Dana Holgerson for ISU OC

Zmac328

Dec 15, 2010
Just throwing this idea out there.Clearly ISU needs some juice on the offensive side of the ball.Dana Holgerson is from Mount Pleasant, Iowa, I believe and it looks like he'll be needing a job for next fall. I think it'd be wise if CPR snagged him up and had him call plays next fall.He's run WVU into the ground and his hair is horrible, but he's had great success calling plays. Paul should give him a try.All I know is that if Messingham is conducting the offense next fall, Rhoads has lost his freaking mind.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Just throwing this idea out there.Clearly ISU needs some juice on the offensive side of the ball.Dana Holgerson is from Mount Pleasant, Iowa, I believe and it looks like he'll be needing a job for next fall. I think it'd be wise if CPR snagged him up and had him call plays next fall.He's run WVU into the ground and his hair is horrible, but he's had great success calling plays. Paul should give him a try.All I know is that if Messingham is conducting the offense next fall, Rhoads has lost his freaking mind.

He will be an OC at a bigger program. He will not come to Ames.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
You don't go from HC in the Big 12 (who also won an orange bowl two years ago! apparently that means something in these parts) to Big 12 OC. He needs to be a HC somewhere, fail, be an OC at a highish level school, fail, and then agree to take a massive paycut in order to take the job here.

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field

We certainly could use an offensive mind like that but CPR would never hire Holgy. CPR liked Bill Stewart and Holgy pretty much undermined him to get the WVA job. Behavior like that carries long, long consequences from coaches

Point is still taken, we definitely need an upgrade at OC, someone with such a pedigree would be unreal

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Short list I've compiled of potential OC candidates:

Holgorsen
Kevin Wilson: Current Indiana head coach, on the hot seat
Seth Littrell: Current Indiana OC, coached running backs for Leach from 2005 to 2008
Dave Christensen: Current Wyoming HC, former Mizzou OC, more or less on the hot seat this year
Dave Schramm: Current Fresno State OC, and OC at Utah in 2009 and 2010
Charlie Taaffe: Current Central Florida OC
Todd Monken: Current Southern Miss HC on the hot seat, former Okie State OC

As you can see I'm not a big fan of the Mangino idea, too much extra weight, pun intended.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
If we. Ould get mangino it would be a hell of a hire. Guy can coach. He got ku to the Orange Bowl. Yeah KU. Why would we not take him if possible.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We certainly could use an offensive mind like that but CPR would never hire Holgy. CPR liked Bill Stewart and Holgy pretty much undermined him to get the WVA job. Behavior like that carries long, long consequences from coaches

Point is still taken, we definitely need an upgrade at OC, someone with such a pedigree would be unreal

If people couldn't figure out what was going on when Holgerson was hired there, they are idiots. Also, Rhoads has done the whole "hire a guy I like" deal and it has lead to the worst offensive football we have had in a decade which is really saying something.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
How about just upgrading Coach Klenakis to OC since we are running the offensive scheme that he invented at Nevada.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I'm putting myself on the OC job search. If anyone saw my play calling ability in NCAA '11, '12, & '13 they would understand i am very qualified. My game tapes have been sent into Rhoads already so i'm assuming i will be hired some time in mid January

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
How about just upgrading Coach Klenakis to OC since we are running the offensive scheme that he invented at Nevada.

This ioffensive scheme needs to go away, now. We don't need another guy to come in and re-invent a triangular wheel. We've been there and done that.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Would you pick up this guy for half the price of Mess?

[video=youtube;AGDaOJAYHfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDaOJAYHfo[/video]

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Would you pick up this guy for half the price of Mess?

[video=youtube;AGDaOJAYHfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDaOJAYHfo[/video]

That's nuts. I remember hearing about that guy. It was cool to hear the prob and stat side of it.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
We can help make him available by piling on with kansas and beating them.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Might as well just keep Messingham if he's cheap. I honestly don't think it matters until CPR changes his outlook on things. Offense looks very similar under Herman as it does under Mess, yet Herman was dominant at Rice and is doing great as Urban's puppet in Columbus.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Might as well just keep Messingham if he's cheap. I honestly don't think it matters until CPR changes his outlook on things. Offense looks very similar under Herman as it does under Mess, yet Herman was dominant at Rice and is doing great as Urban's puppet in Columbus.

What makes you think what works at OSU is what will be optimal for ISU's roster? I would not say having success with the kind of talent OSU has and Urban dictating the overall framework suggests what you are alluding to.
How does Rice's roster compare to their opponents?

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
I think Rhoads should be thanked for a few good years and moved on. Not a popular opinion but he gets paid to avoid 1-11 seasons and after all the "One Way FOrward" marketing crap I think the wheels have fallen off.

BUt most of this message board wants the entire fanbase to dissappear and 30000 empty seats a game before they'd fire Rhoads. THen, maybe then they'd think of it. Sorry but any fan who doesn't think about getting an upgrade in coaching basically would rather have crowds dip to the low 30,000s than hurt the feelings of a local guy by firing him.

Sorry, its Iowa St you can't keep status quo after 1-11 and expect that stadium full. New blood and new energy is required. I think the guy peaked.

He showed complete incompetence as an offensive coach in an offensive league. SOme people like his histrionics but every other Big 12 fanbase laughs at it. Those are big things. You can only scream and shout so much before the team tunes it out. Rhoads has no other tactics to motivate hes a 1 trick pony.

Being a nice guy isn't good for anything in this sport. Some people are glad ISU didn't hire Harbaugh because hes a jerk. Well speaking of him I bet Stanford wins if they don't let that crybaby wuss Jonathan Martin on their sidelines. How did that feel good move work for Shaw?

Im not saying fire Rhoads. BUt if you don't force a big name offensive coordinator on him like Holgerson who can recruit in his own right and put up 40 points each game against these poor Big 12 Ds you might as well can him because hes not going to fix it himself.

And if you want to keep drawing NFL sized crowds in a small state as the second most popular team it might be time to move on.

THe ISU job will be a lot better and easier to win immediately for a new coach right now than it would be after 1-2 more bad seasons.

Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron