Too early to talk MLB?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
As I said - A STEAL :smile: But after the Feliz trade, the Giants are looking for something the resembles a bat, and who knows if the White Sox wouldn't be adding a minor leaguer or something in there. I think Lowry would be a good bottom of the rotation guy for the White Sox.

The thing is -- is Lowry a good bet to be THAT much better than Gavin Floyd? Lowry is a contact pitcher -- he doesn't strike anyone out. Is that a good fit in US Cellular Field? And yes, I know Buehrle is that type of pitcher. But let's not confuse Noah Lowry for Mark Buehrle.

And then you have the issue of what to do with Floyd -- he's out of options, he can't go to the minors. The White Sox could work a package with any combination of Crede/MacDougal/Anderson/Masset and they could include Floyd if they're getting a starter in return. At this point, getting a starter or settling for prospects is about the only logical fit.

The fact is Joe Crede doesn't have that high of value right now. I love Joe Crede, I mean some serious man love, but he's only had one good season at the plate and is coming off of a back injury that could linger. He's one of the best defensive 3B in baseball, though.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I have a serious question for ya... What do you think about the Santana trade?? I think they could've gotten much more. Didnt the Sox offer a package including Buckholz and Elsbury? And the yankees Hughes and Cabrera? I guess i am just interested in what you think(a Twins fan)...

No no no, the Sox never offered a deal for Buchholz, Ellsbury. The choices were Jon Lester and Crisp, Lowrie. Or Ellsbury, Lowrie, and some other minor league pitcher. As far as anything has been made public they couldn't even get Jon Lester and Ellsbury in the same deal(which was reportedly part of the reason why a deal didn't get done over the winter meetings). If Buchholz had been offered with Crisp and Lowrie I'm pretty sure the Twins would have accepted that pretty quickly. The deals offered were rather ho hum in my mind and Bill Smith waiting was just fine as I was hoping to get a better deal than that because none of them were going to be superstars.

The Hughes, Cabrera, much inferior minor league prospect has its own ups an downs. Hughes is pretty much certain to be a very good pitcher and possibly dominant. Cabrera isn't as exciting as Ellsbury if you ask me but is better than Crisp. He's a good CF option but isn't great. The biggest lack in this deal was the lack of a MI prospect and that what was offered wasn't all that high quality.

The Mets possibilities were most interesting. Pretty much none of them were/are sure things but definitely the highest upsides. If Martinez had been included this would have been my favorite deal, as it is I like the Boston one more and the Yankees one slightly less. Gomez could be very good but he could bust out with all of his strike outs, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he does. Humber I'm thinking is the one who the Twins dig, before his TJ surgery he was ace material but after coming back this past year he was merely ok. If he never regains his old stuff and speed then a 4th or 5th starter, if he does then this deal becomes much less of a problem. Mulvey is ok and should be pitching with the Twins either this or next year to some capacity, surest thing in this deal but he won't wow anyone. Guerra is a long way aways but I've heard(I don't know much about him) people rave about his possibilities. He's 19 though so he could flame out. If things go right then this deal is the best. If they go wrong this deal will look terrible a couple years down the road.

Personally I don't fault the Twins front office for whats happened. The deals being offered in December seemed low-ball for the best lefty in the majors now come Feb Santana says trade me now or during the season I won't waive my NTC. Puts them in a tough spot, the Twins reportedly even offered a 5 year 100 million dollar extension. Bill Smith did his best but he didn't end up on top in this situation and while I don't like the trade he was between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
STL gets a resurgence with a PO'd Pujols ready to prove their lovely local FSN affiliation suggesting he was going to be part of the Mitchell Report prior. He's banned them from the locker room. Pitching will be better this year and no Rolen distraction. Go Card's! If you're not a Card's fan you should be, you can save a apparel with your CY gear.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
STL gets a resurgence with a PO'd Pujols ready to prove their lovely local FSN affiliation suggesting he was going to be part of the Mitchell Report prior. He's banned them from the locker room. Pitching will be better this year and no Rolen distraction. Go Card's! If you're not a Card's fan you should be, you can save a apparel with your CY gear.

I don't think Pujols can ban FSN MW from the locker room, they broadcast like 60% of the Cardinal games...

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
its never to early to talk baseball. i'm a huge cubs fan and they should easily win the division. but i personally think the mets and the red sox are crazy good and i expect both in the world series even though my heart wants the cubs to be in it.

LowballLuke

Jan 25, 2008
Ames, IA
Did the Cubs make any big moves this offseason? I heard something about them signing a player from Japan that was drawing some comparisons to Ichiro.

CrunchD3

Jan 29, 2008
Did the Cubs make any big moves this offseason? I heard something about them signing a player from Japan that was drawing some comparisons to Ichiro.
Other than signing Fukudome and Jon Lieber they have done anything which is dissapointing they need to go out a get a leader on that team I mean they have a few quality players but nobody to step up and take the reigns Sweet Lou can't energize them by getting tossed every game

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I know that baseballl will be right around the corner when I hear which team Barry Bonds will play for.

Last edited:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Any way we could have some CyBookie MLB events before the season starts? Get some betting events such as who will win the WS, who will win each division, etc.