Best dorm for me?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
MWL (specifically the WL part) would be my recommendation if you're social and like to party. They aren't nice, but they're definitely the "Animal House" of the ISU residence halls.

No kidding. I lived in Maple and there's a BIG difference between M and W and L. :eek:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Spent one year in the dorms, and absolutely loved living in Welch (keep in mind that this was 1991-92). I'm fairly outgoing, but I think even if I wasn't, it would have been an easy floor to meet other peeps. The only downside to how much fun was had was that we probably had one of the lower GPAs on campus as well.

Also, there were also a lot of house parties over at MWL Towers, so we'd hit those on Thursday/Friday nights before heading across Lincoln into someone's backyard to get our drink on.

South Towers was also a hell of a lot of fun, especially on hockey nights.

So, Welch. Welch was great.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% outgoing coming into college, but after living in dorms and always having my door open and stuff, totally changed me into an outgoing person.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Agree w/ Willow or Larch. Had a great time in Larch my freshman year. Also, as far as meeting new people go, make sure to check out Club Fest. There are SO many clubs at ISU and there is bound to be one that interests you. This is where I met most of my best friends (Paintball Club).

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
My son lives in Helser and loves it. He was a little skeptical at first because it does appear to be the biggest dump on campus. Probably most likely to survive a natural disaster too. When the wrecking ball hit the part they knocked down for the UDCC, it took a while to even faze the building. He's in Engineering and loves the convenience and other students on his floor in the same classes. The lack of air is not much of an issue except for the first couple of weeks.

He has friends in Martin and Eaton but when asked to room with them next year, he wanted no part of it. It costs a lot more and he thinks it is less social. He also didn't want to clean his own bathroom, lol. I guess if you are social to start with and don't need a push, Martin and Eaton are probably fine.

Loves the new State Gym too, and all of Union Drive is close to that.

I just looked up the cost and it's kind of ridiculous. Minimum of $5675 for a dorm for what, 9 months out of the year? $630/month and you don't even get a kitchen. As far as I remember, $630 was one of the most expensive places in Ames for APARTMENTS.

There is the social aspect, but some apartments can be social as well for sure. Not to mention, my first apartment was on North Hyland, which was a 2 minute walk to State Gym and cost me about $320/month with 2 other roommates and a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, etc and for a place from the 80s so it was still pretty nice. Friley is a minimum of $4000 it looks like and $320/month is $2800. Add in some utilities (maybe $10 or $20/month) and cable/internet (maybe $30/month for each roommate extra) and an apartment right off campus is a much better deal after you make a ton of friends in college.

Last edited:

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Join a fraternity. Way more readily accessable ways to get involved with school and the community. You will be in close association with both upperclassmen and underclassmen you know learn the school fast.

The close involvement with the sorority ladies is never a bad thing either.