Pulling Shayden's redshirt?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
In the post meet interview Jackson said they'll probably be pulling Shayden Terukina's redshirt pretty soon. Given Cash's issues I think this'll be great for the team. Terukina isn't going to be a world beater this year but he seems pretty solid and the best guy we have at the weight class. Nice to see the gamble they took recruiting him as a relative unknown has already paid off for the team.

Dec 6, 2009
In the post meet interview Jackson said they'll probably be pulling Shayden Terukina's redshirt pretty soon. Given Cash's issues I think this'll be great for the team. Terukina isn't going to be a world beater this year but he seems pretty solid and the best guy we have at the weight class. Nice to see the gamble they took recruiting him as a relative unknown has already paid off for the team.

Well Shayden wrestled really well today in the Cyclone open! He took first and was fun to watch.

Finch, Sorensen, Shafer, and Gibson all took first and Mike England took second! Great day of wrestling!

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
We aren't going to even be in the Top 5 this season so why wrestle the kid when we have other options? It would be a waste.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
With Meeks and Bauer coming in next year and Goettl, McCauley, Gabe Moreno and having Jones, Cash, Terukina all close together in weight and grade, not sure we shouldn't put the best guy in there. Those would be 133,141, and 149 pounders for the future.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Posted on Cyclone Report by cywr89

Cash/Mayfield are out for some time. I don't expect to see either for awhile (maybe Midlands). Barring injury, I believe the staff is planning on going with Shayden for the rest of the year at 133.

141-157 is a concern. I believe Goettl and Weatherman were held out more for precautionary reasons and should be ready for Old Dom. Moreno may not be ready.

Sorenson, Spangler, Beard, Gadsen and Gibson should round out the team.

I've seen a team battle injuries (especially concussions) as much as this team. The good news is there are no season ending injuries for anyone on the team at this time. Rather the team go through this issue now rather than in Feb/March.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
With Meeks and Bauer coming in next year and Goettl, McCauley, Gabe Moreno and having Jones, Cash, Terukina all close together in weight and grade, not sure we shouldn't put the best guy in there. Those would be 133,141, and 149 pounders for the future.

Agree with this completely. Let the kid wrestle. Get the best guy in there, put the best team we can on the mat. If Meeks turns out to be as good as advertised Terukina might not get much more chance at varsity. Of course he could just keep developing and be a stud, one never knows. Regardless. Let's see what he can do.

krieger

Jul 29, 2011
Put your best wrestler on the mat. Let the kids in the wrestling room try to beat him. True freshman or redshirt.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Posted on Cyclone Report by cywr89

Cash/Mayfield are out for some time. I don't expect to see either for awhile (maybe Midlands). Barring injury, I believe the staff is planning on going with Shayden for the rest of the year at 133.

141-157 is a concern. I believe Goettl and Weatherman were held out more for precautionary reasons and should be ready for Old Dom. Moreno may not be ready.

Sorenson, Spangler, Beard, Gadsen and Gibson should round out the team.

I've seen a team battle injuries (especially concussions) as much as this team. The good news is there are no season ending injuries for anyone on the team at this time. Rather the team go through this issue now rather than in Feb/March.

We're also way better off depthwise than last year (though not as deep as we'll be in a year or two). So losing people with injuries sucks, but doesn't automatically lead to forfeits or throwing out sacrificial lambs like it did last year. Though as tough as 133 is in the conference this year Shayden's record probably won't be as hot as we might like.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

Anything we get out of Bauer will be a bonus. I don't see him doing much at the D-1 level. Jones and Cash are nothing to write home about. In addition, I don't see Meeks any lower than 141 but I have been wrong before.

Let Jones/Cash wrestle 133 and Shayden can redshirt.

cykitt

Sep 20, 2007
They are going to hold out Beard til the Okla State- Okla weekend. They said he is a bit banged up.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
They are going to hold out Beard til the Okla State- Okla weekend. They said he is a bit banged up.
Are you serious? WTF is going on here? This is not just one wrestler, the whole team is practically going down. This is absurd. KJ is going to have to answer for some of this. We can't have just recruited the most injury prone wrestlers in the country. I have never heard of anything like this.

