iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy SIII

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Anyone else making this decision? What's swinging it one way or the other for you?

I have a Droid X, the hot Android phone from July 2010. Now, of course, it's a fossil. It's been a decent phone but I want 4G. I've been hugely frustrated by the fact that I'm still running Android 2.3 and apparently have no hope for an update.

I have an iPad so for the simple idea of uniformity among my technology, the iPhone sounds attractive. But I've read good things about the Samsung and I've been happy with Android overall. I just worry that with all the Android phones that always flood the market that it will be abandoned in a few months. I know the Samsung is significantly larger and I plan to hit a Verizon store soon to feel them both out.

Any other pros/cons or factors that helped you make your decision would be great.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
i feel like not enough people have an s3 for it to be SUPA DUPA KEWL

but some of the stuff is neato bo beato

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Galaxy is a much better phone if you are not a fanboy. I say this typing on a macbook.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Not the best source here, as I have neither the Galaxy SIII or the iPhone 5. But I have the Galaxy SII and am more than happy about it. I'm a little biased though, not a big fan of Apple. I think either is a great phone, but from what I've seen in the SIII, that's where my (biased) opinion leans.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I should add that I'm comfortable with either platform and I'm looking for an honest discussion, not a foodfight.

I'm even open to other phones although it seems like those are the best two going right now.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I dont think the iPhone will do anything that the SIII cant. The thing that held me back from the S was how huge it was. I ended up with the Razr Maxx which I'm pretty happy with. IMO I'm able to multitask, jump around from internet to text easily without much difficulty. I like having more than just one button to help me navigate. Also, I like having a map program that works.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Anyone else making this decision? What's swinging it one way or the other for you?

I have a Droid X, the hot Android phone from July 2010. Now, of course, it's a fossil. It's been a decent phone but I want 4G. I've been hugely frustrated by the fact that I'm still running Android 2.3 and apparently have no hope for an update.

I have an iPad so for the simple idea of uniformity among my technology, the iPhone sounds attractive. But I've read good things about the Samsung and I've been happy with Android overall. I just worry that with all the Android phones that always flood the market that it will be abandoned in a few months. I know the Samsung is significantly larger and I plan to hit a Verizon store soon to feel them both out.

Any other pros/cons or factors that helped you make your decision would be great.

Do you like the iPad's interface?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I loved my Motorola DROID until a newer version of Android came out and app updates started killing my phone as developers continued to optimize their app for the latest and greatest thing. With an iPhone the odds of your phone getting left behind over the lifecycle of the device is much lower in my opinion. The battery life of my 4S at this point in its life compared to my DROID is not even close, and friends that have Android phones can't go anywhere for more than a day without a charger.

However, buying an iPhone 5 will force you into their craptastic Maps app (one thing I regret about updating my 4S to iOS 6) and you'll have to lug around two sets of cables for it and your iPad since they switched the dock connector around, though I guess you're already doing that. I dislike large phones and appreciate Apple's attempts to keep their phones sized so I can hold it in my hand and reach my thumb across it and keep it in my pocket comfortably.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
s3 is better, and you're not constrained to Apple's draconian ecosystem. I'm biased though, I really hate Apple's ecosystem and really value bang-for-buck (not apple's strong suit).

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
buy an s3 and tell the next girl you're hitting on about the processing capability and how much ram your phone has

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
As an iPhone 4 and 4s user, I would say Samsung SIII or the new Motorolla. There is nothing about the iPhone that has made me a fan. Siri was cool, but when I had to get my third iPhone this year because of water damage, my company gave me the 4 instead of the 4s. :sad:

To me, the SIII commercial blasting iPhone is the reason I will go back to droid after this contract is up.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I have been rocking an SIII since launch, and also have an iPad. I would strongly recommend the SIII. It sounds like you have already used Android before and are happy with it, so if you start comparing hardware the advantage goes to the Galaxy.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
I loved my Motorola DROID until a newer version of Android came out and app updates started killing my phone as developers continued to optimize their app for the latest and greatest thing. With an iPhone the odds of your phone getting left behind over the lifecycle of the device is much lower in my opinion. The battery life of my 4S at this point in its life compared to my DROID is not even close, and friends that have Android phones can't go anywhere for more than a day without a charger.

However, buying an iPhone 5 will force you into their craptastic Maps app (one thing I regret about updating my 4S to iOS 6) and you'll have to lug around two sets of cables for it and your iPad since they switched the dock connector around, though I guess you're already doing that. I dislike large phones and appreciate Apple's attempts to keep their phones sized so I can hold it in my hand and reach my thumb across it and keep it in my pocket comfortably.

Ok so what is exactly wrong with this?

The old map provided by Google before the iO6 update was god awful. I was just in STL and 3 separate occasions it took me to a completely wrong address.

I see the upgrade to turn by turn navigation good (albiet its been out for a long time on Android. I understand that). If its some glitch or or crashing problems or something you dont think Apple will fix this with an update eventually?

When comparing to what the Maps app was and what it can be if the malodies get updated is no contest. Comparing it to other navigation apps on Android maybe another story.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
The thing that held me back from the S was how huge it was.

My boss just got an S3 and I was pretty shocked by how big it was as well. I'm sure it's a good phone but it's like putting a cd case up to your head.

PS: Cnet loves the Droid Razr Maxx (rated better than both iPhone 5 and SIII).

Also, I've been looking at phones for my wife and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is a really good phone and not as huge as the SIII. Just puttin' it out there...

Last edited: