Friday OT - Worst Advice You've Ever Received

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I love the accusation that people who think Big Bang Theory sucks "don't get the jokes". Most of the people who love it have no idea what the scientific principles in the punch lines are, but they laugh anyways, because the laugh track tells them to.

I don't particularly enjoy shows that are a revolving set of punch lines, which is what Big Bang Theory is.

Currently airing comedy shows that I like:
-Parks & Rec
-It's Always Sunny
-The League
-South Park

Big Bang Theory is basically the same structure as 2.5 Men, but with nerds instead of Charlie Sheen. My disdain for the show really has nothing to do with the nerd aspect (Freaks & Geeks is great), and everything to do with unfunny/unclever writing that's basically a rehash of a million other shows, but dressed up to take advantage of the rising popularity of nerd culture. It's soul-less money grabbing at it's finest. And people eat that **** up.

I gave two other reasons in there as well that you must have missed. In which case, it would appear you fall into the first.

Also when I refered to people that don't like it I said "usually", not "every one of". I also like that you think that the only reason people laugh is because the laugh track tells them to. I laugh because I think it is funny.

Anyway, I'm done with the BBT talk. Sorry for de-railing.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
You will go blind if you keep doing that. Hasn't happened yet.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Someone told me when I just started dating... "Quantity over quality" I didn't listen to that... My little brother did though, and it's almost comical.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
All I know is that I got a lot of bad advice when I was drunk, but of course that same advice sounded amazing while drunk.

You want to drink beer before liquor.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Summer after high school in small town Iowa: “Ask her out, man, I know Jim is a psycho but they really are not dating anymore and she does like you.â€￾

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
3 years before my job was transferred due to BRAC, my wife and I purchased a house and we were encouraged to do so by my parents and her parents. This was right before the real estate market crashed. Our parents were convinced that either the portion of BRAC affecting us would be cancelled or I would find another job in the Quad Cities. Neither happened, and we moved to the Detroit metro 2 years ago. We were fortunate - we were able to sell the place well above the appraised value which had dropped sharply in just 3 years due to the market crash (the appraiser was stunned we got the offer we did as similar properties sold for thousands less) and we only had to write a $600 check to the bank to pay off the rest of the mortgage, but we lost all of the equity in the home. Because of this we are still living in an apartment instead of a house.

I don't blame my parents and I'm not mad at them nor was I ever, because the decision to buy was mine and my wife's, and we knew what might be happening in the future. It's just when you are used to getting quality advice from your parents and they encourage you to do something that ends up going so wrong, it just makes you question their advice later on.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Seriously, enough with BBT...that argument will never be solved, so let's talk about Cyclone Alley instead.

oh ,sorry...worst advice. Do you want a hertz donut? Well, it was bad advice when I was 5.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
3 years before my job was transferred due to BRAC, my wife and I purchased a house and we were encouraged to do so by my parents and her parents. This was right before the real estate market crashed. Our parents were convinced that either the portion of BRAC affecting us would be cancelled or I would find another job in the Quad Cities. Neither happened, and we moved to the Detroit metro 2 years ago. We were fortunate - we were able to sell the place well above the appraised value which had dropped sharply in just 3 years due to the market crash (the appraiser was stunned we got the offer we did as similar properties sold for thousands less) and we only had to write a $600 check to the bank to pay off the rest of the mortgage, but we lost all of the equity in the home. Because of this we are still living in an apartment instead of a house.

I don't blame my parents and I'm not mad at them nor was I ever, because the decision to buy was mine and my wife's, and we knew what might be happening in the future. It's just when you are used to getting quality advice from your parents and they encourage you to do something that ends up going so wrong, it just makes you question their advice later on.

I lost thousands on my first house. Just consider the months you lived there into the equation and suddenly it's kinda like really cheap rent.

Also, I wonder if we worked together. I worked in ECBC my last 3 years. Were you in TACOM?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Setting your broken nose doesn't hurt that bad. Same with dislocated fingers. It does in fact hurt that bad.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
"Oh yeah. You can definitely drink that whole bottle of Root Beer Schnapps tonight. You should actually bring a couple beers too."

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
You will have a really good time if you play beer pong with whiskey instead of beer.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
From my roommate at the time: You really should go out with my friend Neal, he's a great guy and he really likes you.

So the date: I met him at a decent, inexpensive chain restaurant. I offered on going dutch but he insisted on paying. This was the year 1983, so my portion of the bill was $3.89. While he was waiting for the waitress to return with his change, he announced that since he had paid, it was time to go back to his place (his mom's basement) and do it every which way. After I was able to speak, I told him that was ridiculous and I was going home. I started walking to a nearby subway stop through an alley behind the restaurant. He ran up behind me calling my name, and I thought maybe he was going to apologize or say he was just kidding. He threw me against a wall and tried to assault me. I screamed and kneed him where it counts and he grabbed my hair and punched me. Two very large men (I think they were the bouncers) came out of a nearby bar and saved me, beating the guy to a pulp. They hailed me a cab, gave the driver some cash, gave me a phone number to call when I was safely home.

My roommate wound up marrying the guy I set her up with, but I never really forgave her for Neal.

Also, for the record, I love The Big Bang Theory and laughed until I cried when Bob Newhart was on again last night.

I think you shared this story in another thread once, and it is still horrible. What a *********.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
~Circa 1999 HR "You should be putting as much of your paycheck as you can in to the 401k"