Kevin Ware cited for speeding in 2013 Dodge Challenger in Octobber

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I will be sure to remember that to be a "great guy" you can never drive to fast.

Recklessly endanger others by driving an unsafe speed and then end up killing a 64 YO guy coming home from work when your car goes airborne and jumps the traffic barrier and you end up in his driver's seat? Yeah, think that takes you out of the 'great guy' category in my book.

Here's the other guy's car:

BZZrlccCIAAAFGl.jpg

"Speed is for the speedway, not the highway" curt, I'm sure you've heard that before while loading up the trailer.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Family might have gotten a ton of donations after he shattered his leg. That was a huge story that everyone was familiar with. Don't be so quick to think it was from UL.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
If Ejim or Kane got pulled over for going 95 mph would you expect a harsher punishment?

Nope, its speeding. I am guessing Fred would say the same thing. A long walk to the practice facility is a pretty good punishment.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I have ever no issue with letting the state punish for the speed. That's their job. But why is there not a question about how this kid can afford a brand new challenger? That's Pitino's job. If he doesn't do it, then I hope the NCAA would step in (although I know they won't).

Maybe because they aren't having to pay for college? When you have a college-aged kid, you've had a long time to build up some wealth.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Maybe because they aren't having to pay for college? When you have a college-aged kid, you've had a long time to build up some wealth.

Here's how things work in the world of scholarships. Your scholarship is the cost of the University's tuition ($7,000), books ($1,000) and room and board ($6,000), say $14,000 (for an easy number). Tuition is automatically paid for ($7,000 gone), books automatically paid for ($1,000 gone). So now you decide to get an off campus apartment that costs say $250/month ($250/month x 12 months = $3,000). Now you have $4,000 left to spend on food, clothes, fun, cars, whatever. Plus most likely the athlete is eligible for a Pell Grant, bam another $4,000 per year.

Heck i bought me first racecar with my excess scholarship money.

Numbers above are made up and not exact costs.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Family might have gotten a ton of donations after he shattered his leg. That was a huge story that everyone was familiar with. Don't be so quick to think it was from UL.

That's an interesting thought. Would that still be against the rules if it was Louisville boosters? I assume that it still would be to protect against abuse of the system like that.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here's how things work in the world of scholarships. Your scholarship is the cost of the University's tuition ($7,000), books ($1,000) and room and board ($6,000), say $14,000 (for an easy number). Tuition is automatically paid for ($7,000 gone), books automatically paid for ($1,000 gone). So now you decide to get an off campus apartment that costs say $250/month ($250/month x 12 months = $3,000). Now you have $4,000 left to spend on food, clothes, fun, cars, whatever. Plus most likely the athlete is eligible for a Pell Grant, bam another $4,000 per year.

Plus the expectation (in these guys case) of at least a 6-figure paycheck when they leave.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Pretty sure Korie was driving a Camaro around at ISU. But I think he had that while he was at MSU

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Yeah, but was it as fast as a Challenger?

:jimlad:

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
When I was in school, it was common to see Fizer or Tinsley driving around campus in their brand new SUVs.
fizer yes, tinsley no. and i think fizer got his from being "employed" at a car dealership so he could drive whatever car off the lot he wanted for the day.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Apparently the Challenger was being borrowed from a friend. It's not Ware's.

Is that friend a booster? Did he have relationship with this person before he was a recruitable athlete? If they have to answer yes and then no to those questions this is no different than a certain international Iowa State athlete missing a whole fistful of games because his surrogate family here in Iowa (who were Hawk fans, but once bought ISU tickets) loaned him their beater car.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think 2 players from last years ISU mens BB squad had new Camaros...Can't recall who at this time for the life of me but do remember one was bright as hell yellow and the other white. (Lucious and McGee maybe?!?)

I think I could afford a lot nicer car not having college and food to pay for. Shoot I think many get living assistance. I could buy lots of **** if I didnt have to pay for food, college, and living.....

Somewhat off topic, but it involves cars and basketball players..and yellow ones even.

When I was leaving Ames back in the day, I was shopping for a midsized car locally. I stopped out to George White and they had me test drive a new yellow, Chevy Cavalier coupe. Just an eye sore and I really didn't have any interest in that car, let alone a yellow one...the guy trying to sell me said, "you know, this is the same car Jake Sullivan just bought." As much as I loved Jake, his choice of yellow car did not make me want to buy one. :twitcy:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When I was in school, it was common to see Fizer or Tinsley driving around campus in their brand new SUVs.

The only car I remember is the one that was loaned to Jiri by his Marshalltown foster parents...you know, the one with Hawkeye plates (or plate frame, can't remember which)...the one that incurred an infraction ruling & multiple game suspension from the ever even-handed NCAA?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Is that friend a booster? Did he have relationship with this person before he was a recruitable athlete? If they have to answer yes and then no to those questions this is no different than a certain international Iowa State athlete missing a whole fistful of games because his surrogate family here in Iowa (who were Hawk fans, but once bought ISU tickets) loaned him their beater car.

You and I had the same thought!

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

But, but, but....."no money to live on", "universities taking advantage of student athletes", etc. The horrible life of an athlete on campus, just a notch above being homeless.