What would you do?

If ISU had the option to join the SEC would want them to do that?

• Yes

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 82 82.8%

• Total voters

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
If ISU was in the same situation as MU what would you want? The SEC is a cesspool of NCAA violators, and I'm guessing that isn't changing anytime soon. There may be more stability and more money, but at what cost?

I'm guessing our fans would be doing the same thing Missouri fans are doing, but I'm pretty sure the grass isn't greener on that side of the fence.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
No. I relish the opportunity to travel to the game in Columbia as well as games in Lawrence and Manhattan. I love the Big 12 Tournament in KC. Road trips would die.

Missouri will become the Baylor and Colorado (when they were in the Big 12) of the SEC as far as fan travel. They are going to get passed over in every bowl because the SEC teams...all of them...fill stadiums.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Sure would increase the size of the recruiting map...

And now LSU, Florida, etc can invade the Missouri recruiting landscape as well. Pinkel has done a good job at closing the doors to outsiders. This would open up an entire conference to invade KC and St. Louis athletes.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Big 10 - YES, SEC - NO - I want ISU to be relevant. If we were in SEC, we would be like Vandy and Kentucky for football. Maybe worse because who would want to come to Ames to play in the SEC?

I think Mizzou is making a HUGE mistake.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Big 10 - YES, SEC - NO - I want ISU to be relevant. If we were in SEC, we would be like Vandy and Kentucky for football. Maybe worse because who would want to come to Ames to play in the SEC?

I agree. I'm surprised that Missouri's fans are so pumped about joining the SEC. How bad is this conference when people embrace the opportunity to compete against that cesspool of cheaters?

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

As James Carville said in the debate portion of Old School vs Frank the Tank, "We have no response, that was perfect." Well said.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t_obhieaPE]Old School - Best Scene - YouTube[/ame]

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I see ISU joining the SEC as being on par with joining the MWC.

Our basketball would be fine, but our football program would die.

We'd be back to the 90's from a football standpoint. Program suicide.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
as someone else said: Big 10 or staying Big 12 - Yes, anywhere else - No. I like playing the "local" teams. What used to be Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska....or now Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois...teams I understand and fan bases that I have actual interaction with.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17FBIoOJOhg]Team America - What would you do - YouTube[/ame]

What would you do, if you were asked to give up your dreams for freedom?

Ha.

You would have to pay your "buck-o-five" for sure.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
No. I relish the opportunity to travel to the game in Columbia as well as games in Lawrence and Manhattan. I love the Big 12 Tournament in KC. Road trips would die.

Missouri will become the Baylor and Colorado (when they were in the Big 12) of the SEC as far as fan travel. They are going to get passed over in every bowl because the SEC teams...all of them...fill stadiums.

I'd have to disagree with that...at least in the short term. Many Mizzou fans are looking forward to trading road trips to Lubbock, Manhattan, Waco, and Stillwater for Baton Rouge, the Grove at Ole Miss, Knoxville, and other big football destinations.

I respect the fact that the SEC is the best conference in football. But they're not ALL invincible. Is our conference so weak that a B12 team that averaged 10 wins per year for the past 4 years is all of a sudden going to become a doormat to South Carolina? Miss. St.? Auburn? (BTW...I think Chezik's deal with Satan just expired) Even ISU nearly beat Alabama a while back in the Indy Bowl (and depending on the camera angle for that FG, they might have.)

My point is, the team that constantly struggle in BCS conferences (Indiana, Wash. St., Vandy, Baylor, etc.) have structural issues: outdated facilities, minimal fan support, apathetic attitude towards winning. We have none of that. We've been in the top 25 for avg. attendence for the past several years. Our athletic budget is on par with others in the SEC (minus the TV revenue issue). We compete in 20 different sports. We'll be fine.

The question should read: Would you pick the SEC, or whatever becomes of KU, KSU, and the remains of the Big East/MWC after the next round(s) of realignment? Maybe the answer might be different.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd have to disagree with that...at least in the short term. Many Mizzou fans are looking forward to trading road trips to Lubbock, Manhattan, Waco, and Stillwater for Baton Rouge, the Grove at Ole Miss, Knoxville, and other big football destinations.

I respect the fact that the SEC is the best conference in football. But they're not ALL invincible. Is our conference so weak that a B12 team that averaged 10 wins per year for the past 4 years is all of a sudden going to become a doormat to South Carolina? Miss. St.? Auburn? (BTW...I think Chezik's deal with Satan just expired) Even ISU nearly beat Alabama a while back in the Indy Bowl (and depending on the camera angle for that FG, they might have.)

My point is, the team that constantly struggle in BCS conferences (Indiana, Wash. St., Vandy, Baylor, etc.) have structural issues: outdated facilities, minimal fan support, apathetic attitude towards winning. We have none of that. We've been in the top 25 for avg. attendence for the past several years. Our athletic budget is on par with others in the SEC (minus the TV revenue issue). We compete in 20 different sports. We'll be fine.

The question should read: Would you pick the SEC, or whatever becomes of KU, KSU, and the remains of the Big East/MWC after the next round(s) of realignment? Maybe the answer might be different.

A) Mizzou will never be left out in the cold

B) If Mizzou stays, the likelihood of that happening decreases

You guys are just star struck, pure and simple. The next few weeks/months will tell us if your admins are too. You just want to chant "SEC" and care about nothing else. By moving to the SEC you create the very thing you cite as the reason for doing so.

Emotion is ruling your fanbase, not logic.

If everything does go blow up, we'll be sure to write from the Big 10.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

The problem with the bolded part is that you will be in the SEC West.

Do you really really think that you can compete year in and year out with LSU? With Alabama? Tennesee has too much tradition to stay down for long. Even that South Carolina team you mocked is ranked in the top 20.

As I said about a&m's lack of chance to compete in the sec, you won't recruit on the same level as the teams that you are playing against.

And, like it or not, the Midwest is NOT part of SEC culture. You will lose some of those recruits you compete with fox 12 teams for because of that.

It will be a pretty quick descent. When you are ONLY beating Vandy and UK, maybe Ole Miss, all of the t-shirt fans that we lament, and long for on here, will lose interest pretty quickly.

Pinkel's a competitor. Obviously, he thinks that he is great and they can win against that competition. But, the odds are waaaaayyyyy stacked against him. If he thought Ou and ut were beasts, wait till you line up against Alabama, LSU, Mississippi State even.

You make emotional decisions, and you pay for them in the long run. Aggy is doing that now too.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
You guys are all wrong:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3NomDl8DIE]Brett Favre: "Rise" (What Should I Do) (Over Lebron James Rise Nike Commercial) - YouTube[/ame]

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
A) Mizzou will never be left out in the cold

18 months ago, I would have agreed with you. Then a has-been football power with sketchy academics from a state half the size of Iowa took our spot in the Big 10. It made me a little more skeptical.

B) If Mizzou stays, the likelihood of that happening decreases

As much as I wish that were true, this conference hangs on the commitment of TX and OU. Lose either one, and we're toast. Mizzou doesn't have that kind of clout in the Big 12, and probably never will.

You guys are just star struck, pure and simple. The next few weeks/months will tell us if your admins are too. You just want to chant "SEC" and care about nothing else. By moving to the SEC you create the very thing you cite as the reason for doing so.

God I hope not. I HATE that chant. Who cheers for a conference, anyway? I'm glad we're moving to the SEC, but now I want every one of them to lose. Every game. That's what being in a conference is about. :)

Emotion is ruling your fanbase, not logic.

There IS a lot of emotion from the fanbase right now (mostly euphoria). But that doesn't mean it's not the right decision for Mizzou. The SEC offers historical stability and great revenue potential. The emotional decision would be to ignore that in favor of staying with teams that we've played for a long time.

If everything does go blow up, we'll be sure to write from the Big 10.

I'll assume this is tongue-in-cheek, and that most Cyclones have given up on the fantasy of a Big 10 invite. It's nothing against ISU...but the B1G has its eyes on only 1 team: ND. And if they get them, they'll add any other team they want. Or not. Remember, this is a conference that stayed with eleven members for like, 15 years! They LIVE to be anarchronistic.

If the B1G were to invite ISU, they would get a quality research institution in the midwest with solid-if-unspectacular football and some other well-regarded athletic programs. And absolutely ZERO new revenue for their cash cow, the BTN. As they've shown, they'll pay lip service to those other things, but when it counts, they want the matchups and the money. If they can't get a windfall from #14-16, they won't do it. And even though I'm new here, I know this has been talked to death already. :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron