Friday OT - Worst Advice You've Ever Received

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
"Texas Roadhouse is great! You should go there for dinner tonight. There shouldn't be much of a wait."

"This show called 'Big Bang Theory' is hilarious! You would love it."

"That snowbank looks like a great place to sleep!"

"You should drink that entire liter of Jager tonight"

Wow, first person i've ever come across that doesn't think BBT is hilarious.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Wow, first person i've ever come across that doesn't think BBT is hilarious.

It's a pretty great show. Usually the people that don't think it is funny are the people that they they are "above" sit-com nerd humor, don't get the jokes, or it too accuratly reflects their lives.

I will say that it has been going down hill the last couple seasons though. It has probably about run its course. Seasons 1-5 are great though.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Coming out of high school I had multiple opportunities to run track at the D1 College level. My dad told me that I didn't want to take out any loans because I would fail in life if I had debt after college. Not knowing that majority of college students graduate with debt, I listened and stayed home for a semester going to CC and working to be able to pay for college. Granted I worked my butt off, graduated without any debt, but I also never got the opportunity to reach my full potential. I did walk on to the track team once I got to college, but a year of inactivity really killed my drive.

He also told me that credit cards were the devil...buying a car for the first time is fun with no credit.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
It's a pretty great show. Usually the people that don't think it is funny are the people that they they are "above" sit-com nerd humor, don't get the jokes, or it too accuratly reflects their lives.

I will say that it has been going down hill the last couple seasons though. It has probably about run its course. Seasons 1-5 are great though.

For me I just don't watch much TV, so watching the prototypical sitcom with the laugh track is kind of painful. Also, as I get older I find it harder to get in to things that don't have a story arc (some sort of plot and resolution, rather than a formula)--not saying I don't or haven't watched things like this, but I struggle to start a new one up.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
We haven't ate at Applebees in years. I bet it's a lot better.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
From my roommate at the time: You really should go out with my friend Neal, he's a great guy and he really likes you.

So the date: I met him at a decent, inexpensive chain restaurant. I offered on going dutch but he insisted on paying. This was the year 1983, so my portion of the bill was $3.89. While he was waiting for the waitress to return with his change, he announced that since he had paid, it was time to go back to his place (his mom's basement) and do it every which way. After I was able to speak, I told him that was ridiculous and I was going home. I started walking to a nearby subway stop through an alley behind the restaurant. He ran up behind me calling my name, and I thought maybe he was going to apologize or say he was just kidding. He threw me against a wall and tried to assault me. I screamed and kneed him where it counts and he grabbed my hair and punched me. Two very large men (I think they were the bouncers) came out of a nearby bar and saved me, beating the guy to a pulp. They hailed me a cab, gave the driver some cash, gave me a phone number to call when I was safely home.

My roommate wound up marrying the guy I set her up with, but I never really forgave her for Neal.

Also, for the record, I love The Big Bang Theory and laughed until I cried when Bob Newhart was on again last night.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I love the accusation that people who think Big Bang Theory sucks "don't get the jokes". Most of the people who love it have no idea what the scientific principles in the punch lines are, but they laugh anyways, because the laugh track tells them to.

I don't particularly enjoy shows that are a revolving set of punch lines, which is what Big Bang Theory is.

Currently airing comedy shows that I like:
-Parks & Rec
-It's Always Sunny
-The League
-South Park

Big Bang Theory is basically the same structure as 2.5 Men, but with nerds instead of Charlie Sheen. My disdain for the show really has nothing to do with the nerd aspect (Freaks & Geeks is great), and everything to do with unfunny/unclever writing that's basically a rehash of a million other shows, but dressed up to take advantage of the rising popularity of nerd culture. It's soul-less money grabbing at it's finest. And people eat that **** up.

Reactions: dcxme1183 and ISUME

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Mods, you can quash all the TBBT ****, right? Just because it's the off-topic forum doesn't mean the replies need to be off-topic as well.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
I love the accusation that people who think Big Bang Theory sucks "don't get the jokes". Most of the people who love it have no idea what the scientific principles in the punch lines are, but they laugh anyways, because the laugh track tells them to.

I don't particularly enjoy shows that are a revolving set of punch lines, which is what Big Bang Theory is.

Currently airing comedy shows that I like:
-Parks & Rec
-It's Always Sunny
-The League
-South Park

Big Bang Theory is basically the same structure as 2.5 Men, but with nerds instead of Charlie Sheen. My disdain for the show really has nothing to do with the nerd aspect (Freaks & Geeks is great), and everything to do with unfunny/unclever writing that's basically a rehash of a million other shows, but dressed up to take advantage of the rising popularity of nerd culture. It's soul-less money grabbing at it's finest. And people eat that **** up.

Comedy shows on CBS are an absolute groan-fest. The jokes on their shows are all the same with different character scenarios and heavy laugh-track usage (one with horny people, one with nerds, one with obese people, one with a recovering alcoholic). I like watching shows like (Modern Family, It's Always Sunny, etc.) where you get to laugh at what you think is funny, instead of a laugh track telling you its funny and you should laugh too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron