Props to the crowd at Hilton today.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
We hate Kansas more, so there's less hostility but tons of noise. It makes sense to me.
Yeah, other than the McGary chant there wasn't much hostility. It's also different because the other team only had 5 guys on the court which is rarely the case with Kansas.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
I'm not sure if ESPN was trying to make it cleaner than it sounded because I had a friend watching at home who thought he heard overrated as well.

I think tonight trumped Kansas last year.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Dudes. F McGary was going on when he knocked Naz over.

Overrated was going on the last 10 minutes of the game. Even when we were tied for some reason.

Wrong. I was very close to the source. It was F McGary. Dude.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Please. I'm sure back in your day Hilton was the best atmosphere around and people only had nice things to say to the opposition.

Actually, back in the day Hilton was the best atmosphere (ask Fred, he was a player here when I was in school) and the students could "get in the head" of opposing players (as students say they were doing) without resorting to f** you. You don't have swear to be insulting, get a little creative. The students camped out for 20 hrs in the rain and that was all they could come up with?

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
If F McGary was really the chant ISU students used, then that's embarrassing. Please represent my school and yours with some pride.

Why is it embarrassing? What's not prideful about it?

We've placed this arbitrary "profane" label on these words, and get all bent out of shape about them, when in reality, all that word means, in that context, is "we really dislike the way you're playing the game of Basketball, Mitchell McGary, and wish you ill-luck on your continued playing of the game!" Just, you know, short enough that we can clap five times in a sychopated fashion afterwards.

It's an invective that has some pretty astounding versatility. It's not the word that's profane, it's the arbitrary decision to make it profane that makes it profane.

Butthead used to be profane. We gave up on that being profane. Bloody is profane in other english speaking countries, but it just sounds weird and nerdy when someone uses it here as an invective.

It's a word, one syllable, three consonants, one vowel. You're the one giving it profane meaning, not the crowd.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
This game was not at the level of KU last season, but it was still very loud and fun. That KU game will be tough to top.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I'd have to listen to the DVR but I thought it was 'overrated' the entire game. It seemed odd to me as there was an awful lot of game left and we did not have it locked away yet.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
Actually, back in the day Hilton was the best atmosphere (ask Fred, he was a player here when I was in school) and the students could "get in the head" of opposing players (as students say they were doing) without resorting to f** you. You don't have swear to be insulting, get a little creative. The students camped out for 20 hrs in the rain and that was all they could come up with?

Please. I was in the student section for every single one of Fred's years, despite being too young. I learned to swear from Johnny Orr, and perfected the art with student section chants. If you think those crowds had more class than to resort to an F Bomb, you're editing in your mind. The barnyard chant was on a hair trigger in those days. F' the refs chants were an art form, and I was three seats away when the Hilton staff took from a student a sign that informed Bryant Reeves he'd misspelled his nickname...

Last edited:

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I was at the game and it never even occurred to me that it was "overrated". It was definitely F McGary every time and I never once heard overrated. That's too bad it sounded like overrated on TV. I think that chant makes fan bases sound stupid.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Kansas last year was louder for longer periods of time and I think had a more volatile feel to it. This one was loud but calmer if that makes senesce.

I was at both games, and I would agree with this. The CYCLONE POWER chant at the Kansas game last year seemed more intense for longer periods than chants tonight. Still the crowd tonight was amazing. It may not have seemed as "volatile" probably because we don't have the hatred towards Michigan that we do for KU.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Wasn't at the Kansas game last year, how did this compare? Not even close?

During high points of the game, and at the final buzzer I thought it was pretty similar to our recent big KpUke games. But leading up to the tip, I thought tonight was better. I even made that comment to my family, up in the balcony, that it seemed a lot louder and more intense, especially when the team came out. I thought it was awesome how they had the camera in the locker room hallway with the team before they came out through the doors and showed it on the video screens. I don't remember them doing that before, I hope they do it again!

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
You know what I just realized?

Not once did I hear any stupid "the ball is bigger than the hoop" or "your shoe's untied" chants from the pep band.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Here we go.. the classic Old Folks vs. Current Students battle re: Hilton quality.

Why are we doing this tonight, of all nights?

Enjoy the magic... Enjoy the Mayor. Stop complaining.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
You know what I just realized?

Not once did I hear any stupid "the ball is bigger than the hoop" or "your shoe's untied" chants from the pep band.

It only took a sell-out crowd of 14,000+ people to finally drown out the 30 band kids. Congrats.