Basement Finish

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We did a 800 Sq Ft Basement Project last summer found good contractor that bid it out where I paid for supplies directly when he purchased and paid his labor weekly. 5 - 6 week timeline and cost of aprox $17K which included $2500 for carpet and $2000 for the 42" high cabinets for the small kitchnette area. Had a 3/4 Bath, Kitchnette area, and office room leaving aprox 100Ft sq for storage along with under the steps. Aprox. $21 ft sq cost seemed reasonable compared to 2 other bids we had of $24,000 - 31,000 by General Contractor.

Find a starving contractor trying to get his business started with great references. Offer to support their business as a reference if job done well. The guy doing ours got 3 more jobs because of our reference.

Might be the appropriate place to note that good contractors aren't the ones starving.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I am doing my basement now... its been 2+ years off and on, so I am excited to push through to the end... It does require patience though...

It took me 9 months of weekends to complete the job.

OK....if you're thinking of doing it yourself...read these two quotes...take 2 years doing it once in a while, or take up every weekend for 9 months...is it worth that to save a few thousand dollars? If so and you enjoy the work, have at it, that's not what I went to college for.

I finished a basement with a large family room and a bedroom, left a large storage room and space with stubs for a bathroom (estimate was another 8K for the bathroom). I did most of the framing, I hired the electrical, drywall, and flooring. I painted and did trim work myself (In hindsight, I'd gladly hire the framing and trim work...interior painting is easy). Cost 10K for about 800 square feet. Not cheap option, had ceramic tile and nice carpet.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm enjoying this thread, keep the tidbits coming, I'm kind of in the same spot as the OP.

chrismiller4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2010
Waverly
I am currently finishing my basement as well, I studed up interior walls and just finished drywall. I am hiring the mud and taping to be done and the carpet install. Our house is 2000 sq feet with about 1700 finished in the basement. Expecting the basement to cost 20-25k which is mostly just materials. I went outlet and light crazy but too many is better than not enough!

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Is this something that could be done in increments? What would the order be? I have little desire to do this myself. I am not handy and don't want it to look like my elementary art projects.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Consider getting a nice acoustic ceiling installed, should you have the head space for it. It will allow you access to the floor joists at a later date, should you need to do something new (like running more speaker wire) or make repairs on existing items.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Is this something that could be done in increments? What would the order be? I have little desire to do this myself. I am not handy and don't want it to look like my elementary art projects.

I think once permits are issued you have 12 months, so you'd have to reapply if it takes longer than that.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I think once permits are issued you have 12 months, so you'd have to reapply if it takes longer than that.

Depends on how the increments work...My last house, I wanted to get a storage room done, so I got a permit to frame that in. Later I finished the rest.

If you wanted to finish the whole basement at once, the order would be framers, electrical/plumbing (if needed) drywall, flooring/trimwork/painting. (folks will argue about the order of those last 3 so I lumped them together).

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Depending on how nice you want the bathroom and what you do for flooring, I'd expect you to be in the $25-$50 sq/ft range if you pay to have it all done.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
If you're going to put in a theater, you should browse over on AVSForum. Read the sections about soundproofing and decoupling your walls. You're lucky if you can start from scratch. It's more difficult to do that in an already finished space.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA

My $.02: If you consider yourself "not handy" my reccomendation would just be to pay someone else to do it. You are going to have the sunk cost of the materials no matter if its you or someone else. Things sound really simple, I mean building a wall, how hard can that be? Truth is that it is harder than it sounds, especially for someone with little to no experience.

Another huge advantage of paying for others to do it is that it will be done quickly. I did mine myself and it took the better part of two years. Now that being said I work FT and did most of it by myself with just a bit of help here and there. I also took most of the summer periods of time during the summer to work on "outside" projects. You should also consider that you will have to haul or pay for delivery of all of the materials, get them into the basement etc. (You will pay for this with the pro's too but they will do all of the work :smile:)

Probably more like $.04 but whatever

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The best way to learn to do something is do it yourself. Get some books, watch some vids and do one room. I just think it is crazy what guys get paid to do house work.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
My builder wanted to finish 1,000 sqft for $27,000. I said no way. I've got everything framed, duct work is being installed right now as I type, and plumbing and electrical will be done in 2-3 weeks. I should be able to finish everything (full bath too) for around $11-13,000.

If contracting it out, I would be hesitant going with anyone over $30/sqft and anyone under $20/sqft.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How many of you used a sub floor when finishing it?
I'm wondering if I frame in a utility room now and want to finish it later, should I make sure that the door jamb is enough off the concrete to accommodate a sub floor on the finished side later. I'd like to have the door obviously at the correct height from the finished side.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
There are some areas where you can save money (carpet, which runs the risk of getting wet; painting, light fixtures, etc) but DO NOT skimp on the bathroom, especially plumbing, and especially if you are going to have a shower installed. Also, think about some type of 'hanging ceiling' in areas that can get wet from above, like beneath the kitchen sink or any first floor bathrooms.

Nothing kills a nice finished basement faster than water damage.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
How many of you used a sub floor when finishing it?
I'm wondering if I frame in a utility room now and want to finish it later, should I make sure that the door jamb is enough off the concrete to accommodate a sub floor on the finished side later. I'd like to have the door obviously at the correct height from the finished side.

You can always cut it when you put the sub floor in. That way you how high it needs to be.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Going through almost the exact same process as OP. Got bids from three general contractors in DSM area (all three were at the homeshow). Bids were 27, 29 and 56. About 600 sq feet with a 3/4 bath and a very small wet bar. Haven't pulled trigger yet. Seems high and I wish I could do some of it by myself, but don't have the health to do it.

des moines builders are busy right now. late fall would be a good time to get quotes for inside work that can be done in the winter.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'm doing my framing now. I had an architect buddy draw up the plans I sketched. Some Jethro's wings and a good bottle of scotch and I had a floorplan to give to Menard's to order me wood, drywall, mud, tape, etc. They figured it all out so we'll see how good they are. I had it all delivered for $59 and did it during their 11% rebate.

I had to start with hiring Iowa Concrete to cut my floor for plumbing. I moved the bathroom 20' from where it was stubbed. $400. I rented a jackhammer to break it up smaller and set it aside. $35. I hired three high schoolers from church for $20/hr and they hauled the pieces to my truck in 15 minutes. Since that went so quick I had them carry my lumber down for me. Another 15 minutes. Best $60 I ever spent. The plumber dug out the trench and laid the drain pipes and carried/mixed/poured the concrete for $1,000. Once I finish framing, hopefully this weekend, he is coming in to set the shower/tub and all the plumbing for toilet, bar, sink, etc. for the additional $875

I have the electrician scheduled for the 24th and the drywall a week later. I'm taking three days off this week to finish the framing.

I went through a few contractors, and finally found a buddy that gave me names of great guys that do these things on their time.
~$3,000 in materials, including shower/tub, drywall, lumber, cabinets, etc.
$1,875 in plumbing
$1,900 in electrical with him giving me a sub-panel in basement.
$1,800 for drywall labor. Material already included above.
$300 for 'warm tiles,
$400 for HVAC, two returns and one heat vent plus fart fan
$1,500-$2,000 carpet installed
$1,000 for granite and sinks for bath and bar
$1,000 for cabinets and trim
$200-$300 for home theater wiring
~700 sq. feet finished and ~150 sq. ft unfinished

So I'm hoping to stay around $16,000 or less. Everything below drywall is still estimated as I'm not there yet. I have taken four days off after this week and won't plan to take any others. I'm planning to be done in 4-6 weeks total. So, this is around $23/sq. ft. My contractor buddies say that the going rate is around $30/sq ft. Depending on what you do for material and design, and the challenges, like moving plumbing across the whole ******* house.

Good luck, I love this stuff.

Last edited: