Perspective

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Jim Walden 1 winning season in 8 years.- sucked to attend Iowa State at this time for football - thank God we still had Johnny

Dan McCarney 5 winning seasons out of 11, a few high years and notables such as a Heismen nominee

Chizik - enough said

CPR - 3 bowl berths in five seasons, some major upsets....

This year is hard to swallow, but give the man a break. This team is very young, has a lot of injury issues, was screwed out of a game, and there is some high talent on the way.

Reactions: pourcyne

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Honestly its nothing more than entertainment. We've all been to really good movies and to really crappy movies. Every once in a while we'll walk out, but we always go back to the movies. We're watching a crappy movie now.

AND there is always room for jello.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Plus our first four conf foes are something like 12-1 right? That didnt set us up too well.
That said, i still think Mess MUST go. We need a different kind of offensive mind in Ames.

Edit- forgot tech lost a close one last night in norman. So our opponents have a combined 2 losses.

Last edited:

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Well put. The hyperventilating people need to take a hit off the brown bag and calm down. Rhoads gets a pass on this season for having so much turnover and doing in his first four years what NOBODY in school history had done in their first four. If this slide continues next season, then we talk about a replacement. Mess? A whole other story.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Plus our first four conf foes are something like 12-1 right? That didnt set us up too well.
That said, i still think Mess MUST go. We need a different kind of offensive mind in Ames.

Edit- forgot tech lost a close one last night in norman. So our opponents have a combined 2 losses.

Thank you for posting this. I was going to as well. We beat UT, who has gone on to beat everybody else they've played. We played poorly against TT, but we were in that game to the end. No, we're not great. Yes, this season hurts. We need some sound strategy related to offense, which we don't have. That, in itself, could have made all the difference in the first half of this season. We need an OC capable of planning and adjusting in-game.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Another way to put it is....we have played no one in the bottom half of the conference yet. I just hope we have enough juice left to take advantage.

Last edited:

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Without trying to be overly dramatic, I lost my brother a few weeks ago. He was a huge Cyclone fan like me. That has sure given me perspective.

Reactions: Rick

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Without trying to be overly dramatic, I lost my brother a few weeks ago. He was a huge Cyclone fan like me. That has sure given me perspective.

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad Fred gave him a couple of tournament wins to enjoy the last two seasons. I wish we could have given him a bowl win too.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Jim Walden 1 winning season in 8 years.- sucked to attend Iowa State at this time for football - thank God we still had Johnny

Dan McCarney 5 winning seasons out of 11, a few high years and notables such as a Heismen nominee

Chizik - enough said

This year is hard to swallow, but give the man a break. This team is very young, has a lot of injury issues, was screwed out of a game, and there is some high talent on the way.

You do realize that Paul Rhoads only has 1 year out of 5 with a winning record. He's on track to being the next Walden. Maybe someone needs to point that out so he wakes up and fires Courtney

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
You do realize that Paul Rhoads only has 1 year out of 5 with a winning record. He's on track to being the next Walden. Maybe someone needs to point that out so he wakes up and fires Courtney

Was just going to post this.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Rhoads and Walden are basically the same. One has a 0.33523 win percentage and the other has 0.47059. Pretty much the same.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines

CPR has done things Walden could never do though. Thats a definite difference. Beating a ranked team on the road every year (that streak will likely end this year), winning in Lincoln, winning in Austin, beating the #2 team, winning a bowl game. Etc.

I completely agree about Courtney though.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Another way to put it is....we have played no one in the bottom half of the conference yet. I just hope we have enough juice left to take advantage.
If it was just juice, we could have sent some to them from amazon. They need an OC.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
When I saw the thread title this came to mind.

[video=youtube;4gjT9ujNOm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjT9ujNOm0[/video]

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
CPR has done things Walden could never do though. Thats a definite difference. Beating a ranked team on the road every year (that streak will likely end this year), winning in Lincoln, winning in Austin, beating the #2 team, winning a bowl game. Etc.

Those are pretty important pieces of context. Really, that's why this year is so frustrating. We're used to seeing hopeful things instead of this.

Now, if he goes and gets an OC that's just tearing things up, I think that changes more opinions than not.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines

Like this thread said, its all about perspective.....Beating Nebraska was an accomplishment, but the Nebraska teams that the Walden teams did were the class of the Big 8 compared to where Nebraska is now as a program...They also didnt have to worry about winning in Austin, as they never played Texas from 1979-1998.....

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX

Chizik - enough said

Ok, I'm with you on the major upsets.
But when you list how many winning seasons each coach has had and then don't mention CPRs # you are twisting things to make yourself feel better.

So drum roll please.........
CPR # of winning seasons 1 in 5 years.

It is what it is

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Ok, I'm with you on the major upsets.
But when you list how many winning seasons each coach has had and then don't mention CPRs # you are twisting things to make yourself feel better.

So drum roll please.........
CPR # of winning seasons 1 in 5 years.

It is what it is

Your right, two 6-6 seasons that ended with a bowl game loss are losing seasons, technically. To me, 6-6 in the Big 12 with a bowl game is a good accomplishment for ISU.

But, if anyone thinks that what we have experienced under Rhoads is anything like Walden, they should look at Walden's record.

3/5 years - bowl game

8 years - no bowl game

Walden's record
1987Iowa State3–82–56th
1988Iowa State5–63–45th
1989Iowa State6–54–34th
1990Iowa State4–6–12–4–1T–4th
1991Iowa State3–7–11–5–16th
1992Iowa State4–72–5T–6th
1993Iowa State3–82–5T–6th
1994Iowa State0–10–10–6–1T–7th

Latest posts