BIG Beyond Maryland & Rutgers

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Adding more crappy teams, way to go Delany. Keep diluting the already bad product. Has anyone ever asked the question, "even with all the tv sets in these areas - do the ad dollars keep coming in when no one is watching?"

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Adding more crappy teams, way to go Delany. Keep diluting the already bad product. Has anyone ever asked the question, "even with all the tv sets in these areas - do the ad dollars keep coming in when no one is watching?"

Big 10 should've taken a unique approach to expansion: B1G and B1G Jr.

Keep the original 10 for the main, anchor the secondary version w/ Nebraska and Penn State, and add 8 more prospects drawn from a hat.

... who knows, maybe that's actually the plan ...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not boston college. Id bet if they go to 16 its VA and UNC

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
16 team Super Conferences are happening. Screw regional rivalries and screw the fans.

This sucks for everyone except the money hungry administrators.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

The vast, vast majority of the money BTN makes isn't from ad dollars, it's from cable subscriber fees and as long as they can keep forcing it on the basic sports tier, the money will keep coming in.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The vast, vast majority of the money BTN makes isn't from ad dollars, it's from cable subscriber fees and as long as they can keep forcing it on the basic sports tier, the money will keep coming in.

It really does sound like a college sports pyramid scheme, doesn't it? And just like the idiot that got conned into being an Amway rep only to find that he's run out of other suckers to become owners and is stuck with a ****** product to push, the Big Ten is eventually going to run out of new markets to force the BTN on and will have to deal with the fact that it has an increasingly out-classed on-field product.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I dunno, I think four 16 team "super" conferences with four 4 team divisions would be OK. Bump up the season to a 14 game schedule, and have a 1-game play-off into the conference championship. The four mega conferences then receive auto bids into a 10 team playoff, with the four champions guaranteed a spot in the elite 8, while an at-large process selects from the remaining mega-conferences, as well as the non-mega conferences to fill up the other slots. The lowest two teams would play-in for a spot against the overall #1.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I dunno, I think four 16 team "super" conferences with four 4 team divisions would be OK. Bump up the season to a 14 game schedule, and have a 1-game play-off into the conference championship. The four mega conferences then receive auto bids into a 10 team playoff, with the four champions guaranteed a spot in the elite 8, while an at-large process selects from the remaining mega-conferences, as well as the non-mega conferences to fill up the other slots. The lowest two teams would play-in for a spot against the overall #1.

There would be an uproar if they tried to go to a 14 game regular season.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I'm actually hoping for this setup. I'd prefer to just use the current BCS rankings, give the highest ranking non-AQ conference champ an auto bid, top 3 BCS ranked teams after those 5 champs get at large bids. Would be much better than what we have now. No truly title deserving team would ever be left out with the 3 at large picks, but you don't have to worry about it becoming the All Southern Football Playoff either which a selection committee picking 8 would honestly have to select this year outside of KSU and a Pac 12 team.

The Big Ten can have its TV money that way, but the SEC and Big 12 would be rewarded with the lion's share of the 3 at large bids since they play a different level of football.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

Rutgers brings 8,000+ fans to bolster BIG10. LOL

OB-VK599_1120ru_G_20121120123835.jpg

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I don't see BC either, I would guess UVA and UNC. The Big Ten is all about adding contiguous states, Maryland seems like it's acting as the bridge between Pennsylvania and the big prizes in Virginia and North Carolina.

Question is, when B1G goes to sixteen does the SEC do the same? NC State and Virginia Tech would have to be the favorites, assuming UNC is off the board. VaTech is a no-brainer, and the SEC would have an easy choice to pick a North Carolina school (as they don't have one yet, and in the past they didn't want to add a school in a state that they already have). I would lean towards NC State but you can't ignore Duke's prestige as an academic institution and a basketball institution.

If the Big 12 wanted to join in... Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Duke or NC State, Louisville, Pittsburgh, maybe even Notre Dame would all be ripe for the plucking to get to sixteen. Just have to hold it together as the Pac-12 may come back to our area to steal Texas/Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State again. If we hold them off, their options are really limited. BYU, San Diego State, Boise State, Fresno State, Colorado State, Nevada... that's about it for them to choose from.

So much speculation, so little time

Last edited:

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006

Everything you say is true - until a single provider realizes that a pay for channel system is the demand and at that point the BTN takes it in the ***. At some point the demand will force some forward thinking provider to offer an across the board PPV cable/satellite channel option. It might still cost the same to the consumer but you will be able to "pick" the channels you decide to pay for. At that point the BTN's philosophy is flawed. It seems more likely than not that the change will eventually be, what you want versus what's forced on you. Everything about how technology is headed seems logical that it will go this way. So if there are 10 million people now with the BTN forced on them on the east coast perhaps only 3 million say yes to the BTN a la carte. I might be wrong. I'm just sickened by the conferences moves at this point.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That would be way too long of a season for the student athletes.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
Everything you say is true - until a single provider realizes that a pay for channel system is the demand and at that point the BTN takes it in the ***. At some point the demand will force some forward thinking provider to offer an across the board PPV cable/satellite channel option. It might still cost the same to the consumer but you will be able to "pick" the channels you decide to pay for. At that point the BTN's philosophy is flawed. It seems more likely than not that the change will eventually be, what you want versus what's forced on you. Everything about how technology is headed seems logical that it will go this way. So if there are 10 million people now with the BTN forced on them on the east coast perhaps only 3 million say yes to the BTN a la carte. I might be wrong. I'm just sickened by the conferences moves at this point.

Service providers don't have much say at this point, media companies like Disney won't allow ala carte. The FCC is in their pocket too. I do agree at some point enough people will demand better value for their money.

Until then the only option is to cut the cord, I know a lot of people who have.

Why your cable TV bill will never get cheaper - MarketWatch

Some 9% of homes with televisions cut their cable services in 2011, while another 11% said they planned to do so, a survey released by Deloitte earlier this year found.

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
Since this story broke last Friday or Saturday, I've been perusing the sports sites for comments from the other conferences. Other than noise out of the MWC, BYU, San Diego State and BSU rejoining, there is silence. The Dallas and Houston sports pages had no stories about the Big 12. Very interesting.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Since this story broke last Friday or Saturday, I've been perusing the sports sites for comments from the other conferences. Other than noise out of the MWC, BYU, San Diego State and BSU rejoining, there is silence. The Dallas and Houston sports pages had no stories about the Big 12. Very interesting.

The Big 10 beat them to it.

I'm not looking for things to move quickly toward four 16 team leagues. Or 3 with the fourth made up of the best from the rest. Then, everything is set up for a playoff. Yuck. Slippery slope. I love the bowl system and don't really care who is the national champion.