Hoks don't lack confidence

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
If you watched that game and actually thought Iowa should have won you should apply to be Aaron White's publicist. The reason they shot 25% is the fact that they have no shooters and Ohio State looked twice as athletic when Iowa was trying to run their sets. Saying they deserved to win because they missed more FTs than usual is like saying Iowa was lucky to be in the game since they doubled their season avg in offensive rebounds.

Why don't you actually read the post. I clearly said Iowa DIDN'T deserve to win. Ohio State dominated that game for 30 minutes, and deserved to win. But Iowa put itself in control down the stretch, and if they'd just executed things that Ohio State had ZERO control over (free throws), they likely would have won the game. They fought and scrapped their way back into a position to take the game back, and they ****** that opportunity away.

Sure helped that most of Ohio State's offense (aka Thomas) went out for some time in the 2nd half. But I suppose you can ignore that.

Injuries happen (and BTW, Thomas played 37 minutes last night, only coming out for that cut). The way the game went down the stretch, Iowa had all the momentum and shot themselves in the foot by screwing something up that they typical do very well.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
So all I'm taking from this thread is that, much like Iowa football, Iowa basketball doesn't get beat by other teams, they just beat themselves.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
And yet somehow, despite being down by 23 and shooting 25% for most of the game, they probably should have won. A team that came in shooting 72% from the line went 13-26 last night, and lost by 9. Had a chance to close it to 3, but missed a FT.

Iowa didn't deserve to win, but they still let it get away from them at the end. It was right there for the taking.

Should have won? Hard to say a team that was down by 24 points in the second half should have won considering they never actually came back to take the lead after that. Pretty good spin though.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
So all I'm taking from this thread is that, much like Iowa football, Iowa basketball doesn't get beat by other teams, they just beat themselves.

Ohio State dominated. Iowa somehow had it's chance to win, anyway, and didn't execute the easiest play in basketball.

Ohio State forced Iowa into too deep of a hole, and thus deserved to win the game. But Iowa players have every reason to feel like they let a golden opportunity get away.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Ohio State dominated. Iowa somehow had it's chance to win, anyway, and didn't execute the easiest play in basketball.

Ohio State forced Iowa into too deep of a hole, and thus deserved to win the game. But Iowa players have every reason to feel like they let a golden opportunity get away.

You were spinning their loss pretty hard a few posts ago and now are back pedaling like Tim Brown.

I'm guessing your favorite 90's alt rock band had the hit single "Two Princes", based off your previous posts in this thread.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You were spinning their loss pretty hard a few posts ago and now are back pedaling like Tim Brown.

I'm guessing your favorite 90's alt rock band had the hit single "Two Princes", based off your previous posts in this thread.

Fine, I'm backpedalling. But it's hardly outrageous for the team to think they let one slip away, as many in this thread seem to think.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Fine, I'm backpedalling. But it's hardly outrageous for the team to think they let one slip away, as many in this thread seem to think.

I think most people would say that a team that held a 24 pt lead in the second half and won means nobody let anything slip away...maybe you could spin it that only being down 4 at one point in the second half was a moral victory?

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
I don't believe the hawks were closer than 4pts and did way more to lose the game than just miss throws. They were lucky to be that close IMO.

The 2nd half the of the game last night was pathetic. Both teams were running, flopping, bumping, falling, and crying all over the court. I saw next to zero basketball skills going on durring that half. I am not sure why the big 10 is insistant on playing they way night in and night out its like they compensating for being such sissy football programs or somthing and have to show how tough they are. Start playing basketbll and stop with this basket-brawl nonsense.

Reactions: kingcy

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I think most people would say that a team that held a 24 pt lead in the second half and won means nobody let anything slip away...maybe you could spin it that only being down 4 at one point in the second half was a moral victory?

Going to the line down 5 with 90 seconds left is a ball game, especially if you hit both FT.

And yeah, it's a moral victory. You've made a groundbreaking discovery there. Seeing positives in a loss is the definition of a moral victory.

D

DistrictCyclone

"Letting one slip away" usually refers to a team that blows a game they've got in the bag...I've never heard it in reference to a team who scored a few points during garbage time to reduce a massive deficit. You "let one slip away" against OSU in the same way that Wisconsin let one slip away against you...i.e., not in your wildest dreams.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Going to the line down 5 with 90 seconds left is a ball game, especially if you hit both FT.

And yeah, it's a moral victory. You've made a groundbreaking discovery there. Seeing positives in a loss is the definition of a moral victory.

Well next time I'll remember if a team is down 5 pts with a minute and a half left and hit one of two free throws, they let the game slip away, especially if they didn't lead the game in the second half. Good to know.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I don't believe the hawks were closer than 4pts and did way more to lose the game than just miss throws. They were lucky to be that close IMO.

The 2nd half the of the game last night was pathetic. Both teams were running, flopping, bumping, falling, and crying all over the court. I saw next to zero basketball skills going on durring that half. I am not sure why the big 10 is insistant on playing they way night in and night out its like they compensating for being such sissy football programs or somthing and have to show how tough they are. Start playing basketbll and stop with this basket-brawl nonsense.

I'd agree with this completely. I don't understand why the conference wears that as a badge of honor. It hurts Iowa on most nights, even when they win, because they typically don't adjust to that style of play. And it hurts the Big Ten in March, when they see officiating crews who don't allow you to mug your opponent.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Well next time I'll remember if a team is down 5 pts with a minute and a half left and hit one of two free throws, they let the game slip away, especially if they didn't lead the game in the second half. Good to know.

They were in the midst of a 30-10 run. Ohio State was collapsing. That's more than a little momentum in your favor. With that much momentum, it's not hard to see how a team would feel they let one get away when they can't hit free throws after everything they'd already done to get back in the game.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Hey, don't knock the Spin Doctors. They were part of the original H.O.R.D.E festival of the early 90s!

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
"Letting one slip away" usually refers to a team that blows a game they've got in the bag...I've never heard it in reference to a team who scored a few points during garbage time to reduce a massive deficit. You "let one slip away" against OSU in the same way that Wisconsin let one slip away against you...i.e., not in your wildest dreams.

Wisconsin wasn't throwing away easy points that would have given them the lead. They just ran out of time.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Why is there so much argueing going on here? A loss is a loss and a win is a win. Nothing else matters.

In the context of the selection committee, absolutely. In the context of fans rationalizing losses, especially close ones, there is no such thing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
All I know is, I hope you get hit by a truck while writing parking tickets at the mall.

You failed miserably here. You could have said something like this in response that would have been a real burner:

I don't know; Iowa appears to be 1-0 in Iowa State's conference.

That was a hanging slider and you decided to try to steal first instead.