Friday OT - Worst Advice You've Ever Received

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
You don't lose until you take it out. If you would have have put $75k in a 401k in January of 1999 and not put in one more cent you would have $100k today and that's after the worst 2 crashes in the last 80 years.
Not to mention that if you had the means and the stones to continue contributing after the crash you'd be light years ahead by buying low.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Not to mention that if you had the means and the stones to continue contributing after the crash you'd be light years ahead by buying low.

True, and I didn't. I remember when Apple's stock price was like $90 in 2007, I was drooling wishing I had an extra 10,000 laying around.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
From my roommate at the time: You really should go out with my friend Neal, he's a great guy and he really likes you.

So the date: I met him at a decent, inexpensive chain restaurant. I offered on going dutch but he insisted on paying. This was the year 1983, so my portion of the bill was $3.89. While he was waiting for the waitress to return with his change, he announced that since he had paid, it was time to go back to his place (his mom's basement) and do it every which way. After I was able to speak, I told him that was ridiculous and I was going home. I started walking to a nearby subway stop through an alley behind the restaurant. He ran up behind me calling my name, and I thought maybe he was going to apologize or say he was just kidding. He threw me against a wall and tried to assault me. I screamed and kneed him where it counts and he grabbed my hair and punched me. Two very large men (I think they were the bouncers) came out of a nearby bar and saved me, beating the guy to a pulp. They hailed me a cab, gave the driver some cash, gave me a phone number to call when I was safely home.

My roommate wound up marrying the guy I set her up with, but I never really forgave her for Neal.

Also, for the record, I love The Big Bang Theory and laughed until I cried when Bob Newhart was on again last night.

So what you're saying is that you have to be a victim of assault to enjoy big bang theory?:jimlad:

Worst advice I got was for our wedding. We were having our reception in Ames but at the time lived in Chicago so we relied upon an event planner to do a lot of the legwork. We did everything on a pretty quick schedule so when we first met the planner I asked her if we should put out save the date's. She said based on our schedule we should've already had them out (the reception was still 6 months away) and that just wait to put out invites. I took her word for it. Big mistake as a lot of my family lived out of state and couldn't change plans or figure out travel. So a lot of people I would've liked to have been there weren't given much of an opportunity to get to the event and some took the late notice as us really not wanting them there.

In fact weddings in general could be considered bad advice, just get eloped and deal with your family's wrath afterwards. That way you don't have to deal with them trying to get the wedding they always wanted through you.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I lost thousands on my first house. Just consider the months you lived there into the equation and suddenly it's kinda like really cheap rent.

Also, I wonder if we worked together. I worked in ECBC my last 3 years. Were you in TACOM?

Yup. Still am.

Muzzy

Jan 24, 2009
Iowa
When I was looking at buying a new house, I was getting pressure to buy a nicer house that I didn't feel comfortable at the time. A guy I work with, who has a higher paying job than me, who i looked up to at the time, told me " you'll grow into your mortgage". I ended up buying somewhere in between.
The guy who gave me the advice declared for bankruptcy 2 years later.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
It's a pretty great show. Usually the people that don't think it is funny are the people that they they are "above" sit-com nerd humor, don't get the jokes, or it too accuratly reflects their lives.

I will say that it has been going down hill the last couple seasons though. It has probably about run its course. Seasons 1-5 are great though.

[video=youtube;PmLQaTcViOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA[/video]

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
[video=youtube;PmLQaTcViOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA[/video]

Your point? I laughed. Just because a 30 second clip doesn't have a laugh track doesn't mean that the scene isn't funny when you take into consideration the plot leading up to it.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Spell words they way they sound - got that gem from a teacher early on in life. Needless to say that's not the best advice with the english language.

So I still suck at spelling to this day.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It's a pretty great show. Usually the people that don't think it is funny are the people that they they are "above" sit-com nerd humor, don't get the jokes, or it too accuratly reflects their lives.

I will say that it has been going down hill the last couple seasons though. It has probably about run its course. Seasons 1-5 are great though.

I even watch it and don't think it's funny. The blondes hot tho.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Love the Texas Roadhouse post.

Rugrats running wild, ****kicking music cranked to 1000 decibels, what's not to like?

Last edited by a moderator: