Your greatest athletic achievement/moment

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I was a lineman in high school and college so not a ton of individual stats besides all conference/state/ etc. But ended up being a 4 year starter in college at the D2 level. Got to go to participate at some NFL pro days and a couple individual workouts for some NFL teams, never made it past that but still cool to say I had a shot.

My other one was winning the ISU basketball camp hot shot competition summer before my junior year. The reward for winning was a half hour shooting session with Tim Floyd and Fred Hoiberg. At that time in my life it was the coolest thing to ever happen to me.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I don't have many but there has been a few.

At 12, I hit a bases-loaded triple in Little League, off the best pitcher in the league (he was mature enough to be shaving).

Playing outfield for my Navy softball team, I ran down a long fly ball, snowconed it over my shoulder, and doubled up a guy at first base, who was already half-way to third.

Did a winter ascent of Long's Peak with a buddy, when I was 30.

Got my black belt in Taekwondo with the best scores I'd ever gotten on a test -- graded by a Karate HOF instructor.

Last edited:

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I spent my entire Sr State CC race thinking we were getting spanked because I miscounted the other team's guys ahead of me (I was our 3 and thought I was running with their 4 &5). Turns out it was there 3 and 4 and our 4 and 5 were right behind me, while our 6 almost beat their 5 and they were well back in the pack.

I though we'd lost for about 30 minutes after the race, until all our friends came running up and tackled us. I went from wanting to cry to crying for different reasons. We’d won the two years before, but lost most of our team and no one thought we’d be any good, so it was a nice little f-you to anyone who didn’t give us any credit.

Classic “Nobody Believes in Us” scenario.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Not sure which thread this goes in.. but in football coming out of the huddle I tripped over our guard (I was tackle) and I caught myself with my hand behind my legs on the ground. If I moved I woulda been called for a false start but I stayed down and then got trucked when the play started. The only reason I'm putting this in here was that the play was supposed to be run right behind me and my teammate scored a 70 yard touchdown

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
My first baseball game in high school I had to be a RP. Bases loaded, down by 2 with 2 outs. A guy named Johnny Coy (would later to be drafted by the Phillies and played with AZ State) was the batter I had to face. He was 3-3 with a HR already so I was a little nervous. Threw him 2 fastballs and a change up to strike him out looking. Best sports moment of my life.

(The next time I faced him, he took me yard. Still not sure if that ball has landed yet.)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I guess I forgot junior year HS golf. We were an okay team for the season. I think we were 5-4 in conference or something like that but we weren't great. We then went on to win conference, get second at sectionals and districts to make to state. I think we got second to last but it was a pretty cool experience considering no one thought we would actually get there. Then we underachieved my senior year.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Im a crappy golfer and drive about 220. This summer i launched a drive about 315 yards (landed past the hole) and then drained my 2nd shot from 25 yards out. Still not sure how i did either. Also playing bball in college i broke and tore everything poszible in my ankle in one play on defense. Pretty impressive.

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
Quit playing organized baseball after high school. Lived in Pammel Court at ISU. A bunch of married guys, with quite a few football players, had a slo pitch softball team sponsored by Pammel Grocery. They recruited me and I played 3 years with them playing in Ames city and also intramural leagues. We were pretty good, winning city league a couple of times. I had one game where I cranked 3 out. Ended up playing softball til I was 44 yrs old.

Greatest achievement though was one night in the bar that sponsored us when I was in Tex after the game. Some guys were playing quarters. I was giving them cr*p about that took no skill. I was sitting at the bar. Over on the liquor shelf behind the bar was a beer pitcher they used for tip money about 7 ft away. I told them anyone with any ability ought to be able to bounce the qtr off the bar and over into the pitcher. So with the team watching, after at least one pitcher, I flipped one qtr and sunk it on the first shot.

I retired after the one shot!

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Can't really rank them in any certain order but

1. Going 3-3 in my first varsity game that was a district game, with 2 2bs a 3 run hr, and getting intentionally walked only time in my life.
2. Throwing a No-hitter on jv as a sophomore should have been a perfect game but I tried to get fancy and throw a curve I didn't have and hit a kid.
3. Running a 2:12 800 as an 8th grader to win conference.
4. As a team in IM basketball, we averaged more points than any team in any of the divisions, and didn't win a game... Shoot the 3 and play No D, was the team moto clearly.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
First game of varsity soccer season I started as a sophomore and was freaking out playing at #4 Johnston as they were our #1 rival. Scored in the 71st of 80 minutes to win 1-0. Both sidelines were lined with people and I felt like I was Usain Bolt sprinting up and down the field.

Worst moment, I was only a witness as I played A team, but our B team basketball team lost 70-0 to Ames my 8th grade year. Having two middle schools in Marshalltown made most sports hard to compete in, that's not the case anymore though as they combined 5-6 and 7-8.

I included that worst moment because I know some of them read this site and hope they see it.:spinny:

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Bob Uecker's greatest MLB moment - "Getting a bases loaded walk in the bottom of the 9th to force in the winning run in a spring training inter-squad game"

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
Going 4-4 (2 singles, 2B, and Grand Slam) with 6 RBI, one of which provided a walk-off win in extra innings.

Also, a few years before that, I set the school JV batting average record of .563

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
After pitching a nono against my hated rivals in baseball. The other team jeered me all game. After i struck out the last guy I promptly bowed to the other teams bench.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
1) first disc golf ace. Gateway park, hole #6.
2) 3rd place in the 4x200 at the Drake Relays.
3) Finally breaking 11 seconds in the 100m dash (10.94) FAT.
4) bench pressing more than twice my body weight. 330lbs @ 160.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Made love with the coaches wife.

JK.

My junior year it was senior night and I got thrown out there for my first playing time of the year because our second baseman had 2 errors that game. We are up by 2 with 1 out. Runner on first. Kid spanks it to right center. I knew the kid on first was speedy, so I knew he would score. I went to be the cutoff and threw it to third. It was a perfect throw and got the kid out.

The radio commentators said "The third baseman could've been sipping on a Diet Coke and that ball would've found his glove to get the out."

We won. No big.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
HS wrestling I had a good run but never won state. Ended career 125-16. Junior year only loss all year was after I tore my ACL first round at the state tournament - actually still won that match but had to forfeit the second round. Senior year only match I lost all year was state finals in OT. Set state class record for most wins in a season. Definitely a lot to be proud of, but will forever be disappointed at never winning the big one.

Also, put on a singlet again and competed at college open tournaments at the age of 30. Amazing how a person develops "old man strength" with a few years away. Still not sure how that happens, but it does.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
What course and what hole?

I got 10 under the belt, but I play a lot.

Jericho Lake #6 in Aurora, IL.
I play an ungodly amount and should have way more than my measly 3. I have hit chains at Carroll Marty #10 four times now...guess it was never meant to be :(.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
1) first disc golf ace. Gateway park, hole #6.
2) 3rd place in the 4x200 at the Drake Relays.
3) Finally breaking 11 seconds in the 100m dash (10.94) FAT.
4) bench pressing more than twice my body weight. 330lbs @ 160.

One of many holes on that course I want to ace really badly. I watched my roommate last year ace #16 there, absolutely unbelievable.