Your greatest athletic achievement/moment

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
Not wanting to start thinking about work yet on Monday morning, so this topic came to my mind. It would be interesting to hear stories from some posters on CF.

What was the one greatest sports moment/story in your life that you accomplished. It could be from early years, high school, or even college if you were lucky enough to play. Lets hear em!

'Scuss

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Can't think of a great individual moment in a game (lots of team moments), but the best individual feeling was waking up to a voicemail from my high school football coach that I had made the Des Moines Register's All-State football team.

Going to get a copy of the paper later that day and seeing my name in it was a huge validation of all the work I had put in over the years.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Finishing the Des Moines Marathon was a huge accomplishment.

An even bigger accomplishment was not hurling the Natty Ice or whatever terrible beer they were giving out for free at the finish line.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I beat two future all big ten safties on a play for the "greatest catch I've ever seen in high school football" - Bob Brooks.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
I qualified for the state wrestling tournament. I wasnt supposed to. I had a tough district. First round I got smoked by the kid that ended up third in state and in the wrestle backs i faced a kid that had beat me 3-1, 8-1, 9-1 when i met him during the regular season. I took him down and caught him in a cradle in the first period. The crowd and my coaches went crazy. I still watch that video when i need a pick me up.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
In high school cc there was one race at Johnston where coming into the final straightaway I was something like thirty or forty feet behind the kid in front of me but was able to beat him in a sprint to the finish when I passed him on our last stride. I felt like Rudy

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I had a pretty big chest when I got voted captain of my small college football team, twice was the player of the week (as an O-lineman, unfortunately both times was with losses), Nothing huge, but at the time it sure felt good. One moment I will never forget is breaking up a no hitter in high school in the 7th to the best pitcher in our conference by knocking a triple off the right field wall. Of course I was stranded there when the game ended.
I was on a coaching staff that won a state title. That was pretty awesome

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Hitting an inside the park home run my 3rd game playing varsity. It was the only way all 6'1" 150 of me was ever going to hit a home run.

D

DistrictCyclone

I got the Most Improved Player during my senior year on my high school basketball team...because I spent most of my junior year on the bench with a leg injury.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
not sure how i'd rate them but here's what i got:

A) clearing 6'2" in high jump when i was 5'10" (hs)
B) finishing 8th in the distance med at state despite our anchor leg dropping the baton (hs)
C) selected as one of about 6 players from the state of iowa to represent on the all midwest rugby team. (isu)

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I gave up 17 Earned Runs to Colfax-Mingo. In 3 2/3 innings.

I think this is why I drink so much.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
I went to Iowa State even though my dad wanted me to stay in Cedar Rapids and go to Coe, he was worried ISU would be too big and I wouldn't get involved. On a Saturday in March 2009, he and my mom walked along side me to center court at Hilton as I was honored on Senior Night as a basketball manager. Hearing those 12,000 clap for me (even though they had no idea who I was) was really an honor, and felt good to prove my dad wrong.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
2A football State Championship game against Solon and current Hawkeye James Morris in 2009-If anyone doubts he's good, your wrong (He's really good, not the most fun blocking him)..as well as tearing every ligament in my knee and foot in a single wrestling match my senior year, good times for all

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Held future hawkeye Russ Millard to a single basket. A three f'in pointer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron