This is what happens when

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
you fill up your recruiting classes with guys that have no other BCS offers. Iowa sucks and they are pounding us on both sides of the line.

CyZinger

Aug 13, 2013
We're nowhere close to Big 12 talent, but you'd think we have more than FCS teams. There are some FCS teams with less talent that could have beat the Hawks tonight.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
I don't get it. Why does Rhoads recruit bad players? When he scouts players is he purposely picking the bad ones? I don't understand how it's possible to be as ****** at football as our players our.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I don't think that anyone was expecting our O to be this lethargic. The D has kept these teams to under 30 points... that should be plenty to win against UNI and Iowa, especially considering how our O is playing.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I htink having our starting center injured in both games has really hurt our O-line. Sam and the receivers have had little opportunity to get in any semblance of rhythm.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
I htink having our starting center injured in both games has really hurt our O-line. Sam and the receivers have had little opportunity to get in any semblance of rhythm.

It's year 5. It should be next man in. Why does Rhoads build no depth? Does he think his players won't get hurt?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If we have talented players we should put them into the game.

Can't blame messinghams poor play calling for all of this.

Ugly football program

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
B got a ball throw his way, made a guy miss and took it to the house. It's not talent it's play calling...

CYLICE

Jun 14, 2013
Polk City
simmer acgsclone.... We have played out of our a** with two star recruits for the last five years solely because of one man, CPR... he is slowly getting legit recruits and we will contend with a big 12 title some day if we can hold on to CPR. We r the red headed step child of the big 12 we will never have 4 and 5 star recruits lining up at our door. We gotta out coach and out play our opponents each week. We need to clean the closet out (coach mess) before we get there... It will happen gotta have patience

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
B got a ball throw his way, made a guy miss and took it to the house. It's not talent it's play calling...

I don't know if I agree that pointing to one long play, where they missed a tackle means we have talented players.

Iowa is not exactly loaded with talent, although I must admit that Kirk has put a lot of players into the league.

However, when I look at their position groups versus ours, I don't see a lot of Cyclone wins.

DL: Iowa by a long shot
LB: Iowa by a long shot (last year we had a better group, but that was our best ever)
Secondary: Push, possibly advantage Iowa
Punter: ISU
Kicker: Iowa
QB: Iowa
RB's: Iowa
OL: Iowa by a long shot
TE: Push
WR: Push

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I don't know if I agree that pointing to one long play, where they missed a tackle means we have talented players.

Iowa is not exactly loaded with talent, although I must admit that Kirk has put a lot of players into the league.

However, when I look at their position groups versus ours, I don't see a lot of Cyclone wins.

DL: Iowa by a long shot
LB: Iowa by a long shot (last year we had a better group, but that was our best ever)
Secondary: Push, possibly advantage Iowa
Punter: ISU
Kicker: Iowa
QB: Iowa
RB's: Iowa
OL: Iowa by a long shot
TE: Push
WR: Push

Better because of talent or experience or coaching? They have an experienced D line this year (was not last year) and start three senior LBs. Their O line is always solid.

Our DBs looked bad tonight because they had to give a big cushion - no safety help because we were selling out to stop the run. Their WR are no better than ours. Cannot compare QB off this game - Sam is hurt.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
simmer acgsclone.... We have played out of our a** with two star recruits for the last five years solely because of one man, CPR... he is slowly getting legit recruits and we will contend with a big 12 title some day if we can hold on to CPR. We r the red headed step child of the big 12 we will never have 4 and 5 star recruits lining up at our door. We gotta out coach and out play our opponents each week. We need to clean the closet out (coach mess) before we get there... It will happen gotta have patience

Man, I really want to believe this, but facts are facts. We consistently finish in the bottom 1/4 of the conference in recruiting rankings (pretty much since they started tracking such things). It's no surprise that's where we usually end up in the standings as well.

I don't know if it's lack of talent or poor schemes/coaching, but I haven't seen so many guys look so completely lost on offense in one game in a long time. Sam throwing one direction, WR turning the other.... WR not breaking off routes on obvious blitzes...... OL not knowing who to block in space on the 4th and 4 bubble screen..... just so many examples. Like I said, players or coaches?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Man, I really want to believe this, but facts are facts. We consistently finish in the bottom 1/4 of the conference in recruiting rankings (pretty much since they started tracking such things). It's no surprise that's where we usually end up in the standings as well.

I don't know if it's lack of talent or poor schemes/coaching, but I haven't seen so many guys look so completely lost on offense in one game in a long time. Sam throwing one direction, WR turning the other.... WR not breaking off routes on obvious blitzes...... OL not knowing who to block in space on the 4th and 4 bubble screen..... just so many examples. Like I said, players or coaches?
Bottom 1/4th? I'm pretty sure we have finished last pretty much every year under Rhoads.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

We always will finish last in recruiting. That is just reality. Our only choice is to look for diamonds in the rough and coaching them up. Unless you want us to be dirty, it just isn't going to change that much.

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
Completely undersized on D. We have better playmakers than we have ever had but the problem is so does everyone else.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron