Friday OT #3 - Commercials

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I'm drawn towards commercials that have good writing. My personal favorite plays in early spring for Kingsford when the guy wanders into a backyard cookout in flannel pj's and a parka. "It was so white...and cold..."
"Get this man a burger!"

Hate commercials that make you feel embarassed or uncomfortable, or one's that you say "What the heck are they selling?"

The Allstate commercial I like is the couple discussing her driving habits, and she then takes on Dennis Haysbert's voice. "Silence!"

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The Mayhem commercials are great. I also like the ones with the guy at the table with the kids. I don't even know what they are selling.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
As I was watching TV last night I noticed an ad for a fast food burger, a Kit Kat, and some chips all had loud crunches when the person bit the item. I've never had a burger crunch so loud it overpowers the music. Also, Kit Kats never crunch for me, either. After the second commercial I wanted to punch something.

What are you annoying ad cliches?

What's worse for me are the Hardees adds where they drop the thickburger and it makes a squishing sound.

The combination of the sight of that grease bomb and the squishing sound make me want to yack.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I had a teacher in High School whose brother filmed and photographed food commercials and adds. Had lots of cool tricks to make fast food look edible. Would put small pieces of cardboard between sandwich components to make them look bigger.

You know who needs to work on making food in their commercials look edible? Fareway. It looks like their adds are from 1970 with the original food from that year.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Little kids at the round table discussion ones, not even sure what they are for. Also the big 12 basket pong ones.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My husband marvels at my ability to tune out commercials, yet I have to mute nearly every sporting event because I can't stand the announcers and somehow can't tune them out. Right now I have the French Open on mute.

I love the commercials with Kevin Durant having to change the bulb and clean the gutters, as well as the guy with all of the little kids talking, and yet I pay so little attention to the message, I have no idea what they are advertising.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Little kids at the round table discussion ones, not even sure what they are for. Also the big 12 basket pong ones.

Those are the best ones on TV and they're for AT&T. This is my favorite one:

[video=youtube;CaQ5AZgwEfE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaQ5AZgwEfE[/video]

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
That stupid US Cellular ad where the dad is jumping up and down on the trampoline to get a better signal. Makes me cringe every time I see it, which seems to be, every time I turn on the TV.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Any commercial where the product is so terrific it makes whole groups of people break into highly choreographed dancing.

Hey, your product may be good, but nobody's going to get so excited by it that they start dancing with all the random people walking down the street.

Once you start noticing you'll be amazed at how many people dance in commercials.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
This is a radio one, but the jingle from 1-877-kars-4-kids. Not sure if it is national, but in Chicago it drove me insane.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
The Mayhem commercials are great. I also like the ones with the guy at the table with the kids. I don't even know what they are selling.

Yes you are correct on both the Mayhem commercials are awesome. I don't get why anyone wouldn't like them I went as Mayhem one year for Halloween everyone loved the costume. Also the AT&T commercials with the kids are hilarious "what about infinity times infinity?" Mind blown.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yes you are correct on both the Mayhem commercials are awesome. I don't get why anyone wouldn't like them I went as Mayhem one year for Halloween everyone loved the costume. Also the AT&T commercials with the kids are hilarious "what about infinity times infinity?" Mind blown.

I don't like them because that guy is a TERRIBLE actor. See: SVU, 30 Rock, and Sex and the City. He was just absolutely terrible in all of them. He's still just a guy who seems like he's not very intelligent, and doesn't really accomplish making me come out of watching those commercials feeling... anything.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't like them because that guy is a TERRIBLE actor. See: SVU, 30 Rock, and Sex and the City. He was just absolutely terrible in all of them. He's still just a guy who seems like he's not very intelligent, and doesn't really accomplish making me come out of watching those commercials feeling... anything.

Maybe that's why he's doing commercials now.

I think his delivery in the commercials and the writing of the commercials is pretty good.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Can we agree State Farm has the best group of people making their commercials? Discount Double Check, Hot Tub, Old Man, Chris/Cliff Paul, Jake From State Farm,

have they had a commercial that hasn't been popular yet?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Can we agree State Farm has the best group of people making their commercials? Discount Double Check, Hot Tub, Old Man, Chris/Cliff Paul, Jake From State Farm,

have they had a commercial that hasn't been popular yet?
I forgot about the Cliff Paul one, that's a good commercial.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Any commercial where the product is so terrific it makes whole groups of people break into highly choreographed dancing.
Once you start noticing you'll be amazed at how many people dance in commercials.

This x 10. I know your snack crisps are low-cal but does that mean the dorky guy needs to jump on the board room table and start dancing? Oh, and every "low-cal" snack is eaten by women are who are fantastically in-shape with flawless skin. Your 100 Calorie pack will make me skip down the street as I pass the doughnut, ice cream, and candy shop?
The gecko flubs/out takes is pretty lame.

I've never looked up insurance companies based on commercials. Not once. But I know who to not look up based on commercials. Allstate (every "young" person is a hipster in their ads), Geico (annoying), and Century 21 (such a dumb concept)

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Hey, your product may be good, but nobody's going to get so excited by it that they start dancing with all the random people walking down the street.

Like the Dr. Pepper ads that turn into broadway dance productions.