The one thing that boggles my mind about winter in Iowa

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The thing that just astonishes me is that every time there is snow, Iowa does not preemptively salt the roads. It would make plowing that much easier. I'm looking at Lincoln Way right now and the snow is just as thick on the road as it is on the sidewalk. That shouldn't be the case!

Also, Iowa doesn't constantly plow it seems like. It seems as though they wait till the storm passes and then plow.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
I can't speak for this storm, but there have been plenty of times when the City of Ames has been out salting or brining the roads before storms.

Just last Thursday I caught a beer on Welch and the plows were going nuts throwing salt hours before the ice hit.

I suspect it has a lot to do with how cold it is and the temperature to which their salt can melt the accumulated ice.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What ive noticed is they seem to not sand as much as some others might. Had to drive down for a flight in KC a couple years ago during\after some snow and really noticed the difference between iowa and MO.. MO laid down sand and you had a ton more traction.

Oh, and dont judge all of iowa on Ames's plowing. Ames is the worst for plowing. West Des Moines will often have the road down to bare pavement within 24 hours, while much of ames the snow will come off when it melts off.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Can't speak for Ames but last night there were trucks out brining the roads in Des Moines at around seven. I have not been out yet this morning but generally the snow removal here is prompt, at least on the main roads. Side streets are a different story, but understandably so. It's a lot of ground to cover.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
What ive noticed is they seem to not sand as much as some others might. Had to drive down for a flight in KC a couple years ago during\after some snow and really noticed the difference between iowa and MO.. MO laid down sand and you had a ton more traction.

Oh, and dont judge all of iowa on Ames's plowing. Ames is the worst for plowing. West Des Moines will often have the road down to bare pavement within 24 hours, while much of ames the snow will come off when it melts off.

This, for sure. Ames was by far the worst city I'd lived in for clearing snow. I think they leave Lincoln Way till last in an attempt to keep the college kids stranded.

I live in Dubuque now, and I think they do a pretty darn good job. But I suppose if they don't, all the hills would make for quite a few accidents.

ISUFAN80

Mar 18, 2008
This, for sure. Ames was by far the worst city I'd lived in for clearing snow. I think they leave Lincoln Way till last in an attempt to keep the college kids stranded.

I live in Dubuque now, and I think they do a pretty darn good job. But I suppose if they don't, all the hills would make for quite a few accidents.

Most people that move here from a big city from the east coast say our roads suck during snow storms. In Iowa we drive in slush and snow all the time but to them they should be clean right down to the concrete. I then ask what their taxes are where they live and then we find out why their streets are so clean.

They plow all the time during these storms and even take care of peoples sidewalks in Boston area where my wife is from. Lot's of money spent for sure.

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
After growing up in Des Moines, Ames snow removal seems fantastic. My Ames residential street is usually plowed by 9am every morning. In Des Moines, we were lucky to see a plow within 2 days of a snowstorm. By the time the plows showed up, the snow was all packed down to ice, and the plows only polished the ice.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
After growing up in Des Moines, Ames snow removal seems fantastic. My Ames residential street is usually plowed by 9am every morning. In Des Moines, we were lucky to see a plow within 2 days of a snowstorm. By the time the plows showed up, the snow was all packed down to ice, and the plows only polished the ice.

Where did you live in DM / where do you now live in Ames?

My experience is the exact opposite of this. Ames snow removal is terrible. They won't plow at all until 3 to 4 inches have fallen.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Most people that move here from a big city from the east coast say our roads suck during snow storms. In Iowa we drive in slush and snow all the time but to them they should be clean right down to the concrete. I then ask what their taxes are where they live and then we find out why their streets are so clean.

They plow all the time during these storms and even take care of peoples sidewalks in Boston area where my wife is from. Lot's of money spent for sure.

A big difference is that we have a lot larger road network by population than a lot of states also. I think our network is as large as New York's but several million less people.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
A big difference is that we have a lot larger road network by population than a lot of states also. I think our network is as large as New York's but several million less people.

This is true. Additionally, the Eastern seaboard won't routinely go several consecutive weeks without getting above freezing. So if they plow well enough they can wait two days and the rest melts off of the roads.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The one thing that boggles my mind abut winter in Iowa is that there isn't a 4 wheel drive liquor delivery service.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

That may be true, but it's still no excuse to not have the major interstates clean ASAP. Iowa does a terrible job in general of getting roads clean. I have driven many a time where in Iowa I was skating on the roads, having to go about 35 - 40 to be safe, to cross the river into Illinois and have them either be clean or look like it just rained.

Heck, last year on our way back for Christmas, I think it was what, 4 days after the big storm you had, the roads looked and drove like it had just happened that morning.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wouldn't it make more sense for a snowmobile or a something with a track to be the delivery vehicle?

It's possible cousin Eddie, but the quantity they'd be able to carry wouldn't be that big. Maybe they could tow a sled behind it?

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
We had 6 inches of snow on top of sleet here in Northwest Arkansas a couple of weeks ago and it shut the area down for 10 days. 6 snowdays for my kids to make up now as well. Almost zero effort went into the clearing process until 3 days after it fell, which by then was equal to zambonis fixing up for the ice rink.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We had 6 inches of snow on top of sleet here in Northwest Arkansas a couple of weeks ago and it shut the area down for 10 days. 6 snowdays for my kids to make up now as well. Almost zero effort went into the clearing process until 3 days after it fell, which by then was equal to zambonis fixing up for the ice rink.

How the hell is Bielema expected to get to KFC with those road conditions?

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
That may be true, but it's still no excuse to not have the major interstates clean ASAP. Iowa does a terrible job in general of getting roads clean. I have driven many a time where in Iowa I was skating on the roads, having to go about 35 - 40 to be safe, to cross the river into Illinois and have them either be clean or look like it just rained.

Heck, last year on our way back for Christmas, I think it was what, 4 days after the big storm you had, the roads looked and drove like it had just happened that morning.

I think it can be some excuse because the network is so big that the order of concern should be interstates>state highways>main city roads>side streets. I commuted from Ames to DM for a year and it seemed like once I hit 30 the roads were much better. I agree with the other statements that Ames is pretty terrible about plowing, but I grew up in rural Linn county around county roads. I don't think we ever had plows on the roads before the storm probably because they were focused on the ones closer to CR.

I remember driving last year during the ice storm around Christmas and the roads were pretty bad all around DM. I had to drive to Atlantic and I think I was told that the highway was in much better condition than the interstate.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
It's possible cousin Eddie, but the quantity they'd be able to carry wouldn't be that big. Maybe they could tow a sled behind it?

Maybe you are on to something with the sled idea, but maybe you could use my camper also.

condor4.png

I guess I don't know if I would trust myself because I would probably drink most of the liquor then forget where I was suppose to go.