Best dorm for me?

cystand2012

Feb 9, 2012
I know there's already a couple dorm questions, but this is a bit more specific. For my housing app I put down Martin Hall as my first option and Friley as my second, co-ed floors on both. The only thing that I am worried about with Martin is the partying/getting to know people aspect :v_SPIN: ... is this hall as upbeat as the others? I don't want to feel like I'm cooped in a hotel room, just like the additional added privacy that that hall seems to have to offer.. thanks in advance

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I never lived in Martin, but whenever I went there it seemed like mini apartments inside of a dorm. It's obviously really nice though.
Friley, while not as new as Martin or Eaton, would probably be better for getting to know more people.

I lived in Eaton for 2 years and it was a mix of the two. Nice rooms, but everybody kept their doors open and you could easily meet people. I'm still friends with quite a few people I met those 2 years. Eaton is also CO-ED floors.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
I know there's already a couple dorm questions, but this is a bit more specific. For my housing app I put down Martin Hall as my first option and Friley as my second, co-ed floors on both. The only thing that I am worried about with Martin is the partying/getting to know people aspect :v_SPIN: ... is this hall as upbeat as the others? I don't want to feel like I'm cooped in a hotel room, just like the additional added privacy that that hall seems to have to offer.. thanks in advance

Dorms are what you make of them. I lived in Eaton and made a lot of really great friends. I also knew a ton of people in Martin and went over there. I also had friends in Friley and Helser...so in summary you'll probably meet people all over regardless of where you live.

Be open minded, don't study alone (do it in the den/study room), don't go to dinner alone, and bring a doorstop. You'll make some friends VERY fast.

Reactions: wxman1

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Dorms are what you make of them. I lived in Eaton and made a lot of really great friends. I also knew a ton of people in Martin and went over there. I also had friends in Friley and Helser...so in summary you'll probably meet people all over regardless of where you live.

Be open minded, don't study alone (do it in the den/study room), don't go to dinner alone, and bring a doorstop. You'll make some friends VERY fast.

Agreed. You can have fun and meet people in whatever dorm, or you can be antisocial and meet no one in any dorm as well. Its all what you make of it.

DoOrDie

Nov 3, 2010
Martin/Eaton would be last on my list.

Agreed. Lots of fun-haters there. Any by fun-haters, I mean people with large superiority complexes. Give me the dirty Larch any day of the week. You only get to experience your freshman year once, and you can live in nice places any time after that. Go for environment, not niceness of the accommodations.

Also - edited to say that this is obviously a generalization. There are probably great people that will live in Eaton/Martin - I just think they are fewer and much harder to find.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Agreed. Lots of fun-haters there. Any by fun-haters, I mean people with large superiority complexes. Give me the dirty Larch any day of the week. You only get to experience your freshman year once, and you can live in nice places any time after that. Go for environment, not niceness of the accommodations.
I lived in Eaton 2 years and never met any "fun haters". (besides my CA, the second year)
I think people just like to assume it's full of people like that because they are newer dorms.

EDIT: Just missed your Edit.

C

CyBer

Yours truly representing Helser, Firkins. About 4-5 years ago.
2h67on6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I lived in Martin and had a really good time. Gets a bad rap from a lot of people because it's an easy target but don't take advice from people ripping on something they never experienced. If someone here lived in Martin and didn't enjoy it, that would be valid.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Lived in Eaton and loved it for many reasons including how active people were on my floor. I would agree with those that say it is what you make of it.