Number 42

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
I'll first disclose that I've hated the Yankees all of my life.

I haven't enjoyed having my social media feeds blown up about how great and classy Mariano Rivera is all night. Here are a couple of things you may not know about him:

1. He doesn't care for the song "Enter Sandman" it was just selected by Yankee's staff in an attempt to copy other teams that had cool entrance music for their closers.

2. If he was SOOO classy, he would have changed his number in 1997 and retired Jackie's 42 with the rest of the league.
I KNOW he didn't HAVE to do it based on the rules, and he wasn't the only player that kept 42. But isn't changing your number the right thing to do in that situation? It just doesn't scream class to me.

He's a great closer, that's about it. Enter Sandman is Virgina Tech's entrance song, not his.

End of rant.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
553272_549818008373826_132650669_n.jpg

You mad bro?

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

That disclosure was probably not really required as your rant pretty much gave that away. Even most dedicated Yank haters like Rivera. You are in a very special and exclusive hatred class.
:no:

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
The correct answer is "What is the answer to life, the universe and everything, Alex?"

Hmmmm, it has been awhile but I actually thought it was the answer to the question "What is 6 x 9?" Which will lead you to the answer to the question about life the universe and everything.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I haven't enjoyed having my social media feeds blown up about how great and classy Mariano Rivera is all night. Here are a couple of things you may not know about him:

1. He doesn't care for the song "Enter Sandman" it was just selected by Yankee's staff in an attempt to copy other teams that had cool entrance music for their closers.

2. If he was SOOO classy, he would have changed his number in 1997 and retired Jackie's 42 with the rest of the league.
I KNOW he didn't HAVE to do it based on the rules, and he wasn't the only player that kept 42. But isn't changing your number the right thing to do in that situation? It just doesn't scream class to me.

3. He's the reason my mom left us at home with just our alcoholic dad. She ran off when she heard he was going to be in Chicago.

He's a great closer, that's about it. Enter Sandman is Virgina Tech's entrance song, not his.

End of rant.

Apparently you forgot to add in the bold one above...sheesh, lay off the hate, man.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
He contacted Rachel Robinson directly and asked for permission to honor Jackie by wearing 42 for the rest of his career. A move in my opinion that was more classy than switching numbers. (I also hate the Yankees.)

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
He contacted Rachel Robinson directly and asked for permission to honor Jackie by wearing 42 for the rest of his career. A move in my opinion that was more classy than switching numbers. (I also hate the Yankees.)

That seems arrogant to me. Unless he's breaking color barriers, I don't think he's on Jackie Robinsons level.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
Getting joy out of an injury.....good work. Bet your mom is proud.

This is the 2nd post about my parents in this thread. Uh, great comebacks guys - I used similar ones in 3rd grade. I bet you guys stay up all night watching "Yo Momma" with Wilmer Valderrama and jot down material.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Don't see how anyone can hate Rivera. A very classy individual. He has played the game the right way and no closer will be better. Rachael Robinson said that it was an honor for Rivera to be the last player wearing 42.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

End of rant.
The Yankees started using "Enter Sandman" long before the Hokies did. The only other cool one that existed that I can remember back then was Trevor Hoffman with "Hells Bells."

But hey, good job, good effort.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
Let's focus on the important issue, please. How can anybody not care for "Enter Sandman"?

Right?
:jimlad:

To OP: If you came to an internet forum looking for support on this one, I think you need to reconsider a few life choices that brought you to this point.

Like most things in life, like the NBA or the Hawks for me personally, if they make you mad JUST IGNORE THEM. Also don't bring them up in public, you just make yourself more mad. Bro.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron