Bob Knight Comments

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I was listening to the "Mike and Mike" show this morning where they had Bob Knight on discussing the NCAA tournament. One of the Mikes then made a comment about how tough the Big 10 is this year from top to bottom. Bob Knight then proceeded to say that the Big 10 is just very "even" from top to bottom, then proceeded to say that there is a difference between a conference being really good overall and it being very even. Then to hit home his comment on the Big 10 being even, he contrasted it to the Big 12 where he said that he hasn't seen two better teams in the country than Kansas and Missouri, and they are both in the same conference.

There was no doubt from his wording that he was playing down the Big 10 and propping up the Big 12. He went even deeper into it too than just this, for example, by callling teams like Michigan State and Ohio State pretty good, but not elite teams.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I know Bob Knight did coach in the Big 12, but don't you think he would still be somewhat of a Big 10 homer?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I know Bob Knight did coach in the Big 12, but don't you think he would still be somewhat of a Big 10 homer?

Hes not a homer at all. If the Big 12 sucked, he would say the Big 12 sucked. He would talk his own teams down if they sucked. The dude gave back his salary one year because he thought he sucked.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ohio State is a pretty good team. MSU and Michigan aren't that great though. I don't think Michigan could beat us now. We are so much better than when we played them.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I really like Bobby Knight and can understand why he and Johny Orr got along so well.

Obviously he had some anger issues and it was really unfortunate Indiana had to run him out of town. Great, great basketball mind however and I really enjoy it when he announces games on ESPN(so much smarter than **** Vitale).

One of the cooler things I've ever seen was when Coach K asked him to do is induction into the Basketball hall of farme. They had been having a few issues prior to that, but Coach Knight meant so much to Coach K that he wanted him do it and Bobby was extremely eloquent in his speech.

I'd say his comments are right on. Not sure if I'd put KU and MU on such a pedestal, but the Big 10 has seemed extremely ordinary this year to me.

Last edited:

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Robert Montgomery Knight doesn't give a **** what anyone thinks about anything. He has no reason to shine anyone on...and doesn't. I'd love to hear his takes on some of Dougie G.'s "analysis".

stormchaser

May 15, 2008
Yep, he has to have some wisdom with all that experiance. The great thing is in another week, were about to find out just how good everyone is!!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Knight knows Xs and Os, but he still remains.......a total jerk. He put the a in arrogant.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Robert Montgomery Knight doesn't give a **** what anyone thinks about anything. He has no reason to shine anyone on...and doesn't. I'd love to hear his takes on some of Dougie G.'s "analysis".

I'd love to hear what he thinks of Dougie McD!

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Knight knows Xs and Os, but he still remains.......a total jerk. He put the a in arrogant.

He can be a jerk but he can also be the nicest, most respectful individual in the world. Just cause he acted like an *** clown on the sidelines doesn't mean he is a jerk.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Ohio State is a pretty good team. MSU and Michigan aren't that great though. I don't think Michigan could beat us now. We are so much better than when we played them.

I think MSU was the best team in that conference and a legit title contender until Dawson tore his ACL

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

And yet, most of his former players would say that he had a very positive impact on their life. He may have been intense on the sidelines but the dude knows basketball and could teach the sport.

I love listening to Mr. Knight calling games.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I think Knight had very high expectations out of himself and his players and when they failed to meet expectations, he didn't take it well. Throwing the chair, choking his son, etc. Watching the "Knight School" program on ESPN a few years back showed that he really places an emphasis on going to class and also on keeping track of things both on and off the court.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I think Knight had very high expectations out of himself and his players and when they failed to meet expectations, he didn't take it well. Throwing the chair, choking his son, etc. Watching the "Knight School" program on ESPN a few years back showed that he really places an emphasis on going to class and also on keeping track of things both on and off the court.
Weird he emphasized the term STUDENT-athlete...not that he should or anything... :jimlad: