Blum: Past and present

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
the only thing that concerns me is the "Past performance is no guarentee of futur results."

winning the Okie St games and @ Nebraska and @ Texas Tech.........those are in the past and CPR has to figure out how to get results going forward. Let's face it, Klein and Knott are not walking threw those doors. K.O. is not going to bust through the door and play O-Line again. For the first time in a long time, ISU has quality skill position players - however the lines are about as bad as they have been in 25 years. The game is still won in the trenches even with these high flying offenses.

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
This team is now where near the crap we put on the field in the mid to late 80's. Most of you have no idea what it was like sitting thru pundings (and I meand poundings) of Neb, OK, Ok State, Iowa year after year. Not to mention getting beat by the lower half of the rest of the Big8. The only saving grace to going to the games was you could bring containers in with you. Hell, we lost to Drake at home the last year they were a D-1 progam. What I saw Sat night reminded me of those teams. I just hope in was a single game let down and we get back after it this week.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I hope Steve is real. 'Merica. I bet he pays his employees with drink tickets and Trident Layers gum.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
The o-line is bad but I'm still of the opinion the d-line is somewhat solid, we just haven't seen it for the last couple weeks due to the quality of the opponent.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I'll have a gallon of what Blum is sipping.

I'm sorry, but something has to be done on offense. Accountability has to happen. Mess has got to go.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This team is now where near the crap we put on the field in the mid to late 80's. Most of you have no idea what it was like sitting thru pundings (and I meand poundings) of Neb, OK, Ok State, Iowa year after year. Not to mention getting beat by the lower half of the rest of the Big8. The only saving grace to going to the games was you could bring containers in with you. Hell, we lost to Drake at home the last year they were a D-1 progam. What I saw Sat night reminded me of those teams. I just hope in was a single game let down and we get back after it this week.

It was not a let down. We were trying. We were just outrun, out talented, out blocked, out coached across the board.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
This was a great read, but depressing at the same time. I didn't realize we'd only won one Big 12 game since the OSU game two years ago.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
The o-line is bad but I'm still of the opinion the d-line is somewhat solid, we just haven't seen it for the last couple weeks due to the quality of the opponent.
This is a problem given that they keep score in these games.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'll have a gallon of what Blum is sipping.

I'm sorry, but something has to be done on offense. Accountability has to happen. Mess has got to go.

I actually had to laugh when Paul Rhoads was telling how good and experienced that Corey Messingham was as Off Coordinator.

The only problem I have with that premise, is that the product on the field aka the offense doesn't say that thee MESS is even an average Offensive Coordinator IMHO.

114 yards with 4 minutes remaining in the game says that either thee mess is a bad coordinator or that our recruiting is really bad, getting beat is one thing, but to let a Baylor team beat you by 64 points is Unacceptable, regardless who is the head coach and offensive coordinator.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I really don't see the message you were trying to get at here Blum.

Cliff notes: The Oklahoma State win two years ago feels a long time ago. Losing by 64 is not fun. Just because you are in year five doesn't guarantee success. I'm confident in Rhoads to keep his program moving ahead by doing whatever is needed to be done. Drink tickets are good.

And yes, maybe I am drunk on kool-aid. Thanks all for reading.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
The "signature wins" the program has experienced seem pretty far away at this point and have more a "fluky" feel to them, when you are 2+ years removed and staring down the barrel of a 1-win or 2-win season.

You're absolutely right about never being too far away from a fall of the mountain. In fact, it feels like the program is that poor ski-jumper tumbling headlong down the mountain side from the old "Wide World of Sports."

I was hoping at this point of the regime that we would have a base, a foundation to build the future on. This season is casting doubt on that from a variety of angles. Just how solid is this foundation? I guess I'm not sure anymore. At the beginning of the season, I would have said pretty darn good. Baylor makes you stop and question whether you have a base, whether the staff has the chops and whether the players have enough ability.

I want to believe, I really do. Prior to UNI, I was a believer. At this point, I'm eyeing Lucy and thinking, "That witch is gonna pull it." So, I'm back to putting my cup on, for the nut shots. I cannot help it. I'm back to being a skeptic again, and that's a shame.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I'm gonna be honest, I cannot really stomach the articles you and Williams have been putting out lately. Maybe as pro-ISU commentators its your job to pull punches and polish turds. Maybe you like the coaches and don't want to write critical things about them. Maybe you're worried that you'll lose access to the team (which I'm sure is important to the business of the site).

That said, I don't think you're doing ISU football any favors by drinking Kool aid and propagating an "in Rhoads we trust" echo chamber. You two are beginning to remind me of Iraqi press minister from the second Gulf war: declaring victories while US troops are marching into Bagdad.

Cliff notes: The Oklahoma State win two years ago feels a long time ago. Losing by 64 is not fun. Just because you are in year five doesn't guarantee success. I'm confident in Rhoads to keep his program moving ahead by doing whatever is needed to be done. Drink tickets are good.

And yes, maybe I am drunk on kool-aid. Thanks all for reading.

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
Alot of the meltdown on here is coming from the fact we got smoked by Baylor, a program that until 4 or 5 years ago, Iowa State was actually ahead of. We look at our brand new facilities, fan support, good head coach, etc and wonder how a loss like this could happen. In my mind it boils down to one simple fact. Recruiting. We're by far the Northern most school in a predominantly Southern conference. We recruit primarily players from warm climates to come and play in the cold of Iowa. That's a tough sell. Baylor on the other hand is relatively close to home for most of these guys, is a Baptist school (big points in the minds of recruits parents) and oh yeah, just had the most popular player in their history win the Heisman Trophy and get talked about ad nauseum on Sportscenter. Throw into that mix Baylor finally getting a good coach in Art Briles and the recruiting advantage even a school like Baylor has over ISU is staggering. (I still don't see how they can get over that dry county hurdle though.....)

Yes, that was a bad bad loss but I look at it more that Baylor is at the apex in their program's history and not so much that the wheels have come off at ISU. We have taken a step back, but we competed with and could have beaten Texas and Texas Tech this year. The loss itself to Baylor is not surprising but I think the magnitude of it was a bit of an aberration.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I don't believe this too be true. For many of us this has been a long slow meltdown based almost wholly on systematic offensive failure. For me, it began with Tom Herman's ineptitude and has grown exponentially worse in the Messingham era.

Baylor is but a slightly bigger pot hole on this terrible road.

(This is in response to CEO's post)

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny

Maybe this has left me jaded but I was there Duncan's first year and it was painful to be a fan in the 80's. We had a little success in the late 90's and some in 2000 on but my memory can go quickly back to losing by 6-7 touchdowns week after week. Rhoads may not be lighting it up but this loss is one of few instead of the norm. We got outclassed and after two hard fought games had let down. I trust Rhoads to bring them back soon.