Concerns heading into Iowa Game

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
After watching the Tulsa game a few times, two areas for concern are:

1. Special Teams play - Both returning and defending.
    1. Most if not all returns were fair catches = zero return yards.
    2. Defending returns had two or three runs that were almost touchdown returns for Tulsa.
    3. Messingham was Special Teams coach last year. Whoever it is this year has a long ways to go.
  2. Offensive Line Play
    1. Left Tackle on pass plays was lit up by Tulsa's DE all night long. Many sacks, QB hurries from this side alone. On the long bomb TD to Lenz, Brun was pushed right into Jantz' grill as he released the ball and not sure if the LT also got blown up.
    2. On the safety, the left side Tackle/Guard let the defensive player right through without a block and RG Lichtenberg didn't have a chance of getting there before Woody was sacked in the end zone.

To me, the biggest area of concern of these is special teams KO and punt coverage. Iowa historically is very sound on special teams and those almost TD's by Tulsa will be TD's by Iowa if the same mistakes are made.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Kick coverage is the thing that scares me the most. Our coverage was atrocious and it'll be a lot harder to recover momentum in Kinnick than it was last week in Jack Trice.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I'm concerned about both too, as competition starts getting better those long returns will turn into TDs and the DEs will be getting faster and stronger. It will be a lot harder to recover from these problems if they continue

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I agree with the concern regarding kick coverage. It would be nice if we could find a kicker that could consistently put the ball in the end zone.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Simple solution...kick it in the end zone and let our defense do their job.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I think the biggest concern is much more obvious than those things that have been listed. I'm most concerned with how Jantz will play. While he didn't make the glaring mistakes on Saturday (which may be an indicator of progress), I was a little concerned with his tentativeness. And, strangely enough, I thought he seemed more tentative in the 2nd half. There were some plays where he just kind of locked up and couldn't pull the trigger.

While Jantz has proven to be a play-maker, he hasn't yet proven that he can effectively lead the offense in an environment like Kinnick. I think this is the biggest unknown heading into Saturday. Combine this with a past tendency to make ill-advised throws, and this is my biggest concern.

Given that I think ISU is a better overall team, I'd prefer that we take a conservative approach with our QB play at the outset. Really work hard to establish the run, and don't ask SJ to make too many plays through the air early. Let the offense get settled in, then work from there.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
On 2. 2., the left guard/tackle is supposed to let him free so that he can go up field and block...the right pulling lineman needs to get there faster to blow up the guy left untouched

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I'm concerned that we'll beat the Hawkeyes too badly and they will want to end the series.

But really kick coverage is my biggest concern.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I thought the first couple of kick offs we were trying to pin them inside the 20. He just did not get enough height on the ball.
My biggest concern is that our guys need to tackle better.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX

2. Defending returns had two or three runs that were almost touchdown returns for Tulsa.
    3. Messingham was Special Teams coach last year. Whoever it is this year has a long ways to go.
  2. Offensive Line Play
    1. Left Tackle on pass plays was lit up by Tulsa's DE all night long. Many sacks, QB hurries from this side alone. On the long bomb TD to Lenz, Brun was pushed right into Jantz' grill as he released the ball and not sure if the LT also got blown up.
    2. On the safety, the left side Tackle/Guard let the defensive player right through without a block and RG Lichtenberg didn't have a chance of getting there before Woody was sacked in the end zone.

To me, the biggest area of concern of these is special teams KO and punt coverage. Iowa historically is very sound on special teams and those almost TD's by Tulsa will be TD's by Iowa if the same mistakes are made.

On your punt return point, there punter had some great hang time. He didn't really have a bad kick and Horne never really had a chance to return one. That will change with each team. Their punter was just on his game.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
I feel Iowa will work on the contain since Steele breaking to the outside seemed to be the breaking point for Iowa's D.

Between the tackles was the weak spot for their run D during the NIU game... Will they load the box with the safety and give Steele man on man coverage or are they going to let the run game dominate.

Either way, looks good for us. I hope Steele can get it done in Kinnick.. he needs a good road performance

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

2. Offensive Line Play

Historically, we have been. But not the last few years. We seem to always miss at least one FG that should be an easy make. We've been getting burned on onside kicks, fake punts, and KF seems to prefer return guys whom he can trust not to fumble rather than who have the potential to break one. Hyde is an explosive runner with the ability to make good things happen, but all in all, I don't see special teams/return play as any kind of advantage for Iowa.

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
My two concerns are kick coverage and play calling. I usually don't say anything about play calling as I know that I don't know nearly as much as our coaching staff, but a counter in the end zone just seemed like a bad idea. You know they are going to send everybody and lining up in the I with Woody running up the middle has been fairly successful before. I also felt that the bubble screen was used a lot, was this just because it was working and Tulsa wasn't properly defending it, is this our new game plan, or were they purposefully trying to pad Steele's stats?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
My two concerns are kick coverage and play calling. I usually don't say anything about play calling as I know that I don't know nearly as much as our coaching staff, but a counter in the end zone just seemed like a bad idea. You know they are going to send everybody and lining up in the I with Woody running up the middle has been fairly successful before. I also felt that the bubble screen was used a lot, was this just because it was working and Tulsa wasn't properly defending it, is this our new game plan, or were they purposefully trying to pad Steele's stats?

The kick coverage was just horrible, and something that will be addressed.

The play on the 3 yard line was just plain stupid, hopefully we will not see anything like that again this year. I think ISU has some great coaches, but they really had a brain fart on that one.

Tulsa was playing their DBs 8-10 yards off the line most of the game and that play was available. I give the coaches credit for taking what was there, rather than having an agenda of plays to call. Most likely we will not see the bubble that often again this year.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas

Really? In multiple pre and post game interviews the coaching staff (Mess in particular) talked about taking what the defense gives you. That is what they did and why the bubble screen was run multiple times. As for padding Steele's stats.........come on......the guy only won the starting job last week. Its not like the coaching staff is trying to push him for the Davey Obrien award. Padding stats.......ridiculous.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think the biggest concern is much more obvious than those things that have been listed. I'm most concerned with how Jantz will play. While he didn't make the glaring mistakes on Saturday (which may be an indicator of progress), I was a little concerned with his tentativeness. And, strangely enough, I thought he seemed more tentative in the 2nd half. There were some plays where he just kind of locked up and couldn't pull the trigger.

While Jantz has proven to be a play-maker, he hasn't yet proven that he can effectively lead the offense in an environment like Kinnick. I think this is the biggest unknown heading into Saturday. Combine this with a past tendency to make ill-advised throws, and this is my biggest concern.

Given that I think ISU is a better overall team, I'd prefer that we take a conservative approach with our QB play at the outset. Really work hard to establish the run, and don't ask SJ to make too many plays through the air early. Let the offense get settled in, then work from there.

I'm concerned about Jantz and nothing else. If he plays a clean game I think we win. Assuming others don't give away the ball to make up for it.

CychoCyclone

Oct 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids

to sorta add to your pont about playcalling, i felt like we got overly conservative in the 3rd quarter cuz we were up 15. not that thats exactly a flaw in playcalling i'd just rather not see us let teams crawl back in on us the way tulsa did. i hope that mess is just getting his feet wet though, i trust him and think hes gonna put together a great game plan for saturday. just in the future dont wanna see us take our foot off the gas so early.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA

The poor guy accounts for 3 tds, and completes 70% of his passes, and you have to pick out the few negatives. Perhaps his "tentativeness" is reading defenses better and avoiding those ill-advised throws.

Steele needs to use the entire package for us to be successful. That includes eating the ball or throwing it out-of-bounds when there just isn't anything there. I wasn't sure he was the right choice at first, but if he keeps playing like he did against Tulsa, I think we'll be more than ok.

WE HAVE TO GET PRESSURE ON THE QB!!!!! No matter how good the pass coverage is, nobody can guard a receiver forever.