feel as fit after having mono as they did before the illness.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored."

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My son was at UNI...freshman year spring break he came home 2 days early with strep + mono. He was bad for about 10 days, but got better surprisingly quickly. The one thing I remember was putting a cot in the living room with him on that & me on the couch because he kept having fever dreams & he's prone to sleep-walking. One night I had to try to restrain all 6'2", 200 lbs of him because he was trying to serve chicken nuggets to everyone in the dining hall. Must have looked really funny...he's a foot taller than me & outweighed me at the time by about 80 lbs...and wrestled in high school...

Some people get better quickly, some don't. Just don't try to overdo it while you're still feeling exhausted...you'll just prolong it.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think my case is unusual, but I had mono during my senior year of high school and it really didn't slow me down. I was more tired than usual, but I don't remember missing much class or anything like that (maybe a day or two total, when it was at its worst).

Hope you get well soon

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
Whats all this white **** crusted and mounded on my tonsils ? It cant be good. How do I go about removing it or does it come off after a while. Ive tried gargling salt water and Listerine.

2Xclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Mono can run out to about 18 months (if severe enough). My son's girlfriend go it during cross country in 2012 and is just now getting completely over it. Caused her to miss her entire sophomore track season.
This has been a long ordeal for her. A neighbor got it, parents kept him home (hid his running shoes) for 2-3 weeks and was back within 6 weeks. It varies greatly from person to person. A lot has to do with how soon you find out you have it and getting enough rest to let your body fight it.