JUCO QB #1 Priority

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
He is not the main issue because he doesn't have a running game to support him, and for much of the year, has had less than 2 seconds to throw after the ball is snapped. Up until the last game or two, he hasn't had enough time to even set his feet to throw, and he cannot move nearly as well as last year because of the ankle that CPR himself told everyone in week 3 would nag him all year. It has. A QB's best asset is his feet, not just his arm.

How is that ANY QBs fault? The cause is a horrible OC, lack of balance and rhythym on offense, lack of consistent OL play, dropped passes, bad routes, and you want to waste a scholly on a new QB? That's like saying we need to throw billions of dollars more to fix Obamacare. The root issue is lack of leadership. It is coaching. His high school experience is very relevant...put him around good coaching, good OL play and he is an awesome QB. A winner. End of story. Pull good coaching away, and here is your result. What QB has CM developed at ISU? None.

And quit telling people they are wrong all the time. Be a grown up, provide your opinion, and back it up with facts.

You're avoiding the question. If he is not part of the problem, why has Rhoads benched him repeatedly and failed to name him the starter. Are you saying you are more informed and capable to make that decision than Rhoads? Okay. I'm pretty sure Rhoads won't give him the nod because of his high school record.

Last edited:

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
You're avoiding the question. If he is not part of the problem, why has Rhoads benched him repeatedly and failed to name him the starter. Are you saying you are more informed and capable to make that decision than Rhoads? Okay. I'm pretty sure Rhoads won't give him the nod because of his high school record.

Rhoads does not exactly have a stellar record when it comes to the QB's and offense over his tenure.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
I find it odd that you continue to use the "so you think you're smarter than Rhoads?" argument while telling everyone how Rhoads needs to recruit.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This staff had some tough luck with QB Schollies, they went Juco with Jantz, that was a calculated risk, but losing Capello and Barnett the last few years combined with taking a juco made us extremely young at QB. FWIW, I'm not giving up on SR, when healthy he's effective, I do question his durability but not his talent. IMO if we had an upperclassman with a little experience Sam would've sat a couple games due to injury.

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
I think we need help at QB independent of the other problems we have on offense. The quickest way to get that help is the JUCO route. Is that guaranteed to work? Of course not. Just like any other offer works or doesn't.

Look, I hope I'm wrong. I really do. I have nothing against anyone on our roster. I'm as big of ISU fan as anyone on here. Trust me.

I don't understand why anyone would think that Rhoads would make these changes if he felt they lessened his chances of winning. That makes no sense. Think about it, if he felt that all these other variables were responsible for the poor QB play, why in the world would he make these changes? That's my point. If I'm offending someone, that is not my intent.

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Wrong again. I never said he was horrible. I said he's proving not to be the answer.

I have no clue what your "cause and effect" comment means. Same question, if he isn't part of "the issue" why has Rhoads benched him several times and reluctant to name him the starter. His high school record has absolutely nothing to do with his performance now and whether he's a B12-winning QB. Also, it's laughable to assume that it's a waste to offer a JUCO QB. Just how do you know this?

I think that you're dead wrong. Rhoads is changing QBs because SR is injured and has lost his confidence. GR is just inexperienced. Rhoads is looking for a spark...like he found with SR last year. IMO the last thing that we want to do is bring in a JUCO QB and have a 4 way competition this spring. The remaining scholarships need to go to JUCO defenders. And the offense will pretty much fix itself. Here's how:

1. They need a new OC/playcaller. They're going to have to get someone who is in complete control of the offense, not a quasi-OC with Klenakis and Sturdy in his ear. And I would hope that their offense is not based on the zone read.
2. The OL will come around given the experience gained this year, the added bulk in the offseason and getting everyone healthy.
3. WRs will be immensely improved with Lazard, Montgomery plus an improved PJ Harris and Tad Ecby. They already have one spot covered with Bundrage and with Lazard on the other side, defenses can't double both of them. If they do, Jarvis West is going to go crazy.
4. TE will be good. Brun has hardly played, so they're not going to miss him. They get Boesen back to go with Bibbs plus Quan West and Leslie off of RS.
5. No drop off at RB with our best two returning.
6. SR can be a VERY solid starter with some protection, better WRs and a running game. A QB running for his life (while dinged up already) is not a recipe for success. Any QB who has been through what SR has is going to get happy feet and miss some WRs. Freaking Peyton Manning even looks like crap when he's getting hit every down.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Richardson is going to dominate next season... just need to keep him healthy.

Only way this could happen is to ditch our current OC and our offensive scheme too.

Sam cannot run the read option and survive IMO. I'm even more convinced that this offense will destroy QBs after watching Baylor last night. Petty, Baylor's QB, kept having to pick himself off the turf all night long last night. He took a beating. I thought for sure he was going to have to come off the field a few times, but he kept limping back to the huddle.

