Dana Holgerson for ISU OC

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Holgorsen didn't undermine anyone. He was to take over as head coach the following year and Bill Stewart approached a former Pittsburgh Post Gazette writer to "dig up dirt" on Holgorsen. If someone wants to hire Dana as OC they might want to remember that he made $1 million a year as an OC. Is ISU willing to pay that? Doubt it.

Are you willing to settle for a dunderhead offense then?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Why are they awful? There offense has been good this year without having great talent, not to mention Wilson was OC when Northwestern started using the spread and has experience at Oklahoma, while Littrell does have the background with Leach to consider.
The USC situation is interesting where they fired Kiffin and put in an offensive mind to call plays to win 5 of 6 games including Stanford.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
What about some OC's from FCS or D2 powerhouses?

Valdosta State - Andy Richman
UNI - Bill Salmon or Mario Verduzco
Northwest Missouri State - Charlie Flohr
North Dakota State - Brent Vigan

The list goes on and on...

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Would you pick up this guy for half the price of Mess?

[video=youtube;AGDaOJAYHfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDaOJAYHfo[/video]

I could go for this... no joke! The statistics are legit and if you are committed to this approach, I believe the players and potential recruits would love it.

We need something drastic to change the direction of our pathetic offense and doing something this aggressive would be awesome as long as it wasn't Mess implementing this strategy.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I'm still leary of trying to go out a slam dunk of hire for OC. Look what happened to Herman. Dude had all the credentials of being a great coach and look what happened. Rhoads needs to find someone like Wally, a guy that can take the talent he has and make it work. And I have no clue who that coach could be.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Holgorsen is the most overrated college football coach in the country. I'll argue with anyone about this because he has had insane amounts of NFL talent everywhere he has been (that he didn't recruit). He has also worked under the greatest offensive minds in college football---Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, Kevin Sumlin, and Mike Gundy

He had Geno Smith, Tavon Austin, Stedmon Bailey last year

Brandon Weeden, Justin Blackmon, Kendall Hunter, Okung at OSU

Case Keenum at Houston in his only year there

Harrell, Crabtree at Texas Tech

Look at his roster at West Virginia right now---they have similar pieces that we do and he can't even average 25 points a game.

Plus, I think this football staff is full of guys that are on the back end of their career or aren't at risk of being hired away by different schools. I don't want another guy on the back end of his career. I'd rather have an up and comer that has something to prove in the business

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Rumor has it that CPR had more say in the 'O' at ISU than Urban does at THE OSU. Part of our problem.

Exactly. and that's why neither Holgerson or any other high profile coach would take the ISU OC job. Lets say Holgerson is the OC. Holgerson names quarterback A the starter and gives him the majority of snaps in practice with the first team. Quarterback A throws an interception or misses an open receiver during a game and Rhoads inserts quarterback B. Months of preparation are thrown out on a whim.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Since it's been discussed at length I think it's worth pointing out for the offense to be "fixed" CPR will have to give an extensive amount of control to whoever he hires at OC. If he doesn't I don't think things will be a whole lot better over the next couple years.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I believe ISU should go in the direction of Auburn with the triple option veer. With everybody and their brother running some form of the spread the triple option gives defenses something they don't see very often.

An additional benefit is the weather in Ames which impacts passing. When Richardson lost his job he was trying to pass with the typical Northwest Iowa wind blowing, not that Rhoads took that into account. Let the opponent try to pass in cold and wind, ISU should be running the triple option.

Walden????

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Would you pick up this guy for half the price of Mess?

[video=youtube;AGDaOJAYHfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDaOJAYHfo[/video]

Here are some older articles I have read on this philosophy. Very interesting stuff.

RivalsHigh - Arkansas coach punts traditional game plan

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrookpreview/070904

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM897SI_qk4

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1160256/index.htm?eref=sisf

TMQ praises coach who doesn't punt, celebrates innovative mind in football - ESPN

I read a lot on CF about Cyclone fans that want our offense to do something different that sets us apart from what everyone else is doing. I personally think this approach with a new OC that is a talented and aggressive play caller would be awesome.

Football is so much about momentum. I had an OC in high school that took one home run shot on the first play every single time after we recovered a turnover from the opposing team. It didn't work every time... but it was always a huge momentum swing when we had a huge gain or scored.

I just pray that no matter what we do on offense in the future... that we play aggressive and find a way to score some points. I have seen enough 3 and outs during the past several years to last me twenty lifetimes.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I think Rhoads should be thanked for a few good years and moved on. Not a popular opinion but he gets paid to avoid 1-11 seasons and after all the "One Way FOrward" marketing crap I think the wheels have fallen off.

Im not saying fire Rhoads.

Um, yes you are. Did you read your own post?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
If I am an up and comer Off coordinator with dreams of hitting the big stage in my career Ames Iowa isn't my first or second choice. We have suspect talent up front on the offensive line so our qbs don't have time to throw, rbs don't have holes to go through etc. Our receivers are nothing special yet, obviously having Bundrage with Lazard, the transfer, and Bibbs next year with a healthy Wimberly will improve things I would expect.

Some of posters on here think that ISU is a coaching mecca that if we are interested in an individual that he is automatically interested in us. It doesn't work that way. If you think Mess was hired because we turned down a bunch of other hotshot candidates you are crazy. Do you honestly think CPR is going to come out and say well we couldn't find anyone else so we promoted the most qualified guy at the time on the coaching roster?

Let me give you an example of how good a mess offense can look, look at game tape of 2012 KU. Why is that a terrible O-coordinator can look really good on that night? Is it because he re-invented the wheel and changed his philosophy? No, our guys were better than theirs, bottom line. We could protect, receivers got separation and the qb was accurate. It made everything look great.

Another example is Texas this year, our offense played very well due to the fact that at the time Texas defenders were consistently out of position etc. They had the talent but they weren't a good overall defense at the time. Plus we were pretty healthy for that game.

Everyone needs to step back because this season has been done for weeks now. Give CPR a chance to make changes, let the kids get a year older and healthier, let the facilities and campus continue to sell an improved level of recruits. On paper the classes the last 2 years have been better than the previous 3. Then we can see if this year is an anomaly or the new norm. Because of the nice seasons CPR has given us after the Chizik debacle he deserves that.