Jerry Kill's contract extended

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
I saw this and about feel over. First, the guy has some major health issues (not good for recruiting, according to Bobby Bowden). Second, he's lost to two Division IAA teams over the past two seasons. I wish Minnesota and Indiana were in the Big 12...

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I saw this and about feel over. First, the guy has some major health issues (not good for recruiting, according to Bobby Bowden). Second, he's lost to two Division IAA teams over the past two seasons. I wish Minnesota and Indiana were in the Big 12...

This is his first year at Minnesota, unless you mean he lost to a FCS team at Northern Illinois last year?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
What I heard yesterday is that Minnesota gave him an extension because they needed some stability to bring in recruits. The recruits didn't want to sign with Minne because they thought there would be a HC change as soon as they got there.

In a world where coaches are fired mid season all the time it is nice to see a school back their HC like this. If they think he is the guy that can help turn them around then this is exactly the right move.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I think it is great! I believe they said on TV that both of his previous HC jobs started out with 1 win seasons. Both years 3 ended with 10 wins. Not predicting that at Minnesota because it is harder to make that big of a leap in such a short time but that guy can coach! Good for him!

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
With the status of the Minnesota program the last several years, we have not focused our recruiting there as much as we should. It'd be nice to have some of the linemen that go to Wisky from Minn come down to Ames instead. ARob was a good pick from Minny, too. There is talent to be had.

Do not like to see anyone have serious health problems, but whenever there is some kind of turmoil of issue, one has to take advantage of it. Like when Floyd left, in swoops Roy Williams.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Jerry Kill, Minnesota agree to contract - chicagotribune.com

I don't get this at all. I understand you need to finalize his contract and at least give the guy a shot, especially considering he has physical problems, but add more years? :confused: Wonder what his buyout is?

The Big Ten is a lot more comparable to the Mountain West than the Big 12 or SEC.

And that might be giving the bottom of the Big Ten too much credit. Big Ten vs. any team with "Dakota" in the name is pretty much and automatic loss for the Big Ten these days.

Bowl season may be ugly for them, most of the conference is going to have 2-4 wins inflating their record against conference foes that got pounded by FCS teams and Army. Iowa can win 7 games without beating a team in the top 70.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
He was a good coach at Northern Illinois but success at MAC level doesn't always transform to BCS conference especially Minny is on the low end of the totem pole with Indiana.
On the other hand, Tim Brewster really destoryed the program: good recruiter but horrible coach.
Without knowing the details of the contracts, we'll never know how good/bad the contract is for Minny but still, 7 years ? Why doesn't Maturi give 4 years and extend it later if things go well ?

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
his contract: the devil is most certainly in the details - regarding buyout, etc.