You do mean the Bedlam game right, or are we talking the actual duals?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Some may be being overly cautious. Some may be how hard they are working. I think that we should be able to beat Old Dominion without Beard, especially if Shafer is filling in.

If the Old Dominion lineup looks like this, I think we are okay.
125 - Finch
133 - Jones or Terukina
141 - Goettl ??? (not going to be Mayfield)
149 - Weatherman
157 - Moreno ??? (heard Cozart will not see starting lineup anywhere for a while)
165 - Sorenson
174 - Spangler (I heard he will be back for this dual)
184 - Shafer ??
197 - Gadsen (I heard he will wrestle against Old Dominion, if not Shafer)
Hwt - Gibson (Not sure on this, hope so if not Christensen)

The week after is when KJ wants the full lineup healthy, at home against Oklahoma State on Friday and Oklahoma on Sunday. Then Iowa the Sunday after. He does not want our guys dinged up for those 3 duals.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Some may be being overly cautious. Some may be how hard they are working. I think that we should be able to beat Old Dominion without Beard, especially if Shafer is filling in.

If the Old Dominion lineup looks like this, I think we are okay.
125 - Finch
133 - Jones or Terukina
141 - Goettl ??? (not going to be Mayfield)
149 - Weatherman
157 - Moreno ??? (heard Cozart will not see starting lineup anywhere for a while)
165 - Sorenson
174 - Spangler (I heard he will be back for this dual)
184 - Shafer ??
197 - Gadsen (I heard he will wrestle against Old Dominion, if not Shafer)
Hwt - Gibson (Not sure on this, hope so if not Christensen)

The week after is when KJ wants the full lineup healthy, at home against Oklahoma State on Friday and Oklahoma on Sunday. Then Iowa the Sunday after. He does not want our guys dinged up for those 3 duals.

Makes sense, I just still can't remember an ISU team where all their top guys were struggling this much to stay on the mat.

And what is wrong with Cozart? Is he just not there yet, or is he in some kind of trouble? Weatherman has not looked like the answer at 149.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Are you serious? WTF is going on here? This is not just one wrestler, the whole team is practically going down. This is absurd. KJ is going to have to answer for some of this. We can't have just recruited the most injury prone wrestlers in the country. I have never heard of anything like this.

You do mean the Bedlam game right, or are we talking the actual duals?

You realize we wrestle Ok. St. 11/25 and OU 11/27, right? The only competition Beard would be missing in this scenario is Old Dominion this weekend.

I'm not sure how KJ can be blamed for the 3 concussions in those first 2 duals, other than just ridiculously bad luck. Aside from that, Gadson and Simonson (and I believe Spanger as well) had off-season surgery....again, not KJ's fault. I have no doubt that these guys are training extremely hard right now so maybe some of the "dinged up" stuff comes from that, but I can't lay much of what is going on at KJ's feet, unless I get more info. All that said, I'd a lot rather have it going on now than in March.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
You realize we wrestle Ok. St. 11/25 and OU 11/27, right? The only competition Beard would be missing in this scenario is Old Dominion this weekend.

I'm not sure how KJ can be blamed for the 3 concussions in those first 2 duals, other than just ridiculously bad luck. Aside from that, Gadson and Simonson (and I believe Spanger as well) had off-season surgery....again, not KJ's fault. I have no doubt that these guys are training extremely hard right now so maybe some of the "dinged up" stuff comes from that, but I can't lay much of what is going on at KJ's feet, unless I get more info. All that said, I'd a lot rather have it going on now than in March.
If they don't start getting some matches in they are never going to qualify. All our guys have to get at large bids this year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Not sure what we do at 149, 157, 165, if we have injuries there. Sorenson has nobody there except Logan Molina (a true frosh), Moreno (not sure who wrestles if he can go), Weatherman (Cozart is suppose to be our depth at 149 and 157, but seems to be in hot water with the coaches after this past weekends effort).

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
If they don't start getting some matches in they are never going to qualify. All our guys have to get at large bids this year.

Not true. The conference champion doesn't receive an a****id if no one at the weight class has qualified, but other than that it is the same as last year. And it is very unlikely that there won't be at least one wrestler in the conference per weightclass that earns an a****id.

Edit: No idea why auto bid is filtered.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron