Niang gets the most worthless fouls

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
called against him all the time. how does this always happen? it is like every time he actually commits a foul he doesn't get called. then he just stands in the way of a shooter straight up and they jump into him and he gets a call against him.

just like last season with the various "charging" calls he got called against him.

i really don't know what my point is with this post but it seems he picks up at least 3 ticky tacky calls every game.

anyone else notice this? or am i seeing things with tunnel vision?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
called against him all the time. how does this always happen? it is like every time he actually commits a foul he doesn't get called. then he just stands in the way of a shooter straight up and they jump into him and he gets a call against him.

just like last season with the various "charging" calls he got called against him.

i really don't know what my point is with this post but it seems he picks up at least 3 ticky tacky calls every game.

I agree. There are many times he stands straight up and they run into him and they get a foul call, and then there are times he hacks and gets away with clear, obvious fouls. Not sure why.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hogue was the one who got the mystery calls last night. The double foul was crap, the one where he was called for a foul when Mika was draped over his back was crap, and the block/charge at the end of the game was crap.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I agree. There are many times he stands straight up and they run into him and they get a foul call, and then there are times he hacks and gets away with clear, obvious fouls. Not sure why.

Georges does a good job getting in position and getting his hands straight up but he leans in with his body and draws contact with his chest. I think a lot are ticky-tack and should be no-calls, but that's why they get called. I noticed a lot of plays last night that when coming over to help on the drive he didn't foul but has a tendency to reach. He needs to stop doing that as well.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Georges does a good job getting in position and getting his hands straight up but he leans in with his body and draws contact with his chest. I think a lot are ticky-tack and should be no-calls, but that's why they get called. I noticed a lot of plays last night that when coming over to help on the drive he didn't foul but has a tendency to reach. He needs to stop doing that as well.

This....99% of George's fouls are, in fact, fouls. He leans in big time with the body and nudges. He thinks the hands straight up will make it ok.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
What's he supposed to do though. If he doesn't brace for the contact and falls then he's going to get called every time too. It seems like there isn't a good situation for these. I would like to see these ones called on the floor because neither the offensive player or defensive player can really do anything and that seems to kind of neutralize the penalty some.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

A lot of fouls he gets called on I ask myself " what else was he supposed to do?"

HiltonSouth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2010
Kansas City
Ejim gets my vote for some of the dumbest fouls. Can't wait until he stops throwing his elbow or shoulder into everything. Easy charge call every time.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I seriously thought he was called for about 7 fouls last night. In the second half he got whistled and i was like "crap that's 4 on him." Then the announcers (who were really bad) said that was his 2nd.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Ejim's charges last night. The two he was called for were bad I thought. The defender flopped hard on both occasions and was still moving anyway. Then he bulls over a completely stationary guy later in the game, and no charge is called. Very inconsistent.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
This....99% of George's fouls are, in fact, fouls. He leans in big time with the body and nudges. He thinks the hands straight up will make it ok.

The issue with that opinion is you could say that about every post player's defense, yet they get away with "it".

IMO the refs are calling anticipation fouls. Georges might as well go after the block and get more physical like everyone else if the refs already have their mind made up.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
My theory has always been if you are going to foul then foul hard and don't let them make the basket.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Ejim's charges last night. The two he was called for were bad I thought. The defender flopped hard on both occasions and was still moving anyway. Then he bulls over a completely stationary guy later in the game, and no charge is called. Very inconsistent.

Agree on what you are saying, but it makes it easy for the ref to call when he sees that forearm extended.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Niang is still young. While growing up he was probably the biggest and best player around. He learned he could get away with those things because of his size and dominance. Now that he's playing with better and bigger players (and better refs(!!1) those will get called. He'll learn and continue to get even better. Dude's a beast and I'm glad we got em!

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I seriously thought he was called for about 7 fouls last night. In the second half he got whistled and i was like "crap that's 4 on him." Then the announcers (who were really bad) said that was his 2nd.
Same here. I think they call that the "Whithey syndrome". You know, like when people say "man, that guy has been there forever"? That's called the "Settles syndrome". As of now there is no known cure.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Niang is still young. While growing up he was probably the biggest and best player around. He learned he could get away with those things because of his size and dominance. Now that he's playing with better and bigger players (and better refs(!!1) those will get called. He'll learn and continue to get even better. Dude's a beast and I'm glad we got em!

As Niang played with Nerlen Noels in HS this isn't really true.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Niang sometime gets little lazy on defensive side. When you play lazy D, you pile up fouls you don't want.

His offensive game is whole different story. He may not be athletic, but he sure knows how to score like Kevin Love!

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
This just seems to be the case in basketball imo, not just Niang. It's one thing that really drives me nuts about the way games are called in general. Almost like if it's an exciting play, they let the fouling go. Boring play, "Well, we have to make up for that one we didn't call."