BLUM: Iowa State's NBA mentality

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Good read but it reminded me of something. When are we going to get that tell all blog filled with Orlando Magic stories. There has to be a ton with guys like Dwight and Stan around there.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's Hoiball time!

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I like the part where Iowa State does the winning. That's my favorite part.

CloneJob

Jan 10, 2009
Ankeny
Great read. Explains well why ISU would never recruit somebody like Woodchuck. Francis can him all day long. Fred found a formula that works well. Not only are we winning, but it's a blast to watch (other than the come from behind part).

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
It's funny to hear criticism about the style we play.

I am sure at one time people criticized the forward pass in football and the 3 point shot, Blum does a great job with his columns. We are lucky to have him.

Its good to be different and as he stated, a trend shall emerge.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
"In the Hoiberg era" has such a delightful ring to it.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
Really the next big step will be in recruiting . when Fred can bring in the 6-9 or 6-10 guys who have the skills he covets but also the size to guard the post more effectively. The one and done type big guys.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
As I was watching on TV and we were down by 15 I was slightly freaking out and then the cameras pan to Fred and he's Mr. cool just being patient, not nagging or screaming for a TO. Fred knew his players would get into a groove and work themselves back into the game. You see this nightly in the NBA where teams get down by 10 or 15 points and go on runs and there back in it. I think it was freaking Boise out when they got a good lead and were expecting ISU to call a TO but Fred didn't blink an eye and the players reflected exactly how Fred was coaching. Calm, cool and confident. They knew ISU would be back in the game and it was intimidating.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Really the next big step will be in recruiting . when Fred can bring in the 6-9 or 6-10 guys who have the skills he covets but also the size to guard the post more effectively. The one and done type big guys.
Yep, but I would not limit it to one and dones necessarily. A lot of ways to get the skill and size we need. Boy, Brackins would have been even better under Fred.

I think had that 2011-12 team been under Fred's teaching longer, it had enough of both. Or if we won the lottery and White returned for '12-'13. It just took them so long to gel that we ended up playing the best team in the 2nd round. KU made the title game that year and by the end we were as good imo.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Doesn't the Magic example you used go against the theme of your article that you don't need big guys to win? That team only got away with that lineup because they had Dwight Howard at his defensive peak patrolling the middle and he cleaned up a ton of his teammates mistakes.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
Good article. I agree that the are 2 biggest advantages have been the spacing of the court and our bigs' ability to pull opponents out to the perimeter. And when you can put athletes on the court at 4 or 5 positions, it makes these things much more effective. Even though we have been undersized with Hoiberg's teams, we gain position on the boards and do a good job of sealing our defenders.

The players have bought in. I also find it very interesting how you can turn on the tv and watch a lot of coaches rant and rave while Hoiberg remains calm. Says a lot about players feeding off their coach.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Additional key points: while undersized in the 4-5, we have been pretty long in the 1-3 (generally), which helps defensively. This year's team also appears to be all-in on the pack-the-paint style defense that everyone in the NBA is using: haven't really seen other NCAA teams do that yet, but give it 5 years. We're ahead of the curve there, too.