Poll: Which ISU Bball Team of the Last Two Years Was The Best?

Which ISU Bball Team of the Last Two Years Was Better?

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Now that I've already posted a poll on which CFH coached bball team was your favorite and we've got that hashed out, I now pose the question of which bball team of the last two years had the best team? The following are a few stats on each team to help you in your analysis:

2011-2012 Team
Stars: Royce White, Scott Christopherson, Chris Allen, Chris Babb, Melvin Ejim
Season Record: 23-11
Conference Record: 12-6
Place in Conference: Tied for third
Conference Tourney: Ousted second round by Texas (bye first round)
NCAA Tournament: Beat defending Champion UConn in first round, then lost to Kentucky in second
NCAA Tournament Seed: 8
End of Regular Season RPI: 33
Notable Wins: Iowa (Home), Kansas (Home), Baylor (Home), K-State (Home and Away), Texas (Home), UConn (NCAA Tourney)
Bad Loses: Drake (Away), UNI (Home), Texas (Big 12 Tourney)

2012-2013 Team
Stars:
Will Clyburn, Korie Lucious, Georges Niang, Melvin Ejim, Chris Babb, Tyrus McGee
Season Record: 23-12
Conference Record: 11-7
Place in Conference: Tied for fourth
Conference Tourney: Ousted 3rd round by Kansas, beat Oklahoma second round (bye first round)
NCAA Tournament: Beat Notre Dame first round, then lost to Ohio State in second round
NCAA Tournament Seed: 10
End of Regular Season RPI: 45
Notable Wins: Kansas State (Home), Oklahoma State (Home), Baylor (Road), Florida Gulf Coast (Home), Oklahoma (Home and Conf Tourney), Notre Dame (NCAA Tourney)
Bad Loses: Iowa (Away), Texas Tech (Away), Texas (Away)

As you can see on paper, the two teams are very comparable.

Last edited:

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
What's interesting to me is comparing them in the close games. Last years team had a few lucky breaks (Thug Life's banked in buzzer beater) while having a real finisher like Royce in the KSU game.

This years team literally had no lucky breaks. But played in a weaker Big 12. It's really a toss up for me.

Edit: I went with last years though simply because we had a player who provided the biggest mismatch I've ever watched (Royce). And our ability to finish games (whether lucky or not) while staying away from bad losses in Big 12 play, until Texas in the tourney.

Last edited:

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Now that I've already posted a poll on which CFH coached bball team was your favorite and we've got that hashed out, I now pose the question of which bball team of the last two years had the best team? The following are a few stats on each team to help you in your analysis:

2011-2012 Team
Stars: Royce White, Scott Christopherson, Chris Allen, Chris Babb, Melvin Ejim
Regular Season Record: 23-11
Conference Record: 12-6
Place in Conference: Tied for third
Conference Tourney: Ousted second round by Texas (bye first round)
NCAA Tournament: Beat defending Champion UConn in first round, then lost to Kentucky in second
End of Regular Season RPI: 33
Notable Wins: Iowa (Home), Kansas (Home), Baylor (Home), K-State (Home and Away), Texas (Home), Notre Dame (NCAA Tourney)
Bad Loses: Drake (Away), UNI (Home), Texas (Big 12 Tourney)

2012-2013 Team
Stars:
Will Clyburn, Korie Lucious, Georges Niang, Melvin Ejim, Chris Babb, Tyrus McGee
Regular Season Record: 23-12
Conference Record: 11-7
Place in Conference: Tied for fourth
Conference Tourney: Ousted 3rd round by Kansas, beat Oklahoma second round (bye first round)
NCAA Tournament: Beat Notre Dame first round, then lost to Ohio State in second round
End of Regular Season RPI: 45
Notable Wins: Kansas State (Home), Oklahoma State (Home), Baylor (Road), Florida Gulf Coast (Home), Oklahoma (Home and Conf Tourney), UConn (NCAA Tourney)
Bad Loses: Iowa (Away), Texas Tech (Away), Texas (Away)

As you can see on paper, the two teams are very comparable.
you have the tourney wins backwards.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
When in doubt, go with the team that has the clear-cut best player. I'll take the 11-12 team. From top to bottom the 12-13 team is more athletic, but RW was just on another level by the time the UK game rolled around.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Finished 3rd in conference last year with a better conference record. More dominant player in Royce on that team. 11-12 by a hair.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I would have to go with last year's because once they gelled, and Royce became the point-forward, they were pretty hard to beat. But, I do think this year's team was a little more fun to watch.....just because everybody was a shooter.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think this year probably had more overall talent with Clyburn, McGee, Lucious, Niang etc., but Royce was basically unguardable and sometimes that's all it takes in college basketball so I'll say last year's team but not by a large margin.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I'll take 2011-12.

Babb would lock down Clyburn and Royce would go for about 24, 11, and 12.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Gotta go last year. Allen>Lucious imo however close, babb on clyburn to help take him out of the equation, nobody to guard Royce and then Scotty w/ the tre. Plus I think Niang fouls out w/ Royce driving the lane.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
On paper, I've got to give the nod to the 11-12 team with Royce on it. However, the only slight difference on paper was simply due to 11-12 catching the few breaks that the 12-13 team didn't. I also give the nod to the 11-12 team because they had a better Big 12 record in what I considered a better Big 12.

Last edited:

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Very similar. Last year's team would beat this year's team with a buzzer-beating shot.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Who would have thought earlier on that I would have been including Florida Gulf Coast in our notable wins column, but I'm not sure how you can't at this point.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure they would have beat this year's team on a blown charge call.

Good point. Georges would have drove against Royce, a blarge would be called so they both would foul out at the same time.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I think it's really close, but I'd probably pick the team with the best player and the better defense. Complete toss-up if they're playing one game, but I think '11-'12 would narrowly take the best of seven.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This is literally like the 5th thread in the past week asking this.

There has been threads where they went to talking about similar things, but this is the first poll. Like I said in my preface, I did post a poll earlier on which team was your favorite team, but that is a completely different question which should produce differing responses.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron