Does this team have a weakness?

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
We've struggled with UM and UI at home. We struggled with BYU on the road. We struggled with UNI on a neutral court.
I'm asking this as an honest question, hoping people with a higher basketball IQ can tell me more about this team. They are 8-0 (and I'm as happy as anyone about that) but they are going to be required to buy me a defibrillator if this keeps up.
Is it height? Speed? What? I think we have proven that it is not depth.
Help!

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Sloppiness in the first half of every game. That's a weakness.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Post depth. Causes lapses of effort due to foul trouble and being winded.

Defense-at times there are miscommunication and the team loses who they see suppose to guard. Transition defense is lacking.

FT-what's the point of getting fouled if you can't make the other team pay.

Offense-gets stagnant at times. Lots of standing dribbling instead of moving bodies and the ball.

ken

Dec 28, 2008
There are several weaknesses and areas for improvement, which is true for any team. Free throw shooting comes immediately to mind. But the mark of any great person, team, organization, etc. is recognizing those weaknesses and knowing how to work on improving and/or planning around them.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I'd say it's a combination of getting off to slow starts, FT shooting and sliiiiightly some of the 3 point shooting isn't as consistent between games as previous years so far. (it's good but has been better in other years)

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Agree. I think we struggle to guard at times. Bigger teams like Iowa and BYU have pounded us on the boards with a lot of offensive put-backs, too.

I think it's only when those bigs are actually athletic. Auburn has a 7 foot starter and he was not a problem for us at all.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
My one frustration is that we often don't rotate with the other team's best shooter and give open looks at the three. I suspect this is partly because of our push to own the defensive boards and put a quick rush down the floor, but there have been far too many clean looks at three.

If we can clean that up and our tendency to leave the back door open to the hoop, our defense will improve even more than it already has.

My expectations for this team were borderline NCAA - it looks as if we're already one foot in the door before the new year. Great season so far, and our potential is much higher than our performances to this point!

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
I agree that free throws are a problem. Was it Eustachy that used to end practice by making the team sink 10 free throws in a row before they could go to the showers? I thought that was a great way of simulating game day pressure.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
We've struggled with UM and UI at home. We struggled with BYU on the road. We struggled with UNI on a neutral court.
I'm asking this as an honest question, hoping people with a higher basketball IQ can tell me more about this team. They are 8-0 (and I'm as happy as anyone about that) but they are going to be required to buy me a defibrillator if this keeps up.
Is it height? Speed? What? I think we have proven that it is not depth.
Help!

Slow starts, bad first half play, and free throw shooting.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Potential wise? Height in the post.

-Right now our defense is poor. Sometimes related to height, but often being due communication and laziness.
-Our guards need to either get back and stop transition or help on the boards.
-FTs
-Slow starts. I would not mind seeing us go to the rim more and getting some easy looks or FT before we almost shoot ourselves out of games.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Potential wise? Height in the post.

-Right now our defense is poor. Sometimes related to height, but often being due communication and laziness.
-Our guards need to either get back and stop transition or help on the boards.
-FTs
-Slow starts. I would not mind seeing us go to the rim more and getting some easy looks or FT before we almost shoot ourselves out of games.

All these are good ones.

I might also add that we could be better from 3, Matt Thomas seems to still be adjusting to the college level, afraid to take open looks. Whenever he starts to give himself the green light he'll improve a lot.

The fun part is: this is december. Consider how much we improved from december to january the last couple years. A similar improvement would make this team downright deadly.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron