Post game analysis-this team

Dingus

May 23, 2013
As someone else mentioned, Hogue played 37 minutes this game, by far the most of anyone on the team. In a game we only went 7 deep. That, combined with the fact I think BYU is quite tall (I think they start 2 6-10 guys and 2 6-6 guys or something similar) makes me think Hogue stays in the starting lineup next game. Though I don't really care who starts/plays off the bench, I'm guessing both Naz and Hogue will start.

Overall great game. Hogue should generally not be shooting more than a couple 3's a game though.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
I'm a little bit surprised with the posts I saw. Thomas did fine. He was often matched up with Stauskas who was the 2nd best player on the court today (after Ejim). I could see Stauskas eventually being first team all Big10, if not this year then next. Loved his game! I've been impressed with Thomas's physicality overall.

Niang is the troubling person. Even when he came in game after long rests he lumbers, and does not get in a defensive stance. So when the ball gets swung to his man his first move is to crouch into position, then his second move is to move laterally (if the player drives). He picks up so many fouls for this. I know Fred runs a largely positive coaching style, but I wouldn't be surprised if he unleashes Doc on Niang. I am really worried about Niang being able to eventually guard and rebound for his position. Up to this point he can't and he gets too many props for the fanbase. I think he may be who he is from day 1 through his senior year, aka Bret Meyer (who like Georges I like, and root for, but he obviously did not develop into a late round NFL draft pick that many thought after his freshman season).

Ejim is the absolute man, and I said it from day 1, he's the star of the team, not Niang, and will end up battling Perry Ellis for 1st team all conference. Thank goodness he played in this game or we would have been killed on the glass. Hogue's rebounding is also a great sign.

Kane's controlled body drives were Baron Davis like at times. Fantastic. When he plays too fast he seems to make more mistakes. He's one of the guys where I almost don't want him barreling in on a fast break, but love his drives within the offensive set.
So you think Niang gets too much props, while I think Ejim gets too much props. I think Kane is our star player, and I've said it since day 1. Just love them for what they are. That's why this team is great, someone different is going to have a big game almost every game. No need to pick and choose which one "deserves" more props

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Don't forget the role the Hilton crowd plays in keeping the ISU players in the game. Part of the reason the team played like this was a mid conference season tilt is because the crowd were reacting exactly as though it was. The crowd can struggle with a game vs. Directional State just as much as the players can.

Hilton Magic is real.

This
CFH's Last Couple Teams Never Had A Huge Game Like This At Hilton To Get Jacked Up For, And Come Together As An Underdog. I Think That's Why Games Like This Are Important For A Team.

But Also Don't Be surprised To See This Team Struggle, And Maybe Even Lose, Against A Team They're Not Supposed To. Just Because maybe They Haven't
Learned How To Turn It On Against Everyone, And Not Just The Big Ones.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
This
CFH's Last Couple Teams Never Had A Huge Game Like This At Hilton To Get Jacked Up For, And Come Together As An Underdog. I Think That's Why Games Like This Are Important For A Team.

But Also Don't Be surprised To See This Team Struggle, And Maybe Even Lose, Against A Team They're Not Supposed To. Just Because maybe They Haven't

Almost all teams in college BB lose a game or games they shouldn't. See ND, and UNC from yesterday.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
This

Lol, surprisingly hard to read

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Niang needs his 3-point threat from last year to return. When that happens, he is impossible to guard and opens the rest of the team up so much. I completely disagree with the poster that thinks he has reached his ceiling. It's early and he's only a sophomore. I think most players improve the most going into their junior year. Niang has a ton of upside that will continue to grow.

I love this team and think they will be better than last year's team. Just looking at the michigan game and comparing to almost all the big games last year, the biggest difference so far is defense. Last ear we were unable to close out a game. Even if we won, it was scary right to the end.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
We still need the threat of a consistent 3 point game to keep defenses honest and make Fred's ideas about spacing on offense effective. Nice to see Naz sinking shots, but Thomas and others need to be effective as well. Michigan moved their feet pretty well on defense and ISU still overcame it, but I didn't think our offensive spacing was as good yesterday as it could be.

Reactions: Bobber

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I was very impressed with how they won. The played decent defense and won even with Niang in foul trouble and with the team struggling from three except Long.
I think you saw a small rotation because they Edizie or Gibson didnt really fit in that game bc of how Michigan plays and because SDW and Bluford are liabilities defensively.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Don’t know what this win says about some of our players. Proud of the win, but looking forward I can’t help but think why SDW or anyone else didn’t play. Clearly other players are more skilled but are the guys on the bench that far behind? Win with what you got thats what we did, hopefully others can prove themselves before conference play. Theres plenty of teams in the big 12 that are better or equal to Michigan, we should get better though.

You answered your own question. Fred is just playing our best players.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
You answered your own question. Fred is just playing our best players.

For the OOC and even early conference games, I think Fred plays the best players for the longer term. If he believes Thomas has the potential to be the outside threat he needs to balance the attack but lacks the confidence, then Fred may start him even though Matt isn't the best three-shooter now. Fred will still try to win all games but he coaches like a NBA coach as well as a college coach -- he manages egos as much or more as he develops or uses skills. To manage egos, you have to look beyond the game you are playing to the impact of your decisions on the future games.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Totally agree. As long as it doesn't destroy Thomas's confidence, I think that he comes off the bench for the time being. Right now Naz is better than him at every aspect of the game.

I tend to agree that Naz is playing better overall than Thomas. That's not a knock on Thomas. He's going to be great. But it's more about Naz having earned it.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
What I love about this team is they're fearless. They don't care what your school name is, or the number next to it. They're going to take it to you. I believe there was a GMac team that took Kansas to the wire (or did they beat Kansas? I've blocked that era out of my head) but they looked like they felt they shouldn't be in the same building. Stinson and Homan were fearless (or maybe reckless?) but the rest of the team wasn't. Blalock always seemed like a deer in headlights to me. This team though, with their prior big game experience, I think feels they can truly go toe to toe with any opponent and beat them.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Don't forget the role the Hilton crowd plays in keeping the ISU players in the game. Part of the reason the team played like this was a mid conference season tilt is because the crowd were reacting exactly as though it was. The crowd can struggle with a game vs. Directional State just as much as the players can.

Hilton Magic is real.

That was what I said before the game, in the prediction thread. If this team gives itself a chance to win, the crowd will do EVERYTHING in its power to pull the team through. We have seen it too many times over the years for it to be a coincidence

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
With the way Naz is shooting, I don't know how you put Thomas in front of him. His defense is a liability. Would rather have Thomas and Morris first off the bench.

It isn't necessarily putting Thomas ahead of Naz. I think it is just a good situation to bring Naz off the bench much like Tyrus last year. You let Thomas keep playing and getting comfortable. As I said, Naz is a team guy, so you don't have to worry about ego with him. I think Thomas' defense is serviceable at this point. He won't be facing Stauskas every night.

If Fred goes with Naz and brings Thomas off the bench, that's fine and completely understandable. I'm just giving my best analysis of the situation. I think Thomas will be just as good of a threat offensively as Naz, but obviously he's not as comfortable right now. To be able to bring in offense and defense off the bench will be a nice luxury. Obviously, Hoiberg will know how to handle the situation better than any of us.

Our top 7 are very good and ready to play now. We just need one guy to step up and show they're ready for the big time.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
It isn't necessarily putting Thomas ahead of Naz. I think it is just a good situation to bring Naz off the bench much like Tyrus last year. You let Thomas keep playing and getting comfortable. As I said, Naz is a team guy, so you don't have to worry about ego with him. I think Thomas' defense is serviceable at this point. He won't be facing Stauskas every night.

If Fred goes with Naz and brings Thomas off the bench, that's fine and completely understandable. I'm just giving my best analysis of the situation. I think Thomas will be just as good of a threat offensively as Naz, but obviously he's not as comfortable right now. To be able to bring in offense and defense off the bench will be a nice luxury. Obviously, Hoiberg will know how to handle the situation better than any of us.

Our top 7 are very good and ready to play now. We just need one guy to step up and show they're ready for the big time.

I tend to agree with this. I don't think it's a bad thing to start Thomas over Naz. Fred can still give Naz more minutes that Thomas if he's hot or if we need a little bit more stout defense. Look at last year when he had Mcgee come off the bench and in some games play damn near the most minutes of the team.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
First, I don't think it matters who starts at all. I think CFH will just go with whatever lineup he feels is the best for each game. Sometimes that may mean starting Hogue, Niang and Ejim. Sometimes it might mean starting 3 guards and leaving Hogue to come in off the bench.

What I do hope is that ISU can get to more than a 7 man rotation. If not, that could make things pretty rough by the end of the Big 12 season. I understand why it was done yesterday. I just hope that is not a regular situation.

Like with any Hoiberg team though....I can't wait to see how good this team is by the time March rolls around.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Naz Long is the X-factor this season that I think a lot of people were not expecting. He plays so calm and composed. I see a ton of Babb in Naz. I love how great of a teammate he is as well. Totally unselfish, and his shot has been money thus far. Something else I love is how he really wants to lock down the other teams best player, you gotta have the right attitude to have that assignment.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron