***Official Iowa State @ Texas Game Thread***

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Is this a symptom of 3 transfers playing who just aren't mentally tough? I hate to bag but man we are soft in tough situations.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Pratt, Bankhead, Willoughby, Fizer, Stevie J., Homan, Vroman.......we need another tough guy. We could use Victor Alexander for that matter.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
this team lacks a "we will not lose this game" personality.
overstatement. They played a good game, texas played an emotional great game with there two best players back.
The game came down to clyburn getting the ball stolen then fouling out of desperation. Just like what happened to ejim at osu. We need to work on end of game ball security

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Anybody noticed Lucious at the end casually walking up the floor and Fred yelling at him to run the play. I'm not sure what he was thinking there. Pretty sure we were under 15 seconds or so.

No kidding, I was thinking the same. It's not a hold onto the last shot thing either. It's a we're down by 3 with 30 seconds to go, let's get some points thing. Ridiculous.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Casual is the perfect word for the way KL plays.

I had a hawk fan tell me that our team's players acted like they were trying to be cool and emotionally unattached/nonchalant during the Iowa/ISU game which I missed. I think he is right about a few of them.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Too much going right for Texas and wrong for ISU at the same time...it's amazing that as bad of a road team tthat we are we still managed to score 86 and put it into double OT. Sucks we can't take Hilton everywhere like people said. We beat this team by 20 in regulation at home, even with Kabongo and the broken hand dude back we still could beat them by double digits in Hilton if we played again. We need to play better defensively and something must shift when we go down to Baylor next. I know I am skipping the home game and I am not looking past it. But I know we will be mentally okay at home - we just do not look mentally tough enough when we travel to win on the road in the big 12.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I am surprised no one mentioned that foul on Will Clyburn. I thought it was incidental contact and saw it 2 or three time and still thought it was incidental and would never have been called if it were a Texas player. That practically gave them the game. I am sure there were other fouls but that was so decisive. I have lived through so many years of this, that I can't get down on this team. A few of you youngsters should grow up. Texas is playing for their life, and that is life on the road in the big 12. I can assure you, Kansas would not have been treated the way we are. It is life, you have to be twice as good as the other team to beat them on the road in the Big 12. Those are the facts of life.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Pratt, Bankhead, Willoughby, Fizer, Stevie J., Homan, Vroman.......we need another tough guy. We could use Victor Alexander for that matter.

Name the tough coaches that nearly all those players played for? I see one just got his current tough team into the Top 25, which they haven't enjoyed for a while.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Please tell me god just doesn't like cyclone fans and that it's not just me. I replied to someone earlier that that being composed down 6 was nbd....sorry but isu history says as the better team we lose that game 9-10. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
All these tough losses have really haunted us. I'm sorry to say.... it isn't going away anytime soon. We're soft...plain and simple.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
You can count on us losing on the road from here on out, plus the KU game at home. That will not be enough to make the tourney. I'm sick of a lazy team willing to jack up 3's rather than move the ball and get good looks or shoot free throws. This is the kind of **** that will get Fred run. What does he have coming back? Do we have a decent point guard for next year? NO.

Derp derp derp derp. You are a disgrace to your avatar.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Excluding TT, we played KU, OSU and TX pretty well. We seem to catch other teams having the "games of their lives". A completely lucky banked in three, half court three at half, three ball by a player that has made none for the evening to send it into overtime, all starts to play on your psyche....The first time it happens you just think, "they were lucky", the second time, "seriously", the third "oh God not again!" Maybe we are lacking that guy that makes it happens when they need it, but overall we are not lacking effort. These men don't want to lose and I can guarantee they are trying to make our fan base proud. I understand the frustration, but try to be supportive.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Will plays incredibly soft and losing the ball in that situation is a glaring mistake.
He has some offensive skills (when he's not driving the lane and getting it blocked) and made the two big FTs. But they just can't hide him on defense. He makes Percy look like Bill Russell. Lost his guy at the end of regulation.* Bad TO in the first OT. Gets beat by Felix at the end of the first OT but miraculously the shot doesn't go in. Gives up a terrible weakside offensive board to McClellan with less than a minute left and has to foul him. And then the TO to essentially end the game.

I'm sure he's a nice kid, but he has evaporated on the road against Iowa, KSU and tonight. They needed him to be the best player on the team this year and he hasn't been up to it. Not his fault, it's just who he is (or isnt'). Big12 POY candidate ... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

* Whoever is arguing about whether you should foul at the end of regulation ... the foul theory assumes you can stay within 5 feet of your guy. Was Will even on the same side of the court as the greek kid who made the wide open shot?

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Excluding TT, we played KU, OSU and TX pretty well. We seem to catch other teams having the "games of their lives". A completely lucky banked in three, half court three at half, three ball by a player that has made none for the evening to send it into overtime, all starts to play on your psyche....The first time it happens you just think, "they were lucky", the second time, "seriously", the third "oh God not again!" Maybe we are lacking that guy that makes it happens when they need it, but overall we are not lacking effort. These men don't want to lose and I can guarantee they are trying to make our fan base proud. I understand the frustration, but try to be supportive.
Maybe after the first or second time some of these guys would think ... "I should guard my guy"

Help Support Us

Become a patron