Running the Read-Option

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
With all of the debate about Jantz and Barnett, something that gets overlooked are the actual stats on running the read-option.

Jantz has 53 rushing attempts already...he is averaging 1.5 ypc. He averaged 2.6 on 84 carries last year. As others have mentioned, it's like we are hell bent on fitting that square peg into a round hole. In comparison, Shontrelle Johnson has 42 caries and James White has 37.

Barnett on the other hand...had 104 attempts for 437 yards for 4.2 ypc last year. All against Big 12 teams.

It seems if the staff really wants to run the read-option as much as handing it off to the backs, then Barnett should be the guy...especially if Rhoads told Mess to run the ball more this year. If Jantz is the guy, why don't we modify our offense a little and play to his strengths??

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
The question I have, is how many of those rushing attempts were Jantz being sacked.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
The question I have, is how many of those rushing attempts were Jantz being sacked.

sacks are negative yard plays still? Maybe since JB doesn't get sacked as often should be taken into consideration.

There is only 1 stat that matters..........the W/L records. JB is 3-3 in Big12 play and SJ is 0-5!!!!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

They played roughly the same number of games last year so sacks are also accounted for in Barnett's rushing numbers...those comparisons should be pretty close to apples to apples.

Also, Barnett's numbers are against Big 12 teams while Jantz had the luxury of playing 6 OOC teams.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
It's puzzling. That is for sure. Jantz can make all of the throws, and Barnett runs the Offense better. I hope Barnett gets a shot next game whether or not Jantz struggles. Honestly, I don't see why Richardson doesn't get a shot. If our Offense continues how it is we may not sniff another win. Which is a tragedy for our D.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I was asking about sacks due to the comparison with the running backs, not Barnett.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I agree. Either ISU wants to run their offense with the zone-read, or they want to run their offense to the strengths of their personal. If it the zone-read they want, then put in the players who are best at it.

Go back to CPR's interview when Jantz was chosen...he was chosen because his arm-strength and accuracy was better.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
It has been said that Jantz throws the better deep ball...problem is that we don't have anybody to really consider a "deep threat" reciever. Is it really necessary to keep him in the game if his one advantage in the QB battle is something we don't really need? If we want to be calling zone reads on every opportunity, doesn't it make more sense to put the QB in that knows it like the back of his hand?

Jantz has won his three games for the year...isn't it time for Barnett to win his three?

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
I mentioned this in another thread. In the first 3 games this season, we've been very balanced on O, with the number of run attempts and pass attempts within 5 plays of each other. For TT, we had 38 rush attempts (a significant number form the read option) versus 20 pass attempts. I'm assuming that Mess saw what we did to Tech last year, and ground himself into that gameplan. Hopefully he can learn from that and get back to a balanced attack this week against TCU.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
sacks are negative yard plays still? Maybe since JB doesn't get sacked as often should be taken into consideration.

There is only 1 stat that matters..........the W/L records. JB is 3-3 in Big12 play and SJ is 0-5!!!!

That is HARDLY the only stat that matters. The QB is a huge part of the game, but far from the only part.

Excuse me for trusting CPR & Mess over you..

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I just think The OLine needs to block long enough to give some confidence to Jantz. He isn't Seneca who can thrive on constant pressure.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I just think The OLine needs to block long enough to give some confidence to Jantz. He isn't Seneca who can thrive on constant pressure.

Watching the replay, I don't think the o-line did that bad of a job...they could of done better, but the bigger problem was the receivers not getting open or being physical. O-line can only hold blocks for so long...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I mentioned this in another thread. In the first 3 games this season, we've been very balanced on O, with the number of run attempts and pass attempts within 5 plays of each other. For TT, we had 38 rush attempts (a significant number form the read option) versus 20 pass attempts. I'm assuming that Mess saw what we did to Tech last year, and ground himself into that gameplan. Hopefully he can learn from that and get back to a balanced attack this week against TCU.

I agree with this 100%. 20 pass attempts against Tech when ISU was averaging near 40 per game in our first 3. Game plan and play calling was bad. If it continues, then Ill be worried, but based on the first 3 games, I dont expect that.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
I love all the coaches we have on here. You don't think Mess and the staff know what they are doing? You think they are running the zone read based on how well we did last year? C'mon.

Tech watched the same game film we did, so they knew how to stop it. Tech was forcing us to run it (by jamming our WR and knowing SJs deep ball accuracy). So, we did what we had to do, run the ball. We just didn't execute. The coaches will put the players in the best scenario to win games, it is up the players to execute the plays.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
1.)They played roughly the same number of games last year so sacks are also accounted for in Barnett's rushing numbers...those comparisons should be pretty close to apples to apples.

2.)Also, Barnett's numbers are against Big 12 teams while Jantz had the luxury of playing 6 OOC teams.
1.)Depends on the plays called.
2.) Advantage? JB went against some defenses worse than the 6 OOC games.