Morgantown, WV

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
Yeah two crappy teams. You may be the only one there. Report back on beer prices in the stadium.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Juzt got into town. Can see the stadium from the hotel. Parking lots look pretty sedate.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Why do we support our team in record numbers even though we suck? What, specifically, can we point to that other teams can not? We can't use the excuse of no pro teams because WV doesn't have any, either.

dtlantz

Apr 10, 2006
Maryland
Why do we support our team in record numbers even though we suck? What, specifically, can we point to that other teams can not? We can't use the excuse of no pro teams because WV doesn't have any, either.

Was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of ISU-Mizzou in '04 here minus the crappy conditions.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN

There is nothing I would rather do on a Saturday then spend 6 hours grilling and getting drunk before going into a stadium surrounded by 55,000 Cyclones and cheering on ISU. Winning is nice, but it is far from the only thing.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

It's cause there isn't that much to do in Iowa.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Because proud.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Anyone here? Disappointed with the tailgating so far. Hopefully it picks up soon!

Have you set anything on fire yet? That should get things going. I'd start with something simple like a lounge chair or small love seat...

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
It's cause there isn't that much to do in Iowa.

Unless you live in a coastal or mountain state this could potentially be said about any state. But having lived in several of each I'd take Iowa any day! It might truly be that "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone", but I miss Iowa. And when you look at our conference mates Iowa is much better than OK, KS, WV, and especially this god-forsaken failed-nation, treeless hayfield called Texas!

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Before CPR got to Ames that wasn't the case. 2 years in a row we were going for a Big 12 North title and JTS had 35000 in it for big games. Macs last game drew about the same numbers. The athletic dept was begging people to come to games. Yes the past few years have been different but low attendance isn't too far in the past.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Unless you live in a coastal or mountain state this could potentially be said about any state. But having lived in several of each I'd take Iowa any day! It might truly be that "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone", but I miss Iowa. And when you look at our conference mates Iowa is much better than OK, KS, WV, and especially this god-forsaken failed-nation, treeless hayfield called Texas!
Excellent post.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
Sadly, it looks like those of you who made the trip are going to get less than Morgantown's best effort when it comes to tailgating. I guess the combination of last season, this season, the students out of town, etc have put a damper on support for the team.

Several of you posted earlier that you don't know how it is that you all are able to keep filling the stadium and keep your support for the team so high given the poor seasons. I wish I knew how you do it too. I and several others posted in a thread on our boards about an ISU fan who was psyched up about making the RV trip. Several debbie downers asked what he was so excited about given the teams records. Several of us pointed out that that was what true fans do...they support the team in the good times and the bad. Seems as though we have a lot we could learn from you all about being a fan. Kudos to you all.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Sadly, it looks like those of you who made the trip are going to get less than Morgantown's best effort when it comes to tailgating. I guess the combination of last season, this season, the students out of town, etc have put a damper on support for the team.

Several of you posted earlier that you don't know how it is that you all are able to keep filling the stadium and keep your support for the team so high given the poor seasons. I wish I knew how you do it too. I and several others posted in a thread on our boards about an ISU fan who was psyched up about making the RV trip. Several debbie downers asked what he was so excited about given the teams records. Several of us pointed out that that was what true fans do...they support the team in the good times and the bad. Seems as though we have a lot we could learn from you all about being a fan. Kudos to you all.

Talking about how great our fans are is literally the best way to become loved on CF. Congratulations.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

It's a great way to see the country and meet people from around the country. Everyone I have met so far in Morgantown has been great.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There is nothing I would rather do on a Saturday then spend 6 hours grilling and getting drunk before going into a stadium surrounded by 55,000 Cyclones and cheering on ISU. Winning is nice, but it is far from the only thing.

This is true. Our tailgating atmosphere is what drives our large attendance. Even more amazing is this season's tailgating sucked. I think we had one good tailgating day thanks to the weather and schedule:

Hottest kickoff in ISU history for UNI
Great tailgating day for iowa
Thursday game for Texas
11am kickoffs for OSU and TCU
Coldest game ever for Kansas.

We made the best of what we had, tailgating all day for both the extreme temperatures and tailgating at 5am for the 11am games, but i'm looking forward to next year's better schedule.