They said last night that Petty was now 6'3" and 240 lbs. And he's still getting beat up. Sam is 6'2" and 205 lbs. He will never last in our offense IMO. We will never see the "healthy" Sam Richardson in this offense.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Only way this could happen is to ditch our current OC and our offensive scheme too.

Sam cannot run the read option and survive IMO. I'm even more convinced that this offense will destroy QBs after watching Baylor last night. Petty, Baylor's QB, kept having to pick himself off the turf all night long last night. He took a beating. I thought for sure he was going to have to come off the field a few times, but he kept limping back to the huddle.

They said last night that Petty was now 6'3" and 240 lbs. And he's still getting beat up. Sam is 6'2" and 205 lbs. He will never last in our offense IMO. We will never see the "healthy" Sam Richardson in this offense.

True. The sooner we figure out that it's not a sustainable to run an offense based on the designed QB run, the better off well be. At some point they will figure that out but until then they will always deal with dinged up qbs.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
True. The sooner we figure out that it's not a sustainable to run an offense based on the designed QB run, the better off well be. At some point they will figure that out but until then they will always deal with dinged up qbs.

Agree.

Not only was Petty getting beat up, but it appears Oregon's Marcus Mariotta has been getting beat up too. He's been playing with a sprained MCL and a knee brace.

I can't tell you how much I hate an offense built on the QB running so much. It's beyond stupid IMO.

Yeah, it can be effective, up until the point that your QB gets carried off the field by his teammates. Then it goes downhill pretty quick.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
the Cyclones have a potpourrie of quarterbacks we don't need another quarterback. the reason Sam has been out is injuries and the fall out from injuries. As far as I'm concerned you can blame the OC for that, based on calling the zone read about 50 times against UNI. That one game and the asinine play calling put our entire season in a tailspin. the boys have a few games this season to get their mojo back let's root like hell for them.
I suppose it couldn't have had anything to do with the play he got sacked on a pass rush--and clearly injured his ankle? That was against UNI,right? Well, I guess that you can attribute it to whatever you want to.

Ummm...because he's had the snot beaten out of him? How obvious is this? Injuries to ankle, groin, neck and back, including what appears to be a mild case of spinal cord shock. Call me crazy, but I'm kinda thinking that being sacked four or five times a game adds up. Just because CPR isn't using injuries as an "excuse" doesn't mean that's not why SR's performance has been affected.

Spinal cord injury: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Emergency signs and symptoms
Emergency signs and symptoms of spinal cord injury after an accident may include:

• Extreme back pain or pressure in your neck, head or back
  • Weakness, in coordination or paralysis in any part of your body
  • Numbness, tingling or loss of sensation in your hands, fingers, feet or toes
  • Loss of bladder or bowel control
  • Difficulty with balance and walking
  • Impaired breathing after injury
  • An oddly positioned or twisted neck or back

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
The only solution to QB problems is to get a JUCO. I don't see anyway how this wouldn't work.

To not try to get a juco would border on criminal.

We do not have the answer at QB on campus. We bring in plenty of players each year who don't end up doing much. May as well grab two athletic JUCO QBs and hope we find a Seneca in the rough. If not, make them a WR or DB.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Yes, our QBs suck, but so does the rest of the team. How is getting a JUCO QB going to solve anything. JUCOs are just as much of a risk as any other recruit. Richardson is the answer, IMO. There is just no talent/effort/heart around him (coaches included).

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Yes, our QBs suck, but so does the rest of the team. How is getting a JUCO QB going to solve anything. JUCOs are just as much of a risk as any other recruit. Richardson is the answer, IMO. There is just no talent/effort/heart around him (coaches included).

I'll spell it out for you.

A lot of people think that the most important position on the field is part of the problem. Developing a young player takes time and most people don't want to wait. Because of this, people are in favor of trying to get a JUCO QB as a replacement to our current QBs on campus, rather than putting all of our eggs in the the baskets of the QBs already on the team.

A good QB can cover up a lot of warts, whether it's in the OLine, running game or WRs.

CyFan3

Apr 1, 2012
West Des Moines, IA
All u people that ate in love with Richardson I just don't get it...the guy has won 1 game as a starter, 1 game!!! Everyone comes up with excuse after excuse after excuse for this guy...its his thumb one week, his knee the next blah blah blah. Grant isn't any better but let's stop with notion that Sam is the answer.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'll spell it out for you.

A lot of people think that the most important position on the field is part of the problem. Developing a young player takes time and most people don't want to wait. Because of this, people are in favor of trying to get a JUCO QB as a replacement to our current QBs on campus, rather than putting all of our eggs in the the baskets of the QBs already on the team.

A good QB can cover up a lot of warts, whether it's in the OLine, running game or WRs.

Correct. We do have a lot of problems, however, it's much harder to replace an entire offensive line, or an entire group of WRs in just one season for example.

But taking a chance on getting a JUCO playmaker at QB is probably worth the risk of only using one scholly on. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but it's only one player.