To Sit or to Stand?

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I've never understood the point of someone standing the entire game (outside of the student section,) but asking a fan, season ticket holder of 25 years, to leave for standing during a 3rd down is a major fail on the part of the Cleveland Browns.

C

CyBer

Yeah I don't get that either, I also am not bothered by someone sitting down (especially if older). But everyone should try to stand up on big downs.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Stand during play and sit during timeouts, reviews, etc. You are in the "stands" so stand, unless injury, older in age, high blood alcohol, or handicapped.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Since there is a thread over on HN about the same thing, I'll just post what I said over there:

Stand when the situation calls for it (3rd downs, 4th downs, etc), sure. But to stand for the sake of standing is idiotic. It seems like people that do this think this will win the game for their team... it won't. You are a fan. If you want to win the game for your team, tryouts are in August.

At the Iowa/Iowa State game There is an old couple that have seats in front of me, and the ol 'guy can't move around that well. The Iowa fan and his girl that had the seats the next row down stood in front of the old man (and me) the whole game. There was NO ONE standing in front of the Hawk fans. While I could stand and see over him, the poor ol' guy had a lot more trouble and pretty much gave up after a while.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Since there is a thread over on HN about the same thing, I'll just post what I said over there:

Stand when the situation calls for it (3rd downs, 4th downs, etc), sure. But to stand for the sake of standing is idiotic. It seems like people that do this think this will win the game for their team... it won't. You are a fan. If you want to win the game for your team, tryouts are in August.

At the Iowa/Iowa State game There is an old couple that have seats in front of me, and the ol 'guy can't move around that well. The Iowa fan and his girl that had the seats the next row down stood in front of the old man (and me) the whole game. There was NO ONE standing in front of the Hawk fans. While I could stand and see over him, the poor ol' guy had a lot more trouble and pretty much gave up after a while.

During the Iowa game, there was some Hawk fans that were high school age. My buddy that I was with (and is a big dude) just politely grabbed their shoulders and sat them down. That seemed to be a successful strategy.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I have a really hard time sitting down while the ball is in play. Too pumped up to just sit on my butt, plus I love making as much noise as possible.

During the Iowa game, I was in the endzone, I got our section standing up and making noise during much of the game, it took a lot of yelling and coaxing, but everyone did great once they were into it. An elderly woman sitting behind me was hugging me after the win, telling me she was so proud of my school spirit and how loud I yelled, I didn't have the heart to her much of it could be attributed to the 10 oz. of Vodka I drank during the second half.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Old guys should have asked them to sit down.

Asked them? :biglaugh:

We are talking about hok fans right? No.... I think the only appropriate response would be to deliver a crisp kidney punch which would have forced them to sit down. :yes:

H

HGPuck

My personal favorite, the standing fan who is turned to the side talking to his buddy and is not watching the play. But boy does he like to yell or cheer towards the end of of the play when everyone around him gets excited or after it. And maybe its been pure coincidence, but every fan I've ever sat by who wants to stand more than everyone around them, at the hundreds of sporting events I've been to, does this at least a handful of times per game if not more.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Crowd noise can have a major impact on a game. Just one false start penalty or wasted timeout can impact the outcome of a game. Yelling, and making noise can only help the team... there is no possible way that sitting on your butt like a statue can help your team. And I don't care what anyone says, standing leads to yelling and making noise, sitting leads to.... well, sitting.

ISU BB fans, and anyone who has been to Hilton, they know what kind of impact crowd noise can have on a game. It can also help in football, though usually to a lesser extent than basketball.

C

CyBer

I have a really hard time sitting down while the ball is in play. Too pumped up to just sit on my butt, plus I love making as much noise as possible.

During the Iowa game, I was in the endzone, I got our section standing up and making noise during much of the game, it took a lot of yelling and coaxing, but everyone did great once they were into it. An elderly woman sitting behind me was hugging me after the win, telling me she was so proud of my school spirit and how loud I yelled, I didn't have the heart to her much of it could be attributed to the 10 oz. of Vodka I drank during the second half.

The guy I was standing next to in the student section didn't know any of the cheers so I helped him out for a while and he got way into it. Kept asking me what the penalties were for too. I think he had a great experience, especially because we won in OT against Ioway.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I prefer to stand, but I also am cautious that I'm not blocking people (too much) from see the game. I guess I just get into the game to a point where it's hard to watch it from a sitting position.

C

CyBer

Asked them? :biglaugh:

We are talking about hok fans right? No.... I think the only appropriate response would be to deliver a crisp kidney punch which would have forced them to sit down. :yes:

Oh yeah forgot about the hawk fan part. Swift kick to the kidneys would have worked.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Crowd noise can have a major impact on a game. Just one false start penalty or wasted timeout can impact the outcome of a game. Yelling, and making noise can only help the team... there is no possible way that sitting on your butt like a statue can help your team. And I don't care what anyone says, standing leads to yelling and making noise, sitting leads to.... well, sitting.

ISU BB fans, and anyone who has been to Hilton, they know what kind of impact crowd noise can have on a game. It can also help in football, though usually to a lesser extent than basketball.

Did you not read the very first sentence in my post? Here it is again - read slowly: Stand when the situation calls for it (3rd downs, 4th downs, etc), sure.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Did you not read the very first sentence in my post? Here it is again - read slowly: Stand when the situation calls for it (3rd downs, 4th downs, etc), sure.

Yeah... so you admit that making noise on 3rd or 4th down can help the team? So why would making noise on 1st and 2nd down be any different? Read that slowly...

In fact, there are more 1st and 2nd downs over the course of the game, so making noise on every down should have more of an impact on the game than simply yelling on 3rd or 4th down.

Reactions: HiltonMagic
C

CyBer

Yeah... so you admit that making noise on 3rd or 4th down can help the team? So why would making noise on 1st and 2nd down be any different? Read that slowly...

In fact, there are more 1st and 2nd downs over the course of the game, so making noise on every down should have more of an impact on the game than simply yelling on 3rd or 4th down.

Have to agree with you, though old people can't stand the whole game on account of their knees and hips.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron