Maryland and Rutgers to Big 10?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
So they already get what $24 million per school? That's $16 * 12 + 80 = $272 million more per year. WTF is that going to come from?

The New York metro alone could add 200 million in cable subscription fees (that's a big could though, I don't think it's likely to happen).

I think 40 million is on the high end. I think 35 million is more likely.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The New York metro alone could add 200 million in cable subscription fees (that's a big could though, I don't think it's likely to happen).

I think 40 million is on the high end. I think 35 million is more likely.
The only problem is that most people in the New York metro don't give a rip about Rutgers athletics. I'm not so sure that they aren't overestimating this by a lot.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
The only problem is that most people in the New York metro don't give a rip about Rutgers athletics. I'm not so sure that they aren't overestimating this by a lot.

Doesn't matter if they care. All that matters is pushing the network onto cable and getting the subscription fees. Big Ten football has enough draw out there to justify it.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA

I grew up 8 miles away from Rutgers - Didn't care about them at all and never even went to a game

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Doesn't matter if they care. All that matters is pushing the network onto cable and getting the subscription fees. Big Ten football has enough draw out there to justify it.
I guess since this is the case, I'm surprised the Big 10 didn't jump on this sooner?

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006

I think the question is -- Does Big 10 football have that amount of draw. In the state of Nebraska, obviously taking the one BCS conference school is going to get you on basic cable. In the other Big 10 states it was the same when the network started up, most of them had only Big 10 schools in FBS or for states like Iowa or Pennsylvannia the school with the bigger fanbase was in the Big 10.

That's not the case for Maryland or Rutgers. Neither school is a football power and neither is currently drawing a big enough following. Maryland and New York/New Jersey are not states who follow the Big 10 either, especially in a year when just about every Big 10 team is having a down year. The BTN may still be able to force its way onto basic cable there, but I don't think it's a sure thing by any means.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
I think the question is -- Does Big 10 football have that amount of draw. In the state of Nebraska, obviously taking the one BCS conference school is going to get you on basic cable. In the other Big 10 states it was the same when the network started up, most of them had only Big 10 schools in FBS or for states like Iowa or Pennsylvannia the school with the bigger fanbase was in the Big 10.

That's not the case for Maryland or Rutgers. Neither school is a football power and neither is currently drawing a big enough following. Maryland and New York/New Jersey are not states who follow the Big 10 either, especially in a year when just about every Big 10 team is having a down year. The BTN may still be able to force its way onto basic cable there, but I don't think it's a sure thing by any means.

IMO, Delaney would not be doing this without know that in advanced.

D

DistrictCyclone

I think the bigger questions are: don't they already have that draw, and if not, does adding Rutgers and UMD really get them there? There are already boatloads of fans/alumni from nearly every Big Ten school in those markets...does adding Rutgers and UMD seriously increase the BTN's pull by that much?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Big 12 is going to get left behind and become a second rate conference

tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400.gif

D

DistrictCyclone

Because some old dinosaur conference just further watered itself down with two crappy schools? We're the cream of the cream; quality > quantity.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Because some old dinosaur conference just further watered itself down with two crappy schools? We're the cream of the cream; quality > quantity.

The B10 is only a "dinosaur" conference on the football field. When it comes to business acumen, they are two or three steps ahead of every other conference right now, which is why they are never the conference reacting to other conference's moves. They've had their master plan for a while, they make their moves and watch the other conferences scramble.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Its not watering down if it brings extra money to the table. If nothing else extra money helps your existing programs get better.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

#2 conference in America in football with only 10 teams, when others have 12 and 14? Add FSU and you just move up the mountain.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
FSU ...Come on Down.

ND will look at new options, If we can land them in All sports, then it is done. Add some regional rivals after that. BC, Pitt, Clemson, Ga Tech.

Pod 1: Texas 4
Pod 2: OSU, OU, KU, KSU
Pod 3: ISU, ND, BC, Pitt
Pod 4: WVU, Clemson, FSU, GA Tech

2 Cross Rivals, Keep the 9 Game schedule. Gaurantee each team at least one game in Texas every year.