Too early to talk MLB?

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Dodgers? :no: My D-Backs won the division last year and should be healthy, the rookies have a year under their belts, and with Dan Haren added to the rotation the D-Backs have the best pair of pitchers at the top of their rotation in the National League.

It's fair for people not to completely be on the D-Back bandwagon. They're out of this world young on offense, and they gave up more runs last year than they scored -- not many playoff teams can say that. That's not a recipe for sustained success. They do have a very good rotation, which will keep them competitive for sure. You just don't know what you're getting from the everyday lineup.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
I read it on a message board somewhere. I don't know if it has much merit. For the Twins fans out there, isn't it true that there's a good possibility of Nathan being moved?

You're right though, it would be a huge get for the Cubs. Brian Roberts would be very good for them too. It would allow them to move Soriano down in the lineup where he can be a more productive player for thtem.

I think it's just message board fodder. I read all of the different website journalist blogs, as well as the Cubs' site info, and I've never seen his name mentioned in discussions. However, I have heard that he'd be a person the Twins might have to trade as well. And if so, I'd love the Cubs to go and try to get him. We'll see.

Soriano would not move down, i don't think. From what Piniella says and what I've heard, Soriano loves leading off the game, and he's a rare power hitter that can get extra bases. I think Roberts would be a great #2 for the Cubs to follow Soriano, be that lefty bat, and be the mr. everything for the Cubs: move Soriano along, create a big inning for Lee, Ramirez, Foku, etc, and create more speed at the top of the lineup. We'll see though.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Soriano would not move down, i don't think.

I know Lou likes him in the leadoff spot, and I think it is a monumental waste. Home runs are much better when there is someone on base. There is rarely someone on base in the NL for the leadoff hitter.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Dodgers? :no: My D-Backs won the division last year and should be healthy, the rookies have a year under their belts, and with Dan Haren added to the rotation the D-Backs have the best pair of pitchers at the top of their rotation in the National League.

The Dodgers have the best/deepest rotation and bullpen. Arizona has the best 1-2 punch at the top of their rotation, but the Dodgers are deeper. The questions for the D-Backs will be, can they consistantly score runs and who is going to close games for you since Valverde is gone? Lyon? He's a good setup guy but I don't know that he's a closer. Also, you better hope the rookies don't have a sophmore slump, which some will. Meanwhile, the Dodgers upgraded CF with the addition of Andruw Jones, added pitching depth with Hiroki Kuroda, and upgraded managers from Grady Little to Joe Torre. And this is the team that led the division the entire year up until the beginning of August.

That all said, the D-Backs, Rockies, and Dodgers will all be very evenly matched, but I see the Dodgers pitching depth being the reason they win the division. Either way, it should be a fun year to watch the NL West (the most competitive division in baseball IMO).

Last edited:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
He only is guaranteed to leadoff ONE time per game :)

Which scenario would provide more RBI opportunities for Soriano? Brian Roberts hitting in front of him or Ted Lilly?

I love Lou Piniella, but I really disagree with the idea of leading off Soriano if you have a valid alternative.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Assumed Mets starting lineup and rotation:
1B - Carlos Delgado
2B - Luis Castillo
SS - Jose Reyes
3B - David Wright
LF - Moises Alou
CF - Carlos Beltran
RF - Ryan Church
C - Brian Schneider
Rotation - Johan Santana, Pedro Martinez, Orlando Hernandez, Oliver Perez, John Maine
Closer - Billy Wagner

Phillies:
1B - Ryan Howard
2B - Chase Utley
SS - Jimmy Rollins
3B - Pedro Feliz
LF - Pat Burrell
CF - Shane Victorino
RF - Geoff Jenkins
Rotation - Cole Hamels, Brett Myers, Kyle Kendrick, Jamie Moyer, Adam Eaton
Closer - Brad Lidge

I guess I fail to see how the Mets don't win the East big...

how bout this braves lineup?

Atlanta Braves

1b~ Mark Texiera .317 avg 32 hr
2b~ Kelly Johnson .276 avg .375 obp
ss~ yunel escobar .326 avg .385 obp
3b~ chipper jones .337 avg 29 hr
lf~ matt diaz .338 avg 12 hr platoon
cf~ mark kotsay .282 avg .337 obp career avgs
rf~ jeff francouer .293 avg 19 hr
c~briann mccann .270 avg 18 hr

rotation~ j.smoltz, t.hudson, t.glavine,m.hampton,c.james
closer~ r.soriano

with texiera in the middle of the lineup, teams wont be able to pitch around chipper this year to go after andruw. add in the fact that both mark and chipper are switch hitters, and you have a very solid lineup from top to bottom. with bobby cox at the helm once again, there is no reason this team cant win the division adn contend for a world series title!!:yes:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
how bout this braves lineup?

Atlanta Braves

1b~ Mark Texiera .317 avg 32 hr
2b~ Kelly Johnson .276 avg .375 obp
ss~ yunel escobar .326 avg .385 obp
3b~ chipper jones .337 avg 29 hr
lf~ matt diaz .338 avg 12 hr platoon
cf~ mark kotsay .282 avg .337 obp career avgs
rf~ jeff francouer .293 avg 19 hr
c~briann mccann .270 avg 18 hr

rotation~ j.smoltz, t.hudson, t.glavine,m.hampton,c.james
closer~ r.soriano

with texiera in the middle of the lineup, teams wont be able to pitch around chipper this year to go after andruw. add in the fact that both mark and chipper are switch hitters, and you have a very solid lineup from top to bottom. with bobby cox at the helm once again, there is no reason this team cant win the division adn contend for a world series title!!:yes:

To me your lineup looks like the core is an older version of what they had in the late '90s and early '00s (and although they won all those division titles, how many championships did it net them?) with very little experience around it. The addition of Texiera did very little to help the Braves late last season, Smoltz and Glavine are past their prime. While there might be some optimism in Atlanta about this team, I just don't see it this year.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Which scenario would provide more RBI opportunities for Soriano? Brian Roberts hitting in front of him or Ted Lilly?

I love Lou Piniella, but I really disagree with the idea of leading off Soriano if you have a valid alternative.

I knew what you meant - that's why I smiled; being very sarcastic. However, I have no problem with him at that spot. Just my opinion...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There is quite the possibility that Nathan is going to get moved, but it'll be towards the trade deadline if:
1. the Twins are out of it (and that's likely)
2. they can't resign him for a reasonable price
3. the can get good value out of trading him.

Being that Nathan's one of the top 5 closers in the game, he's not going to come cheap, so if the Twins are looking to retool for 2010, the year they open their new stadium, yeah, it looks like Nathan could get moved.

To clarify, I think only two of any of those three scenarios I listed have to come true in order for the Twins to move Nathan. If the Twins are out of it and they can get a lot in return for him (regardless of whether they can resign him or not), they'll trade him. If they're out of it and can't resign him for a reasonable amount, they'll try to get what they can for him on the market. Conversely, if the Twins are in the mix for a postseason birth, and they know they can't resign him in the offseason but they can trade him for a package of players that will fill immediate holes in the lineup, you will see him moved in that scenario as well.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
To me your lineup looks like the core is an older version of what they had in the late '90s and early '00s (and although they won all those division titles, how many championships did it net them?) with very little experience around it. The addition of Texiera did very little to help the Braves late last season, Smoltz and Glavine are past their prime. While there might be some optimism in Atlanta about this team, I just don't see it this year.

seriously? the only players in that lineup over 30 are chipper and kotsay:confused: compare that with the mets..im counting 5, 30+ plus players with a couple of them pushin 40:wink:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
seriously? the only players in that lineup over 30 are chipper and kotsay:confused: compare that with the mets..im counting 5, 30+ plus players with a couple of them pushin 40:wink:

I don't think the problem with the Braves is their lineup at all, nor do I think it is John Smoltz (who has to start declining sometime, though) or Tim Hudson. My problem with the Bravos lies with Mike Hampton and their middle relief. Rafael Soriano is pure filth, though.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Umm... Have you looked at your pitching staff? Smoltz's, Glavine's Hampton's, and Hudson's rookie seasons weren't exactly 5 years ago. Chipper Jones ain't exactly a young one, either. Francoeur intrigues me - last year was the first year he actually put any kind of numbers up. Was that an anomaly, or has he finally learned how to be productive in the Major League batting box? One season of good (but not great) numbers won't exactly convince me.

I will admit, Texiera, Escobar, and McCann are all interesting pieces.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think the problem with the Braves is their lineup at all, nor do I think it is John Smoltz (who has to start declining sometime, though) or Tim Hudson. My problem with the Bravos lies with Mike Hampton and their middle relief. Rafael Soriano is pure filth, though.

the braves will be sending 8 or 9 legitimate 4th or 5th starters to spring training, so if mike cant throw, they have the depth this year to overcome his loss. as far as the bullpen goes, peter moylan was in the top 5 last year as far as the numbers go for relief pitchers..add in the fact that mike gonzalez should come back and b ready to go in early june, and i feel that the bullpen is solid!! and if he or peter cant get the job done, we always have will ohman:skeptical:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

The only team that has worse middle relief then the Braves is the Mets who might have the worst in baseball...

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
i noticed that the yankees play the university of south florida and virginia tech before spring training... is that normal?

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Umm... Have you looked at your pitching staff? Smoltz's, Glavine's Hampton's, and Hudson's rookie seasons weren't exactly 5 years ago. Chipper Jones ain't exactly a young one, either. Francoeur intrigues me - last year was the first year he actually put any kind of numbers up. Was that an anomaly, or has he finally learned how to be productive in the Major League batting box? One season of good (but not great) numbers won't exactly convince me.

I will admit, Texiera, Escobar, and McCann are all interesting pieces.

but with that logic, dont you have to look at pedro, el duque (who prolly is really 45) and billy wagner who seems to b on the decline. dont you?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
mwitt;344753and it appears they don't have a definite answer as a bridge to get the ball to Billy Wagner. [/quote said:
Good observations here, but just wanted to point out that the Mets get Duaner Sanchez back this year after his freak accident, and I think he was really missed last year.